Oceanseeker's 500L Aquarium

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by ReefMaster, 7 Nov 2011.

1. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

Hi guys

Here are some pics of my full tank setup on the 6 month anniversary of this 1.2m tank.

Ive posted pics under different threads of my tank specimens, but will try and upload interesting stuff about my tank on a regular basis on this thread.

Looking forward to share my 'Ocean of Life' with you all. The tank was a natural migration from my two Boyu TL-550 ive had. The reason to migrating to a bigger tank is obvious, but I wanted to have different fish and let them have free space to swim around rather than being limited to a small cube. Another important reason is that I didnt have a chiller and experienced some temperature spikes which wiped out quite a few corals together with a lot of effort managing two tanks was a no-brainer. In hindsight, Managing a Boyu was the best learning experience I can give anyone a small closed system is much more difficult thatn a larger system with a sump and reactors. Guess what, my 1.2m is too small

I bought this tank second hand and the only regret is that with it being only 45cm deep its limiting, so I went with open scaping with at least 5cm free all round to get to all parts of the tank. As much as Ive limited room for corals, I simply love the scaping this way as the fish are happy to swim around in the various caves and cavities.

The tank setup is a typical reef setup up with lots of softies and LPS. Only recently did I introduce SPS of the Monti family. The open top section is perfect for SPS to grow into, so I think this works well. I also decided not paint the background blue or black and decided not to let coraline grow on the back glass to give that smart clean look. The reflection of the light on the back wall helps with illumination of the tank and gives the tank more depth

Will post seperate posts on Hardware, Corals, Fish, Inverts, the unsusal etc . Please share your ideas on coral ideas and what fish I can add next.

Lastly a very BIG Thank You to all the reefers for sharing their knowledge unselfishly and inspiring me to create my 'Ocean of Life'

Here are two pics under normal lights followed by actinics only as requested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Nov 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seabass

Seabass

Ja man, love the actinic, makes the colours pop.

4. Tridan

Tridan

thats a nice looking tank you have there, bubble coral looks nice and healthy, well done.

5. crispin

crispin

love the pic of the bubble coral, a beautiful sepecimin for sure.

lovely looking tank, time to get a 1.8 though :)

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

Wow that tank is perfect. not too much , not too little. the depth is cool too!

7. 2balive

2balive

Looking great, nice open space, but still a lot of coral live. Also still love that weird 'torch' of yours.

Nice selection of fish.

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

Very pretty tank :) .. Its soo clean

9. ReefMaster

ReefMaster Thread Starter

Hey Seabass, yes! the actinics do bring out the best of colours. I have found that sometimes you get more detail on the coral under actinics that your eye does not see.

10. maj

maj

looking nice buddy,what substrate do u have in ther?

11. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

Man thats a clean tank, Well Done :thumbup:

12. ReefMaster

Hi Maj, I mixed a couple of bags of Caribsea Arag-Alive. A mixture between the normal beige and black substrate - kinda looks cool with it mixed - will post a pic

How I ended up with Araga-live. I was pressed with time to start up the new 1.2m tank. I had my corals, live rock and fish split in my two Boyu tanks ,so I got creative and set the new tank up and transferred everything over in about 2-3 weeks.

I figured that with enough matured rock, stability bacteria, araga-live substrate and some live sand from a matured tank will kick start the new tank and it did this beautifully without any hiccup.

The all white is just so common or the all black substrate didnt appeal to me, so the mix turned out the winner in the end. Why be normal :)

Here is a pic of the substrate
    [​IMG]

13. ReefMaster

Thanks, You referring to clean as in the water quality or glass. Was thinking of getting some more turbo snails to keep the glass clean, but I think water quality is due to phosguard and purigen and weekly water changes when I can

14. ReefMaster

Thanks, What is weird about the torch?

Will post list of fish and corals in future posts

15. ReefMaster

16. maj

maj

nah the mix works very well,think i might just try that combo out!
    impressed with ur tank boet

17. ReefMaster

If you are going to change your substrate then definitely consider the Carib Sea Hawaiian Black. I figured that considering that corals and fish cost as much as they do, then investing in good substrate will only enhance the life of the corals and fish.

Would you put place cheap plastic mats in your Ferrari, not so. The approach I use for anything to do with the tank is to implement the best natural way and if not possible, the next best alternative. Unfortunately we sometimes have to use plastic and artificial salt, but we have to be practical too

CaribSea Arag-Alive | Special Grade Reef Sand | Indo Pacific Black | Fiji Pink | Bahamas Oolite | West Caribbean Reef | Florida Crushed Coral | Bimini Pink

18. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

Both, its really looks good, looking forward to seeing more of this tank! :biggrin:

19. ReefMaster

Here is a video of my tank

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  20. Evo R

Evo R

Stunning!! :thumbup:

21. ReefMaster

Hi Mandarin

I thought light wont penetrate deep enough (70cm) but so far so good. The idea I had was to keep some free space on top for fish to swim and for SPS to grow into. Sometimes its nice to see fish swim against a clear background to see their true colours

Recent Posts