Elrond's 700x700x650 cube

Since my recent crab episode, I've been spending a lot of time looking in the LR for anything else... I noticed 2 more crabs in the tank this weekend :eek: 1 small and another large (5cm) one hiding away... This makes a total of 5 crabs! I'll keep hoping to wake up one morning and catch the buggers chilling on an easy to reach rock...
Why don't you make a trap out of a 2lt plastice bottle , put some food in when lights are out and see what happens.

Afsal,

I intend to try this but am somewhat worried I'll wake up to find a coke bottle filled with dead hermit crabs, dead cleaner shrimp but alive and kicking crabs...

Elrond - a sharp knitting needle works great to make crab espitada with them still in the LR

Henk,

I tried a screwdriver but the amount of holes and crevices in my expensive LR seems to be providing them with great cover. In all seriousness, the one small crab seems to like a visible spot, but the larger crab sits in a rock at the bottom of my Aquascape which is impossible to reach. I'll have to be patient and hope they dont make anything else go missing.

-E

Dudes,

Some pictures of my new (Post Damsel) experience:

Mushrooms and Mooncoral:
MarineTank072.jpg

MarineTank065.jpg

Yellow tang:
MarineTank040.jpg

Regal:

MarineTank028.jpg

very nice!
are you dosing calcium at all?

dallasg - Sorry - fixing the post - no I dont really monitor my Calcium, only been monitoring my alkalinity as of 2 weeks ago, but despite this my alkalinity is barely above 5dkh ... any particular reason you're asking (pointers/help always welcome!)

Last edited:
you mean your alkalinity is below 5dKh :)
your calcium should be around 430ppm

you have halemeida algae there in the pic and they consume alot of calcium, they are a calciferous algae :)

what are you using?

dallasg - thanks, I realised as I posted and tried to fix it but wasnt quick enough! Ok - last time I checked the Calcium was at 480 (which was in March) which was a bit too high so I've simply left it - based on your recommendation I'll check it again Sunday to see where it's at. should I get rid of the algae? I kinda like it!

nope keep it, its awesome when it starts to grow!!

which calcium suppliment are you using? also remember you need to dose magnesium to be able to use calcium, mag should be around 1350ppm

dallasg - thanks! I use Seachem Magnesium and Reefbuilder, but use Cape Coral Care for the Calcium. My Mg was 1350 on 26 May (atleast something is where it's supposed to be). Appreciate the input!

anytime!
tanking is going to be a stunner!

Nice new additions:thumbup:

Now just to get a new FTS out of you:lol:

bump for updates please..

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm current doing a fair bit of travelling between CT and JHB so last saw my tank 5 days ago! Photo updates via BBM are about all I have.

After dallasg poked me to check the calcium levels (300) I started dosing some calcium along with my Magnesium and Alkalinity. They were last sitting on:

Calcium: 400
mg: 1350
Alkalinity: 7 (raising slowly from 5) not sure why it's taking so long but I'm steadily increasing the recommended dosage and it's working.

I managed to catch one more crab and unfortunately went postal on one of the smaller crabs (I'm sad to say I killed him) I tried for awhile to catch him but he was too stubborn. Eventually he met his fate at the sharp end of a screwdriver. The shrimps enjoyed the meal though. So that's a total of 5 crabs that were in my system. I wont assume that's it though and will keep looking after 'sunset' to see who appears.

My Salinity was bordering on too high at 1.024-1.025 for ages and I decided it was time to start bringing this more in line with the expected. Over the course of a week I've brought this to 1.022. I believe the salinity from the 2Oceans is slightly higher than ideal so will watch the drift over time again.

I know when you ask for updates you really just want pictures but I dont have any recent FTS ones... I'm fussy with what I upload so please be patient :p

Update with pics...

My Bicolour Blenny - the first (after 2 others) to survive once crabs and Damsel were removed! :thumbup:

MarineTank_038.jpg

FTS 1

MarineTank_059.jpg

FTS 2

MarineTank_053.jpg

Back
Top Bottom