South Side Outdoor - Finally!!

Yeah I was a bit worried about your young tank but if it stays healthy that is all that really matters. Can we have a pic to see where it has moved? If its in a moving kind of mood you might be in for some trouble, despite being able to see it more. I mean things like pumps and other corals may be an issue, so just watch it-more for the pumps than other corals.

If its eating properly and extending more then you can start doing an occasional check on the face of the nennie to see if its colouring up(its protective pigments on the mend). They will be very small dots at first, like the size of a pin head, and when there are loads of them the colour becomes more apparent.

was galavanting around cape town again on the weekend.
got so lost , and my stupid GPS , took me to the same street in another suburb.
anyway managed to get where i wanted to be in the end.
thanks to @Keanan and @mornewil.
@Keanan for the elegance , that i have wanted for some time now, and finally managed to get time to collect it.
it looked small when i first saw it , but my word , it has opened up massively since saturday, and looks amazing.

20244ff44e5b4dd72.jpg

the live rock from @mornewil.
i didnt realize , when you said it was a big piece , it was this big , as they say the more live rock the better.
i also found some really nice clove polyps , with a green colours , which looks really nice.they have opened up nicely and looking good.

20244ff44fdfb489f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome bud, yip thats a monster of an elegance. Was sad to part with it...

did a big clean out , of the skimmer , which was full of slime , and was amazed how much C%^P was in the skimmer neck, so now running sweetly.

i had a look in my sump , and wanted to know if anyone could tell me what this is

excuse the ignorance , but i am still kind of classified as a Noob.
this stuff is forming on my live rock in my sump.
it looks like little earbuds - white fluffy balls - almost.
anyone can clarify what it is and if i need to remove it.
i know funny things will grow in sumps , so wanted to check first before i do anything

20244ffc2d42513ea.jpg

20244ffc2d424cd95.jpg

@DubKorps - thanks - do they need to be controlled ?
weird that i would get silicates in my water , as my RO unit is new , so maybe it doesnt filter it out.

Nice tank.:thumbup:
The stuff on the rock is sponge, I have some in my tank and they aren't a problem.

@Adee
Thanks for the comments
Getting there slowly , as my dad says "Rome wasn't built in a day" so will get there.

On the reactor
Was originally running ozone through skimmer, but didn't like it affecting skimmer performance and also heard via the net that contact time between water and ozone isn't enough to be effective.

I don't have any prior experience to compare the effects of ozone on my system, but I had a breakout of ws before fitting the units and since then I have had no issues.

On the reactor side, as with all reef oct stuff build quality is faultless.
Setup was a breeze and as easy as pie .
On the downside I only have 3 issues which are not serious.
1. Reactor is gravity dependent , water gets pumped to the top and falls down the chamber and then out the outlet- but if you don't have head height under the tank the flow from the outlet of the reactor to the sump is a problem. I have mine sitting in the corner of the room on the top of tank (kind of disguished)and it falls back into my overflow.
2. The carbon filter seem to build up with moisture, so it affects the amount of water in the reservoir at the bottom of the reactor.
3. Reactor is large , and can be deceiving - about 60cm heigh, so you need to plan properly before you purchase so you know exactly where you putting it.
I had mine for about 3 weeks before I managed to settle on the right place for it to be put.

You have the scrubber so you maybe able to put it somewhere there , but problem 1 is probably the biggest issue, where 2 and 3 and more peeves then anything else.

Hope this helps, but if you need any other info drop me a pm or on my thread.

can anyone suggest the best settings for photography
i see some many beautiful pics of other members stuff, and i think it is about time to post some.
i know there is a thread for photography with some videos , explaining different functions , but it doesn't seem to say what settings combined will give you best results.

i have a canon G9 camera.

On the G9 i would say try aperture priority at F4.8, ISO 400 to start off with. If your images are blurry then try ISO 800 but the image might suffer from excess noise. If you want to get the most out of your images you will need to shoot in RAW format and do some post processing. I can assure you all the top images you see on the forum was done this way.

My tank seems to be going through a bit of a cycle at the moment , or i am getting algae build up for some apparent reason.
i checked my PO4 and NO3 last night , and they were flat 0.
i have added chaeto to my sump to pull out any excessive nutrients.
anyone care to suggest what else i can do .
algae seems to be a brown fluffy colour.
will try and take some pics later tonight

Back
Top Bottom