Reaction score
Hi

I'm a new member and my name is Phillip. I have started with my marine tank 7 weeks ago. My tank is 1.8m long and 600mm high and 600mm wide.

My filter box 1.5 m long 400 x 400.

At this stage my tank is full of algae. Pet Stop recommended an algae earing fish. I purchased one the long nose butterfly. Will have to see if it works. Any recommendations from you guys???

Masahello

Welcome, nice tank!
I think that 7 weeks is to early for a fish and especially a fish to solve a problem. What we can do is help you fix the problem so this algae disappears naturally as this is common in new tanks.

If u have pics of everything so we can see and also post your water params.

I am sure u will love this hobby, its the best
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi there and :welcometomasa2:, that is a very nice tank size you have there, but as far as I know, the long-nose butterfly doesn't eat algae, it actually eats the little critters that live in the little grooves and holes in the rocks.

Welcome to MASA, hope it's not your cell no you used as your user name?
Did you test your water before adding that fish? If yes, what are your parameters?
A bit too soon to add a sensitive fish like a butterfly.
Can you post pictures of your tank and sump?

Hi Phillip - a VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great that you have found us and joined MASA.

I would RATHER change your used id to something other than you personal Cell number. Please let me know ASAP - that I can change it to something else - this is a public forum, and you could QUITE easily be bothered by some unwanted solicitors....

That said - I would say NO - your tank is far to young still to put an algae eating fish in. You must FIRST find the cause of the algae.
Your tank's water is still in it's cycling process - therefor the "algae".

Perhaps you can post some pictures (click on the "Quick Upload" link at the bottom of the Quick Reply area) of what this "algae" looks like?

Rather get to the cause of the algae, than trying to add a fish to remove the result of a problem.

Hi there and :welcometomasa2:, that is a very nice tank size you have there, but as far as I know, the long-nose butterfly doesn't eat algae, it actually eats the little critters that live in the little grooves and holes in the rocks.

Correct there, forgot to mention that ;), so it can actually starve in a tank with too little live rock or that hasn't matured a bit :(

Hi Phillip - welcome to MASA - I agree with dallas - algea is common with new tank - just a friendly word of advise on Pet shops - some of them are out there just to make a quick buck - if they give you advise involving and have something to gain monetry wise it could be good advise or vested interest just so you can buy something! Plz double or triple check with ppl here on MASA - they have nothing to gain financially except having one more happy reefer join our family here at MASA - So to save you some $$$$ and heartache check with everyone here first - cheers till later

Sure I mentioned some of those points :)
I suspect its part of the cycling process, but let's see some of the water params
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Phil, welcome to MASA.

Guys, i spoke to Phil about his user name(number) it isn't a cell phone:)

Hello, getting grazing fish is not going solve your problem. Check your water parameters and find out what is causing it (Nitrates / Phosphates)

Reduce feeding, increase biological filtration, reduce light period, increase water changes, use chemical filtration - these are all ways of decreasing the bad parameters and in turn get rid of algae.

And it works, this forum is the proof.

Welcome to MASA :)

hello phillip:)

nice to have you here, that’s a lovely size tank, its basically what i had:) Its great to know that you are cycling, pity to hear that you have a fish in there and then a long nosed butterfly at that! but perhaps we can help you with the algae the correct way so that the tank gets off its wobbly start and onto an even keel.

you will hear alot in masa about testing your water parameters. basically because its incredibly important to know what your water quality is.

Do you have any test kits? if so what are they. have you used them and what are the parameters.

Live Rock. Do you have any (you don’t mention it and at the price LFS charge you should have spend a good couple of thousand on it so i think you would have mentioned it)? How much do you have and what kind?

Water. You have salt water in there right? what’s the SG and how do you measure it?
How did you make it? What brand of salt did you use?
Where did you get the fresh water from? a tap or RO water?
Do you have an RO unit?

Nice sump you have there, can you post a pic, or at least describe it to us, as in how many compartments and what’s in the sump.

Do you have a skimmer and what kind is it?

can you please answer those questions for us, and then we will have a fuller idea of what we can do to help you get the tank off to a better start. OH AND PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANY MORE FISH, ESPECIALLY A PRETTY ONE! :)

Hi All

Thanks for the nice welcome and advice, I will send pic as soon as the cam batteries are charged. Yes crispin i test the SG once a day and it measures to 1.023 I measure it with a hydrometer not the floating tipe this one looks like a triangle that you scoop water into.i have got a OR unit.No i dont have a test kit yet, but i take sample water every saterday to the local pet shop for testing they test at this stage only PH and nitrite,the PH is 8.2 and nitrite 0 reading.i buy salt water at the pet shop.

My sump has got 5 compartments, the first compartment host the Reeftek protein skimmer second compartment is filled halfway with silica sand and crused coral,third and forth compartments are filled with filter floss and soft rock and last compartment host the return pump a AP4660 145w 4800l/h.

In the tank base i got crused coral and 4.5kg live rock,2x Seio 1100GPH/4400L/h flow pumps and 1x Resun 15000 wave maker produces 3 different waves. Lights is 2x T5 and 2x Metal halide lamps, The metal halide lamps woks from 11H00 to 15H00 and the T5 from 7H00 to 21H00.

O and my mistake the fish its a Fox Face.

Back
Top Bottom