Oceanseeker's 500L Aquarium

Corals - Sinularia flexiblis

Hi Guys, here goes the pic series - first one up

I finally managed to Id this specimen in my tank. Its a Sinularia flexiblis, the lumi green is a diver's den special and not commonly found. Cost me a good few $$$, but worth it.

Looks stunning under actinics with a pinkish hue to golden fine polyps when they are open under normal lights. You can see my full tank actinic pic, but its very difficult to capture luminosity with a two-dimentional camera compared to the 4-dimentional eye that can see things, but here is the pic anyway. With good water flow, the swaying of the branches are captivating and the small springer damsels (Chrysiptera springeri) just love playing in there.

Ive got some medium to large frags if anyone is interested - PM me and we can chat

OceanseekerAquarium-109-101.jpg

Common Names: Flexible leather coral, finger leather coral, flowing finger coral, spaghetti leather (metallic)

Phylum: Cnidaria
Class: Anthozoa
Order: Alcyonacea
Family: Alcyoniidae

Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) is an ideal choice for expert aquarists. In your marine aquarium, it shows a marked presence due to its shape and long wavy tentacles. Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) is one easy to maintain coral which you can proudly own without any regrets. The ensuing discussion briefs you upon the various interesting aspects of this special coral, Spaghetti Leather (Metallic).

Taxonomy: Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) belongs to the Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Cnidaria, Class Anthozoa, Order Alcyonacea, Family Alcyoniidae, Genus Sinularia and Species flexibilis.

Other names: The scientific name of Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) is Sinularia flexibilis. Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) is also commonly known as Spaghetti Finger Leather Coral, Flexible Leather Coral, Gold Leather, Thin Finger Coral and Soft Finger Coral.

Coral Type: Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) is a Soft Coral of Polyp type.

Origin or natural range: Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) originates from the Tropical Indo-Pacific region, Barrier Reef and the Red Sea in the countries Fiji, Tonga, Philippines and Vietnam.

Color: Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) is generally available in cream, brown, bright green, bright yellow, gold and tan colors.

Morphology: Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) is very hardy and has a slimy surface. Sinularia flexibilis has a long and thick stalk which is round in shape. Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) has hundreds of very long, thin, flexible but strong tentacles. The tentacles have short polyps that are white or brown in color. The tentacles of Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) look very beautiful when they sway with the water movement. Sinularia flexibilis has a waxy coating on its body which it sheds occasionally as a part of its cleaning process.

Compatibility: Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) is moderately aggressive towards the other marine aquarium invertebrates.

Breeding: Sinularia flexibilis reproduces asexually by fission. Each resulting fragment grows into an individual Spaghetti Leather (Metallic).

Growth environment in your marine aquarium:

Temperature: Seventy-two to seventy-eight degrees Fahrenheit.

Specific gravity: 1.023 to 1.025.

pH: 8.10 to 8.40.

Illumination: Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) requires a high intensity of light in the marine aquarium it inhabits.

Water flow in the aquarium: Moderate to strong water flow in your marine aquarium is the best for Spaghetti Leather (Metallic).

Marine aquarium habit & habitat: Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) is most suitable for a marine aquarium of the capacity of twenty-two gallons or hundred liters. You can place Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) anywhere in your marine aquarium. Sinularia flexibilis needs space in your marine aquarium to spread itself well; else it begins to encrust the other corals in its vicinity. Therefore, keep Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) away from the other corals in your reef tank.

Feeding & Nutrition: Sinularia flexibilis is carnivorous in its feeding habits. Photosynthesis, however, is the key source of nutrition in Spaghetti Leather (Metallic). This photosynthesis is performed by zooxanthellae, a photosynthetic alga that lives symbiotically within Spaghetti Leather (Metallic). Sinularia flexibilis may also filter feed, a few times in a week when open, upon acellular marine invertebrates, meaty bits, baby brine shrimp, phytoplankton and zooplankton. Add Iodine, Strontium and trace elements in the water as dietary supplements for Spaghetti Leather (Metallic).

Care: Spaghetti Leather (Metallic) requires moderate care.

Inverts

Here is the list of Inverts in my Aquarium

1 x Crocea Clam
5 x Mini Carpet Anemones
2 x Boxer Shrimps
2 x Cleaner Shrimps
5 x Nassarius Snails
2 x Fighting Conches
1 x Turbo Snail
2 x Brittle Stars

Other

Asterina Stars
Unknown Snails
Sponges
Tunicates
Various Worms
Amphipods
Copepods
Various unknown hitchickers

Pics to follow

My Fish

Here is a list of my Fish

Flame Angel
Sailfin Tang
Fox Face
Clown Fish
Sixline Wrasse
Solar Wrasse
Candy Hogfish
Purple Fire Goby
5 x Springer Damsels

Pics to Follow

Last edited by a moderator:
Corals - Soft

Here is a list of my Soft Corals

Sinularia Flexibilis - lumo green
Various Zooanthids
Various Mushrooms
Various Ricordias
Star Polyps
Various Palythoa
Pin Cushion Leather

Pics to follow

Corals - LPS

Here is a list of my LPS Corals

Green Bubble Coral
Favia
Lobed Brain
Open Brain
Candy Cane
Green Frogspawn
Grape Frogspawn?

