Help How can I get rid of red cyno in my 120 l reef tank

Thanks I will check my mag later

I wont go the chemical route. It will only solve your problem temporarily. Replace phosguard if it has turned dark. Water changes will help(no need for a 50%). Increase flow over the area, blow the rocks with a turkey baster to get rid of detritus on the rocks, do your regular husbandry like cleaning your filter socks, rinsing sponges etc , do not over feed. But please post a pic of your tank. It will be much easier to help you.

I wont go the chemical route. It will only solve your problem temporarily. Replace phosguard if it has turned dark. Water changes will help(no need for a 50%). Increase flow over the area, blow the rocks with a turkey baster to get rid of detritus on the rocks, do your regular husbandry like cleaning your filter socks, rinsing sponges etc , do not over feed. But please post a pic of your tank. It will be much easier to help you.

Thanks Charl will post a pic later thanks bud

Guys if I replace the sand bed with new sand bed will that not start a mini cycle ...

yes, it will start a mini cycle. Best is to remove a little at a time until you have no more of your old substrate left. It will give your critters, worms, pods etc chance to move over to the new sandbed.What does your current sand bed looks like? very coarse?

Its very fine but I sipon it evey 2 weeks wen I do a water change my tank runing for 2 yrs now prior to that I had a little 37 litre nano .... had no issues first time I have a red cynco issue

cyano looks for organics, as well as nutrients, the chemicals are oxidisers which remove the organics from the water column, hence why most require a water change and heavy O2, so one can aerate the water excessively and skim better and use purigen or something to help remove the excess organics.

its the same as injecting hydrogen peroxide, 0.1ml, into the cyano to remove it, it breaks down to water and O2, all the cures in the world will mean nothing until the cause is found.

a pic of the tank, growth areas and close ups of gravel and rocks will help

What substrate is it?

Its very fine substrate at the time wen I purchased
my first tank the LFS threw it in nc it looks an feels like agronaite hope thats the right spelling
Will post pics later tonite guys

sounds like organics in the substrate, will wait for pics

Heres my pics guys wat u think

20140115_211749.jpg

20140115_211643.jpg

These are jus on the rocks in a few areas in the reef

20140115_211713.jpg

how old is the setup?

how old is the setup?

Hi Riaan
It will b 2 years on the 9 th march this year
Prior to this I had a little 37l nano an wen the 37 litre was 1 year I upgraded to the 120l I did ad the water from that tank into this 1 as well
Why wat u thinking

Last edited:
not too bad, i am thinking its the rocks leaching absorbed nutrients back

Back
Top Bottom