Plasma Lights Hit SA Shores

Reaction score
Did some reading on plasma lights and they recon the power consumption is between 280 and 300W.
But you said that u measured your plasma at full strength of 238w.
Do you have any idea why this would be?
And if the consumption is less, would that mean that you get less light out of the unit in SA?

Reaction score
Hi Schaun

These are the specs of the light we are using from the manufacturer. There may be other plasmas out there with different specs though.

Current 9.3A
Secondary DC Voltage 28V
AC power 275W

These units use 28V DC to power the light source through a 220V power supply. Remember the units are dimmable and will only run at 275 watt when on full power settings.
The wattage is not an indication of the quality or strength of light produced but rather an indication of the wattage consumed to produce the light and how much it costs. These lights are equivalent in light output to a 400 watt MH while only consuming 275 watt Max at full power. The lamps have a life of 30000 hours which if ran for 8 hours a day would last for 10 years. In that time you would have changed 1 x 400 watt MH lamp per year which is already a saving R10000.00 over and above the savings in electricity consumption. And I’m sure those who have seen Georges tank will agree. The results after a year are amazing.

Watch this space!

Reaction score
After more than a year of R&D we have refined our Plasma unit design. George has had the first two prototypes running on his tank for over a year now the and the results have been amazing. We decided to make the units more compact with an overall reduction in size of around 50% with only a 30% reduction in the Plasma reflector size. We have also done away with the supplemental T5 lamps and added two high output blue LED strips. The dimmable Plasma emitter has a controller housed within the unit. Dimming control is set up via simple USB interface from your laptop.
Physical dimensions

Dimensions.jpg

Size Comparison
Sizecomparison.jpg

DSC_0994.jpg

DSC_0998.jpg

Dimming control PC interface
Controlerinterface.jpg

Reaction score
Stunning, stunning looking light unit guys.
It is one of the best looking units on the market.
Would love to see this guy in action.
I came across people doing extensive research on plasmas and corals.
Thy compared it to a 400MH and over a time period of 30 days the plasma corals had 28% more weight than the MH corals. All about the spectrum that is so close to the sun.
And these lights are so versatile, that if you don’t like the colour of the sun, you can make the light peak when you are not home and dim it down to any type of Kelvin between 22000 and 5700 when you get home. To give you that soft bleu feel.
Now the main question everyone has been asking. Did you make this for export or will the average guy in SA be able to afford these miracle lights?
Last thing. Will i be able to coltrole this unit with my profilux ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now the main question everyone has been asking. Did you make this for export or will the average guy in SA be able to afford these miracle lights? Last thing. Will i be able to coltrole this unit with my profilux ?

They can only answer your questions after you do an update on your thread :p

George

Sponsor
Reaction score
:eek: WOW!!

Im impressed! Looks awesome. Pity its needs supplemental lighting for colour....
These lights are fully dimmable from 22000k down to 5600k the choice is yours were you set your colour in the Kelvin range. However this light is the closest thing to natural sunlight and thus it has the ability to give you a complete spectrum at less than half the electricity of a conventional metal halide. The suplementary addition of blue led is for aesthetics only and can if wanted be left out as the only time they help with the colour is when the sun peaks at midday. The choice is yours.

Reaction score
You will be able to control it with the Profilux. George is controlling the first two prototypes with a Profilux. We have just opted to build in the Tunze controller but that will not stop you from controlling with other aquarium controllers.

George

Sponsor
Reaction score
awaiting costs
Guys I need your feedback and opinion on this I'm thinking of having 4 options with this light.

1. Just the Plasma Not dimmable No controller
2. Plasma without LED Blues controllabe. Profilux or Tunze 7098/9
3. Plasma with LED's and fully controlled Tunze Profilux other controller

All these options will influence the Price so lets have some feed back.

butcherman

Reaction score

belindamotion

Google Master
Reaction score
I like NO:3 but yes...wll surely influence the price.. No:1 I like also...it makes this Product within reach for the "average" guy hoping to upgrade...

Reaction score
I would like the option to control the unit from my current reef controller. So the light still needs to have the inputs to attach a controller. With the fast advances in LEDS dimming should definitely be an option...

Reaction score
looking really good George and leigh...

Reaction score
I would love to see what the price range will be.
What I understood from reading this is that this is beter and more natural than LED's.
Tagging

Reaction score
I think that cost would be the main thing (deciding factor) at the end of the day.
1. I think one of the key things of this light is its dimming capability.
2. I would like it without the LED’s, just because of price, otherwise it would have been grate. For people that have their own controllers like profilux won’t need the Tunze controller. But if you don’t have a controller, Tunze would do grate.
3. If the price is right, who can say no?

It would be nice if you could give us the options with prices.
I’m sure we will then be able to make a more informative decision on what would be right for us.
As I said, if the price is right, why not.
So far, I’m set on the Profilux dimmable.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Why not modular?
The Leds should be "clipped on"
Controller should be separate.

So simple, Main Plasma unit
additional is controller and Leds

Then obvious, what is the price?
and coverage?

Top Bottom