• If you are a related business or shop and wish to advertise on this forum and our facebook group then please send an email to admin@marineaquariumsa.com or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Cost is R1500.00 for 6 months sponsorship.

Plasma Lights Hit SA Shores

If its controllable then why do you need the LED because it looking like natural light and if you do not see it while it has the sunlightK (which is normally only for 2 hours a day) then you do not need LED's. So for me the LED's can be optional.
Don't we normally say that we want it to be as close to nature as possible?

Last edited:
... tagging along here...! to the best of my knowledge 'plasma' light sources were first used in the 'us' in parking bays, Philips called it a lollipop, where the light source was aimed into a 'refractor tube' installed horizontally above the working plane. point being... 1 fitting irrespective of tank dimensions! just btw, the product was apparently shelved by philips due to magnatron reliability issues, that was 10+ yrs ago.. i always thought plasma would be the future of the artificial light source... let's see.....

... tagging along here...! to the best of my knowledge 'plasma' light sources were first used in the 'us' in parking bays, Philips called it a lollipop, where the light source was aimed into a 'refractor tube' installed horizontally above the working plane. point being... 1 fitting irrespective of tank dimensions! just btw, the product was apparently shelved by philips due to magnatron reliability issues, that was 10+ yrs ago.. i always thought plasma would be the future of the artificial light source... let's see.....

Watch this thread in the next couple of weeks.
We have developed the Aquarium Version which is being evaluated in Germany.
So far after more than one year of testing this is the light of the future.It is the closest thing to sunlight with a lifespan of 10 years. My 3x 400W M/H were substituted for 2 Plasma lights with real reflectors and fully dimmable from 22,000 kelvin to 5,600 Kelvin running for 12 hrs a day have shown amazing growth totally trouble free and with electricity saving of +- R 300,00 pm can you imagine the savings over 10 years.

Watch this thread in the next couple of weeks.
We have developed the Aquarium Version which is being evaluated in Germany.
So far after more than one year of testing this is the light of the future.It is the closest thing to sunlight with a lifespan of 10 years. My 3x 400W M/H were substituted for 2 Plasma lights with real reflectors and fully dimmable from 22,000 kelvin to 5,600 Kelvin running for 12 hrs a day have shown amazing growth totally trouble free and with electricity saving of +- R 300,00 pm can you imagine the savings over 10 years.

Scary what the units will cost, can us poor scrapped reefers afford them?:blush:

Any Idea of price yet?

At last I can now say yes, although we are still waiting for some software development to be completed.

A Profilux ready light without any LED's will retail at R 14500.00
Profilux ready with 2x Tunze waterproof blue LED's all dimmable R 17500.00
Latest generation Tunze multicontroller for lights and controll up to 8 Tunze Turbelle streams still to be announced soon.
Orders will be taken with small deposit, February delivery.

19750ac9ec093c8a.jpg

19750ac9ec099e5b.jpg

Last edited:
How many units will I need for a 1400mm X 1000mm wide X 700mm high tank full sps?

How many units will I need for a 1400mm X 1000mm wide X 700mm high tank full sps?

Ridwaan you would need one and half light but realistically 2 lights would be sufficient.

Please remember that these lights have a lifespan of +- 8-10 years and are fully dimmable
and therefore would not run at full capacity (238w/h giving you 5400kelvin) so you would also save on electricity. Your higher kelvin 22,000k (more bluish colour is achieved at 30% lumination and the light is using only 100w/h.

ouch price!!!!

Considering that I had to use 3 x 400 w metal halide and 4 x t5 (Gieseman 80w ) giving me me a total 1540 watts/hour for 12 hrs on my tank at a replacement cost R 4800.00 per year just for the globes and a further R 300-400 per month just on electricity to run those lights. Total cost R 8400.00 per year.

I now use only 2 of plasma lights which I replace every 8-10 years and with a further monthly saving of R 300.00 of my monthly electricity bill even with the price hike. These figures have been taken over the past 18 months of trial these lights have been hanging over my tank.

Do the sums
Plasma all the way besides it is the closest thing to sunlight presently available.
If prices stayed the same my metal halides would have cost +- R 67200.00 more than what it will cost me presently. I save R 700.00 a month presently just on running costs.

George who keeps lights for 8 years let alone a tank?

When did it become okay for lights to cost that much? LED's cost just as much

I would rather have skylights over my tank they will work just as well and be cheaper

would rather have skylights over my tank they will work just as well and be cheaper

You have a very valid point @vatso, however some of us don't have the luxury of being able to have natural sunlight. I wish I could.

Last edited by a moderator:

Believe it or not but there are actually people out there who are happy with the same tank. Not everyone in this hobby has the tendency to upgrade just for the sake of getting a newer version of the same product they have.

And on the price issue, you can use that logic on everything. All new technologies will be expensive. People pay R70000 for a TV which will do what for you? At least this light and the other options like LED have the ability to pay for itself due to electricity saving if you are willing to hold onto it for long enough.

When did it become okay for lights to cost that much? LED's cost just as much

I would rather have skylights over my tank they will work just as well and be cheaper

Well till now nothing has been available, in fact the light manufacturers say 10 years, besides, the light fittings are made of best possible aircraft grade components and they would last that long. LED's are not the topic here and skylights will be costly to install and replace the roof once you move out of your house, besides the fact that most reefers do work and can only enjoy their tank only during daylight.

Back
Top Bottom