Tanked - TV show

303765_285903061425719_168342096515150_1270160_500260911_s.jpg

LFS guy with the dudes from Tanked. He spent a lot of time out there with them this past week. He's going to start carrying their frozen fish food line, when it comes out; and we'll be able to order tanks from them - through the LFS. :)

Reason for sale given is this:
Tank is for sale do to financial and personal issues

At least you can see it does have some equipment to back it up...

@amalick, i think you may as well just post it here as I can imagine what your inbox is gonna be like :tt2:

Ok, I will try to explain.

Step 1 : Open a local only account with an ISP of you choice. I use openweb : www.openweb.co.za. But you could also use Axxess and im sure there are others.

Step 2: There is a local SA site : www.newshost.za.net where members post newsgroup links (called articles) to all kinds of apps, videos, games etc... The series and stuff normally land within hours after airing in the states. All members then jointly download pieces of the articles which then caches the files locally in no time so we kinda help on another to make it cheap and fast.

Step 3 : You put the links to stuff you want into a news leecher like "Grabit" which is freely avaialble on the net. Link here GrabIt :: Download

Step 4 : and finally you setup grabit to use the local only account and fetch the articles you want from your ISP's news server. Openwebs news server is called news.is.co.za. My Grabit runs on a seperate old PC that I had lying around and runs 24/7.

Once everything is setup is pretty simple "point and click". A full episode of something thats an hour long or about 600mb big comes down in under 5 minutes.

The only glitch that I can see for you guys only wanting to start doing this now, is that Newshost.za.net is not allowing any new members at the moment.

I'll do some research and see if there are any other local news groups around.

Here is a link that explains things in a more detail for Noob's : News Servers And Usenet For Noobs

its pretty complicated.. that newsgroup stuff

So I got to see the 1st two Episodes of Tanked yesterday...:)..I love the program..will be the first to admitt that they shouldn't use ANY of these Episodes for Educational Purposes..:lol::lol:..but overall it shows how awesome a Tank can be..:thumbup:..downside of cause is that every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to go and buy a Tank without realising the hard work that goes into maintaining a successful Marine Tank..:(..but have to add that...this is the type of Program you show you'r "non reefer"..:p..hubby "knows" a bit more than the "first time marine virgin" watching the Tanked Episode..but even he was interested in what a person can do with a Tank..never again will he think of a Fish Tank as a "plain-old-Jane" square..hopefully the 1st Season is to "reel you in" and the next Season is more on the hard work involved...I do realise they are more "Tank Designers" and so it's possible that the next Season will just be more of "fancy tanks"...Entertainment only...then I guess Mr Saltman can do the Educational aspect of it..one thing I can tell you...with my next tank I want to think a bit "outside the box" when it comes to a Design...:p

Last edited:
Wait till you see episode 6? I like the Show a lot, but those poor fish in the skateboard tank? Not good.

Wait till you see episode 6? I like the Show a lot, but those poor fish in the skateboard tank? Not good.
Just watched the remaining 4 Episodes..:thumbup:..love the Tank Designs..:yeahdude:...just saw the skateboard tank..:eek:...can't believe that Customers would ask for a tank to be made so that they could also use it as part of a ramp..:(.. Sigh the ideas some of these Customers have for a Tank..must admitt, some are so original and stunning and others make my hair stand on end...:eek: But one thing is for sure..I'll never think of a tank as just a square or a rectangle..:p

They said next season they get to give more real details on the show. Get to show putting water in from drums, using loaded bio-balls/medium, dosing live bacteria/sand; etc. I think they are doing good for getting folks interested in the hobby, and it's entertaining. Sounds like they get a bit more license to add some reality next season, now that it's a success. It'd be interesting, if they did an episode just on problems and fixes; like ick, cyano, flatworms, nudi's, etc.

Last edited:
They said next season they get to give more real details on the show. Get to show putting water in from drums, using loaded bio-balls/medium, dosing live bacteria/sand; etc. I think they are doing good for getting folks interested in the hobby, and it's entertaining. Sounds like they get a bit more license to add some reality next season, now that it's a success. It'd be interesting, if they did an episode just on problems and fixes; like ick, cyano, flatworms, nudi's, etc.
It would be very interesting if they would do that, but somehow I can't see that happening..:(..they are after all "Tank Designers/Builders" and that is basically the backbone of their show...problems like ick,cyano,flatworms etc...is something they don't even encounter on a daily basis as they only build and not maintain...:(

@2time ..for the newsgroup thing.. can I use normal telkom adsl? coz it has local bandwith

Last edited by a moderator:
@2time ..for the newsgroup thing.. can I use normal telkom adsl? coz it has local bandwith

Yup, just make sure u point your news reader to the local news group otherwise its gonna suck up international bandwidth

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom