Reef Octopus DNW 150-6350

because sooner than later your up and running QT tank will end up being a show tank and you'll be without a QT tank. Experience lol

Guess what happened.. my son hijacked my QT tank.. it now houses a sailfin tang and a yellow watchman goby.. You were right, you get to tell me "I told you so" :razz:

Muz

Martin hi and welcome. I'm not near the tank at the moment but will gladly post some pics for you after the weekend.

Thanks Copperband! This will help me to understand how to fix the pump. A Picture Is Worth One Thousand Words!

Thanks the welcome everybody!

Martin

Martin, welcome to MASA :D

should the DNW 150 not be fed via overflow.what size pump is recommended for it crew?

should the DNW 150 not be fed via overflow.what size pump is recommended for it crew?

What are you talking about M, what do you mean 'what size pump is recommended..? It comes with a pump or am I confused. :001_huh: . If I could have hooked mine up directly to the overflow I probably would have tried it because it woudl be cool to ensure all the gunk is going through the skimmer direct from the overflow but mine is just in the sump now so there is about 50% of the water bypassing the skimmer, I am sure it woudl be more effective if piped directly..

Muz

muz check Smithers' thread on pumping to a skimmer or feeding it from the overflow. I feed my DNW150 with a 1200L/h pump from chamber 1 in the sump and returning water to chamber 2. Just found pumping to the skimmer worked better for me and it was easier to "tune" the beast.."Howzitttttttttttt skimmer!!!"

That is what I though as well muz. I have done both and IMO the feed from a pump works so much better. I still think it was worth doing both methods but I prefer the way I have done it now.

Coolio

Muz

muz check Smithers' thread on pumping to a skimmer or feeding it from the overflow. I feed my DNW150 with a 1200L/h pump from chamber 1 in the sump and returning water to chamber 2. Just found pumping to the skimmer worked better for me and it was easier to "tune" the beast.."Howzitttttttttttt skimmer!!!"
what pump are you using copper?

I was told at my LFS where I bought the skimmer that is better to feed it from an overflow because the water at the surface has more things to take out than other places. I don’t have an overflow so I have to feed it with a pump so I don’t know which the best way is. Why do you think that pumping it is better?

Martin

I was told at my LFS where I bought the skimmer that is better to feed it from an overflow because the water at the surface has more things to take out than other places. I don’t have an overflow so I have to feed it with a pump so I don’t know which the best way is. Why do you think that pumping it is better?

Martin

Yes Martin your LFS is correct, most of the protein waste rises collects in the top layer of water and is surface skimmed off to the sump. This is one of the benefits of plumbing your skimmer directly to the overflow as the concentrated raw water is fed directly into the skimmer. It does have it's drawbacks too though. Depending on the water height you will need to switch your return pump off everytime you clean the cup, or plumb in a bypass. Flow tends to vary quiet a bit and you find that it needs adjustment more often.

Feeding with a pump gives you a bit more flexibility and works well provided that your pump placement is correct. By having no overflow this means that you run your tank sumpless ?
Have you got the skimmer placed somewhere above the tank and draw water from display with a pump ?
If this is the case you want to place the pump as close to the water surface as possible, without the pump sucking in air.

Yes Martin your LFS is correct, most of the protein waste rises collects in the top layer of water and is surface skimmed off to the sump. This is one of the benefits of plumbing your skimmer directly to the overflow as the concentrated raw water is fed directly into the skimmer. It does have it's drawbacks too though. Depending on the water height you will need to switch your return pump off everytime you clean the cup, or plumb in a bypass. Flow tends to vary quiet a bit and you find that it needs adjustment more often.

Well said, that is why I did not plump direct

Muz

Hi does the intake from your tank to the protine skimmer need to be in the sump, or can it be put into your tank.:001_huh:

Technically there shouldn't be a reason not to put the pump in the tank. However I'm not a big fan of pumps in the tank due to heat transfer, difficulty in maintaining and cleaning the pump whilst in the tank.

What skimmer do you have?

Back
Top Bottom