Pics to follow

Corals - SPS

Here is a list of my SPS Corals - only added this recently

2 x Lumo Green Danae Montipora
Montipora Capricornus - Green
Montipora - Red
Green Unknown Montipora
Green Digitata
Acropora SP.
Unknown SPS

Pics to follow

That leather looks great, if I was closer your pm's would have been full of " please o please give me a frag:tt2:" , still waiting for the other pics...

Flame Angel
Centropygeloriculus.jpg

Sailfin Tang
Zebrasomaveliferum.jpg

Fox Face
Siganusvulpinus.jpg

Clown Fish
Amphiprionocellaris.jpg

Sixline Wrasse
Pseudocheilinushexataenia.jpg

Solar Wrasse
Cirrhilabrussolorensis.jpg

Candy Hogfish
Bodianusbimaculatus.jpg

Purple Fire Goby
Nemateleotrisdecora.jpg

5 x Springer Damsels
Chrysipteraspringeri.jpg

Flame Angel
Sailfin Tang
Fox Face
Clown Fish
Sixline Wrasse
Solar Wrasse
Candy Hogfish
Purple Fire Goby
5 x Springer Damsels

Pics to Follow

Hi Guys

Just a fish update, all the fish are doing fine. Just added a Purple tang bought from a fellow reefer who shut down his tank. To my surprise there is complete peace and harmony in the tank so far.

This guy is just so fast, so will have to wait till I get the perfect shot, but here is a pic of him this morning.

Zebrasomaxanthurum.jpg

Extract from Freshmarine.com

The Purple Tang, also known as the Yellowtail Sailfin Tang, Yellowtail Surgeonfish, and the Blue Surgeonfish, is blue to purple in color with a yellow tail and yellow accents on the pectoral fins. This fish was formally known only to the coral reefs of the Red Sea, but it is now found in the Arabian Sea, the Gulf of Aden and in the waters off Sri Lanka as well. The Purple Tang usually lives singly, but can occasionally be found in schools in the southern Red Sea. Purple Tangs inhabit rocky and coral-rich reef areas where they forage and can duck under cover for sleep and safety. They are very fast and agile, often seen darting in and out of coral holes and crevices, tending to remain close to the reef, and rarely straying into open water areas.

The Purple Tang is one of the most prized specimens of all saltwater fish. If housed properly, it is a rewarding and attractive addition to any large fish-only tank. They are also among the most expensive fish in the home aquarium. Be sure to provide good lighting, lots of free swimming space and plenty of potential hiding spots for the Purple Tang. They can be very aggressive and do not fare well with tank mates of similar body shape, especially other Tangs of the genus Zebrasoma.

Maximum size: The Purple Tang grows upto 10 inches.

General size: This fish generally comes in size of 2 to 6 inches.

Minimum Tank Size: A 30 gallons or larger aquarium provides good environment for Purple Tang.

Tank Conditions: The Purple Tang should ideally be kept in temperatures between 72 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit. A pH value of 8.1 or 8.4, and a specific gravity of 1.020 to 1.025 should be maintained. When kept with invertebrates, the specific gravity range should be 1.020 to 1.025, for the invertebrate species. In a fish only aquarium, the specific gravity should fall between 1.020 and 1.023

Habitat: The Purple Tang natural distribution is in the coral reefs of Red Sea, but it is now found in the Arabian Sea, the Gulf of Aden and in the waters off Sri Lanka as well

Feeding and Diet: The Purple Tang will graze on algae in the aquarium as well as accepting other prepared foods both frozen and dried. Purple Tangs need vitamin supplements that are high in beta-carotene, to help prevent lateral line disease.

WOW your photo skills are amaizing!!!!

Well done :thumbup:

WOW your photo skills are amaizing!!!!

Well done :thumbup:

Thanks Evo, its not the perfect pic as I would have like the Dorsal pic extended, but will try and take another pic and post.

Now that ive captured all my fish, watch this space as I will be uploading some pics of corals next

Not sure if you saw this pic, but its one of my favourite pics ive taken so far http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=30234

Back
Top Bottom