Seahorse birth today!

Discussion in 'Breeding fish' started by Anemone, 31 Mar 2010.

1. Anemone

Anemone

A few days ago, I suspected one of my male seahorses may be pregnant. I figured I’d know for sure in about a week. WRONG! I turn on the light this morning and there are the babies. Not many, I only collected between 25 – 30. I’m not sure how many got caught in the filter, or were eaten.

I was definitely not prepared. All of my fry equipment was 30 minutes away, and I didn’t have a sitter to stay with grandma. I collected the fry, put them in a water bottle filled to the top so they didn’t get air in their bellies. Finally found a sitter for grandma, left my 90 year old grandma in charge of the water bottle holding my baby seahorses (she loved that)! Off to collect my equipment and food… 10 hours later equipment is set up, brine has been decapsulated, hatchery has been set up, I hurt everywhere, and I’m pretty convinced, the female got another horse pregnant today!

I was really shocked to find that he gave birth so soon, he barely looked pregnant. This was his first time and the batch was super small. Hopefully next time, the batch will be bigger, and I’ll be a little more prepared.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

WOW congratulations on the new additions Brenda (and getting everything sorted out in such a short space of time) Hope all goes well with your new babies

4. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

Thank you FransSny! Another quick look at the male, and I'm wondering if he may still be holding some. He looks just as big as he did yesterday at this time. Its not uncommon for them to give what we call "warning babies" a day or two before the rest show up.

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

Wow i am thoroughly excited for you! there are babies in the house! and not just any, but seahorses dang i am jealous of your success.!!!!! ok jokes aside! well done ! give em all names!?

6. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

Thats not funny! :razz: About 3 years ago I was picking up some seahorses from a lady that was going to be on vacation when her male gave birth. My neighbors came over with my little buddy (their 5 year old son). I told him I was expecting about 400 babies. Soooo the rest of our evening was spent coming up with 400 names. Two days later when the babies arrived, he was there for the counting. There were 526! You guessed it, we had to come up with another 126 names! NEVER again!!!!!

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

:party:Its a party ... its a party ... Congrats Brenda and to Great Grandma also on being a great babysitter ... All the very best on raising ... Now if we could only get what I heard about on the radio yesterday .... a bionic "eye" fitted to people who have failing eyesight ... apparently it "sees" images and uploads them to a micr pc then transmits them to the brain for a pic ..... great grandma could be your photographer and we would be the editing staff :lol: ...

8. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

that and a new heart, two knees, new ear drums, and a few other miscellaneous body parts and I won't need a sitter!

I'll work on pictures tomorrow! I can barely move at the moment.

9. Sentari

Sentari

Awesome Brenda! Nice to see you have such a passion for this hobby! Thanks for sharing with us. Cant wait for the pics!

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW! Fantastic Brenda! Congratulations "mom"! ;) I really hope that you are able to raise them (or at least MOST of them) successfully!

11. crispin

crispin

wonderful news, easter ponies :) well done, especially after shifting so much to get organised. lets hope he is holding a few and you get them in a couple of days :)

congrats :)

12. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!

Unfortunately I don’t have high hopes for this batch with it being his first, and my complete unpreparedness! But I am definitely going to give it my best.

Scott just did a quick check in the filters, no babies in the filters! I’m guessing I caught them right after they were born. They were all near the top inches away from the drain to the sump. I immediately disconnected the pumps and collected what I could find.

Crispin, if I don’t have more in a couple of days I’m pretty sure I’ll have more in a few weeks as 4 out of the 6 males were all lined up with their pouches wide open holding up a sign saying “pick me! pick me!” It has to be tough being the only female out of 6 males, too many choices! :biggrin:

13. crispin

crispin

i have to assume you are refering to the female seahorse and not personal experience???? :) :p

14. magman

magman

Well done Brenda!!!!! I am also glad Gran also played her part and she is well again!!!!!

Please keep this thread updated with their progress and pics!!!!!!!

15. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

Only in my dreams! :razz:

16. Anemone

Anemone Thread Starter

I am also glad grandma got to be a part of it today. For a few years I've been trying to explain to her what a seahorse was. We just moved the seahorses here a few weeks ago. In a few weeks she not only got to see adult seahorses, but babies!!!! She showed them off all day today to her nurses and therapists that came in while I was gone.

I'll do my best with the pictures.

17. zayd

zayd

Awesome. Do you have pics of your setup. I would love to have a seahorse setup myself.

18. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Fantastic hope many make it

19. hypn

hypn

Great news Brenda, hope you manage to get a few growing up to adulthood, and yes please share photo's of the newly breds.

Andre

20. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Congrats Brenda, I hope they all make it :1:

21. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hey Zayd, welcome to MASA. Please start a thread in the new members forum, tell us more about yourself and you'll receive a warm welcome from everybody ;)

Recent Posts