Please ID this disease

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by maj, 18 May 2012.

1. maj

maj

Came home to my angel dead in the QT tank,its a 200litre tank
    Tank has fully matured LR from my 2m tank
    been in ther for 3 weeks,noticed a small marking but thort its like dust from the lr wher he sleeps under
    ther are 2 clowns in the same QT and a tiny emperor

WC of 20% evry 3 days,airstone in,wavermaker and carbon in the tank

Been dosing with stability stability and prime as per dosages required.

Salifert test kits used
    Refracto SG at 1.020
    PH 8 (no lights on the QT,only natural light)
    ammonia 0
    Nitrate 2
    nitrite 0
    Alk 8
    temp 25
    Calcium 410
    phophate 0.2

all test kits i have

[​IMG]

other side
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

looks like fairly severe hemorrhaging - probably with associated bacterial infection.

4. maj

maj Thread Starter

caused by?
    he was eatin fine till yesterday

are th other fish in the qt at risk?

5. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

If it is a bacterial infection, the bacteria could have been arrived with the fish, whose immune system was suppressing their proliferation/ action on the body tissue / ability to cause tissue destruction. The fish's immune system may have been compromised for whatever reason (drop in temperature / swift change in SG / stress from being moved from previous tank / etc, etc).

Less chance of the other fish becoming infected if they are healthy and have fully functional immune system.

6. maj

maj Thread Starter

others seem fine,they just ate now.
    ther no skimmer on the tank now,and i have microbe lift herbtana that iw ant to dose to help assist the rest of the fish to boost ther immune system.

hope its ok to dose without a skimmer present,am doing 20% water changes evry 3rd day
    @HenkHugo @FransSny

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited: 18 May 2012
  8. maj

maj Thread Starter

thnks belinda,seems to look the same,but the only symptom that could of matched was that he stayed ontop of the water surface
    but he wasn lazy and he was eating.

not sure wher this species brain is,as per article its affect close to the brain

but yes belinda,i too couldn find anythin else on the net,this is the closest match this far

9. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

We can always hope that it's Internal Bacterial Infection...they also have "red"...will admitt the "white center" makes me worried...:(

10. maj

maj Thread Starter

truly hoping it doesnt spread to the others:(

11. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

I have not used herbtana, but think that it is a remedy for parasites - if this is bacterial in origin (and I think it is), you will need to use an anti-bacterial agent.

12. Ala Jardine

Ala Jardine

The white coloration may be due to post mortem changes - it depends on how long the fish had been dead for before you found it.

13. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Hey maj I had something similar happen to my lamarck. Found mine with a hole in its side.
    This is what mine looked like, still dont know what it what it was, fortunately it did not spread to my other fish.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 May 2012
  14. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Everyone calm down. Lets please focus on topic. As I am sure maj would like an accurate diagnosis as to what is going on here to pervent further losses. Perhaps we can get input form other people who have seen something similar?

15. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Sean H

Sean H

I would say according to the picture it is early symptom of velvet. This is a secondary infection from ammonia poisoning which is generally hemorrhaging which are the red blotches. Do a crosscheck on your ammonia test kit . When I land my consignment of fish. The first to get these symptoms are angels, Goldie's.

17. FransSny

FransSny

maj , 100 % fine to dose without skimmer (actually best IMHO).

As for your disease , I had exactly the same happen to my Lemarck...after being in the tank for 2 months...the best ID I could find is Uronema marinum.

Its an ectoparasite which will also invade the internal organs , a lot of success has been had with cloroquine treatments , freshwater dips can be dangerous due to possible osmotic shock due to the lesions

Good luck bud

18. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Definitely looks like a bacterial infection. Could have been secondary. Would have treated with metronidazole, since that works for a lot of ciliates as well as bacteria.

19. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

On a side note I'm extremely skeptical of Herbtana. Just like human herbal remedies, it's very difficult to prove that they actually do anything at all. For every person that swears by it, there is another that says it did nothing and they lost half their livestock.

Example: John Doe adds a new fish and suddenly everything in the tank breaks out in whitespot. John rushes to the LFS and and buys Herbtana and adds it to the tank. After the week or whatever dosing period it says, the fish lose their whitespot. Oh wow, it must be a miracle cure.

In my experience a lot of fish will recover from whitespot by themselves if in good conditions and feeding well. Whitespot usually breaks out when a stress factor is introduced. Be it a new fish, or a change in water conditions. Once fish get used to the stress factor or it is removed, the fish slowly recover on their own accord.

In my opinion, don't waste your money on this stuff. If you want to go the immune boosting route to disease control, then feed a good variety of vitamin/HUFA enriched food (Ocean Nutrition has some good ones). Otherwise use a scientifically proven method/medication.

20. Achilles

Achilles

its hard to make definite diagnosis but it appears to be uronema infection? did this happen in hyposalinity uronema is very common if hypo is being used .

your salinity is slightly low which makes me think uronema could be the cause but short of microscopic diagnosis a couple of diseases can cause wounds like that

It can be contagious if it is uronema observe other fish carefully, and perhaps consider a dose of myxazin/paraguard , uronema resists copper fairly well but standard treatment would be formalin/malachite green medicines such as myxazin. If you want to try amilder medication use paraguard it would also help if uronema is present in the QT. Chloroquine phosphate is pretty hardcore if you make mistake on dosage you will kill fish though it would help too.

It is opportunistic disease and i suspect there was stressful parameter in your water quality that brought it on but it can be from shipping stress, overcrowding, poor nutrition,sudden changes in enviroment. It is very common but usually doesnt get foothold if conditions are good but it likes to be found even on areas of uneaten food .

To prevent infection of other fish maintain high water quality with more water changes and add one of the 2 meds mentioned

maj likes this.
  21. Achilles

Achilles

true words!

Recent Posts