Reef Octopus DNW 150-6350

white pipe

ok guys here goes:

skimmer cup:

Skimmer itself

IMG_0012.jpg

What is this white pipe for?

Len i presume you talking about the pipe from the cup, which is a drain pipe [into drum] which stops the skimmer cup overflowing if you away for extended periods, and believe me these cups are capable of overflowing.

That's the drain from the skimmer cup, as the cup fills up with skimmate, it drains out into the 25L drum.

Len I take it you are referring to the pipe that is going into the 20 liter drum?
It’s connected to the collection cup in order to constantly drain the skimmate that is produced. In my opinion, this should be used when you intend been away from the tank for an extended period (holiday ect.) and not for normal every day use, as you tend to get lazy and neglect to clean the collection cup thoroughly every 2 to 3 days. To get optimum skimming from any skimmer, it is important to clean the cup every 2 to 3 days.

:lol:

Len I take it you are referring to the pipe that is going into the 20 liter drum?
It’s connected to the collection cup in order to constantly drain the skimmate that is produced. In my opinion, this should be used when you intend been away from the tank for an extended period (holiday ect.) and not for normal every day use, as you tend to get lazy and neglect to clean the collection cup thoroughly every 2 to 3 days. To get optimum skimming from any skimmer, it is important to clean the cup every 2 to 3 days.

Mille i agree withy you, only thing is when I feed hake roe the skimmer goes "bossies" and does a wetskim for an hour or two, last time this happened it filled half the drum.

ok correction guys..

Scott just phoned back.....wrap the plumbers tape around the plastic part of the impeller. So you pull the impeller out oft he magnet. Ryan did the first "mod" and recons you use 5 or 6 layers of tape. So just heads up its not around the magnet but around the plastic bit of the impeller just above the magnet.

Hello Eveybody!
This is my first post. I’m from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I bought 4 months ago the same skimmer that is showed here and yesterday the pump started doing noises. Is not the noise you can hear because of the venturi, I think is something with the impeller.
Copperband, could you post some pictures of the mod you made with the tape?
Thanks!, Martín

Last edited:
Martin hi and welcome. I'm not near the tank at the moment but will gladly post some pics for you after the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom