Plasma Lights Hit SA Shores

George

Sponsor
Reaction score
Bump for more info on these plasma lights..Availability etc?
This project has been put on hold, as the Rand decline has put them well out of our reach
all I can say is that mine are still going well,excepting for the fans, that have stopped working after nearly 3 years.As I have just moved they will be repaired once I've built my new tank and used there again.

Reaction score
Very sceptical they have tried before but never got them right. Reality is try and find a light box that will last 8 to 10 years. LED far more effective.

George

Sponsor
Reaction score
Very sceptical they have tried before but never got them right. Reality is try and find a light box that will last 8 to 10 years. LED far more effective.
Ozzie I don't think the box has a problem as our housing is made from the highest grade aircraft aluminium, the fans keeping the power supply cool in a saltwater environment is the long term problem. The light itself is far superior to LED's and can penetrate a lot deeper into the water.

Reaction score
The aquarium hobby is always searching for the ultimate light source that can replicate natural sunlight that our fish and corals are exposed to in nature. MH has been the lamp of choice but the hobby is always trying to advance and find new, better and more energy efficient light sources. LED's are getting a lot of hype and development at the moment but studies conducted in the USA are showing that they are just not up to supplying the correct light required by corals.

LEDs also direclty produce tremendous amounts of HEAT compared to light. The heat is radiated away from the back by the heat sink. 100W worth of LED in a room create exactly the same amount of heat as 100W worth of MH or a 100W heater.

Plasma lights only use 280 watts, are dimmable and they have a useable life of 8 -10 years depending on how much output you want. The spectrum produced by the bulb is the closest to sunlight than any other known light source on the market, a true 96 CR

The Plasma light uses only 230 watts but offer the light similar to what you would get from a 600 watt MH.

This is new technology and we feel this is the light source of the future for reef aquariums.

YouTube - Plasma Light Bulb

Only two needed on a 2 meter aquarium.
Sorry only got into this thread now and probably missed it somewhere.
Do you have a price on say two of these lights to cover my 2m tank ?

Reaction score
Ozzie I don't think the box has a problem as our housing is made from the highest grade aircraft aluminium, the fans keeping the power supply cool in a saltwater environment is the long term problem. The light itself is far superior to LED's and can penetrate a lot deeper into the water.
@George ,are you still using the Plasma lights?
Is it superior to the Kessils?

Anita

Sponsor
Reaction score
No, we found too many problems with them and unreliable suppliers. No, the Kessil is superior, did you see we have three A360X Tuna Blue on special at the moment, instead of R11 000 each, they are R7000 each. We have two on our aquarium.

Top Bottom