Breeding information about Banggai Cardinals

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, Marcel they saw Sumeshans tank today. He has about a dozen Bangui cardinals in his tank. They have paired off and bread and release the young amongst the many diadema's.

Unfortunately it is imposable to try and catch and raise them. But very interesting to witness.

Luckyfish thanks for a great thread i found this by a google search after i moved my stock from my nano over to my new display, once all moved over i noticed my blue throat trigger going mad on closer inspection i saw 2 banggai fry but sadly got eaten by the the trigger so i took out both male and felmale out as quick as possible.

After about an hour i noticed the male had spat out 15 fry i thought he still had some in his mouth so i left them together but the following morning they were gone :eek: i can only assume he ate them after the stress from moving from one tank to another and back again.

I have now left them in my d-d 24g nano and hopefully they will spawn again.

Can i use selcon to enrich the food ?

Again thank for all the info in this thread it has been very helpful will post when i get my next brood

here is a video of the first brood

i can only assume he ate them after the stress from moving from one tank to another and back again.

Very likely!

I have now left them in my d-d 24g nano and hopefully they will spawn again.

Keep temperature around 28 degrees and feed them until the won't eat anymore.

Can i use selcon to enrich the food ?

For the first two days you can feed them freshly hatched brine shrimps, but then you have to enrich them. Selcon will do. Who stocks it?

Again thank for all the info in this thread it has been very helpful will post when i get my next brood

Just a pleasure!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kyPalQHWP4

;)

So glad to see your back @LuckyFish.

Just want to personally thank you for this thread. Im lucky enough to say I currently have my first batch of babies that are about just over 2months since the father spat them out. I would not have been able to raise them if it werent for this article. Good news is im starting to hear more guys with pairs attempting to breed.

So glad to see your back @LuckyFish.

Just want to personally thank you for this thread. Im lucky enough to say I currently have my first batch of babies that are about just over 2months since the father spat them out. I would not have been able to raise them if it werent for this article. Good news is im starting to hear more guys with pairs attempting to breed.

Glad that my article was useful for your success. It's a nice feeling to see them grow, hey? And it's because of your input and passion.

Indeed, that's really good news.

Breeding Banggai's and seahorses is pretty much the easiest to do. Clownfish breeding is a step up and requires a lot of personal sacrificies.

Last edited:
By now you should be able to see the babies eyes in his mouth. Wont be to much longer till he spits them out

Hi. It's day 24 now. Is there anything specific that I should be looking for. From which day should I be on the lookout. Thanks

From the day where the male doesn't eat. Then you take a closer look and you'll see that his mouth is full with eggs.
Difficult to say how far he is with his eggs/babies. When did he stop eating?

Last edited:
From the day where the male doesn't eat. Then you take a closer look and you'll see that his mouth is full with eggs.
Difficult to say how far he is with his eggs/babies. When did he stop eating?

Hi. He stopped eating on the 12th of October. He is quite big and his mouth is almost double . Pls help, I would really like to save if not all some of the babies

Back
Top Bottom