My dream!!

What sort of nitrate level do you have?
Some say that nitrates and cyno go hand in hand.

I'm also struggling with it, I suspect its my nitrates in the 15ppm range that are the problem.
The side of my tank worst affected, is that which gets afternoon sun/natural light reflection.
but its also the side I battle to vacumn - which defintely works

AfricaOffroad

Nitrate level undetectable. Same for the phosphates.
SG = 1.025
PH = 8.20
KH = 9
CA = 460
Mag = 1320
I know that even if it is undetectable its not alwyas the case, but its been undetectable since day 1, so nothing changed there. I am now running my NP pellet reactor slightly lower. The thought is that if it is tumbling the pellets high small fragments MIGHT get into the tank and settle on the substrate. I have my doubts though as I only have cyano on one side of the tank. Trying all the theories now. I'm starting to think its the flow..... and the heat! You might be on to something there. The side that has the cyano is also the side that gets the most light. Not sun though. But then again, as has been said, how do the bacteria know its summer! :eek:

AfricaOffroad

Nitrate level undetectable. Same for the phosphates.
SG = 1.025
PH = 8.20
KH = 9
CA = 460
Mag = 1320
I know that even if it is undetectable its not alwyas the case, but its been undetectable since day 1, so nothing changed there. I am now running my NP pellet reactor slightly lower. The thought is that if it is tumbling the pellets high small fragments MIGHT get into the tank and settle on the substrate. I have my doubts though as I only have cyano on one side of the tank. Trying all the theories now. I'm starting to think its the flow..... and the heat! You might be on to something there. The side that has the cyano is also the side that gets the most light. Not sun though. But then again, as has been said, how do the bacteria know its summer! :eek:

Awesome tank !

What test kits are you using for those readings and is it not possibly a low DO issue.
also does the substrate level differ there. I find low DO. Levels common with slim line over flow.

Also what sand are you using in DSB.

Again I must say awesome tank.

Awesome tank !

What test kits are you using for those readings and is it not possibly a low DO issue.
also does the substrate level differ there. I find low DO. Levels common with slim line over flow.

Also what sand are you using in DSB.

Again I must say awesome tank.

ADVdiver,
Thanks so much for the comments, Am using API test kits from USA and have Salifert. Both same results. Substrate the same on both sides of the tank. With the start-up added Caribsea sugarfine aragonite and then about 1 month later added more coarse Caribsea Aragonite to the tank. (Found with the Sandsifting goby the sugarfine was all over the rockwork). I cannot think that it is low DO. The 4 X MP40ES pumps are set on an ECO setting that really stirs the water in different directions and theres a lot of surface motion (so much that I have to turn them down because of splashing on the lights). But just to make sure I have added 2X sunsun pumps directed to the surface and 1X directed to the substrate. Waterflow and motion is real chaotic in the tank now!
The DSB has been running for 1 year now and also has Caribsea Sugarfine Aragonite in. This stuff is mind boggeling. Some days it seems as though it is subsiding and about disapear and the next day its back:whistling: O yes, I have also brought the tanks temp down about 2 days ago. Have always run the tank on a constant 26 deg. (Profilux). Brought it down to 25.5 now. The lights has been set to 70% brightness for about 3 weeks now. Maybe!!

INTRODUCING!! The new Guy on the Block!

49464eb659a0e3adf.jpg

At least 17cm in length! I think the name Moby Dick would suffice! He is gi-normous! Well thats what the other inhabitants think. And yet, they all get along just fine! Wonder why?

And some more tank pics!
49464eb659a1378e7.jpg

49464eb659a13f9cb.jpg

49464eb659a149634.jpg

OMG..... What is this "mom" added this time.... A whale? The face says it all!!!
49464eb659a151ef0.jpg

Moby looks wonderful, and the blenny popping it's head over the coral shroom rock is a favorite of mine.

Your photography skills are solid. Just a brilliant setup. What is going to happen when this tank matures. Think you can put it back into the sea when you are finished with it.

As requested! A mini tour of the "behind the scenes" of the DT:

49464eb668ee2e51a.jpg

The skinny overflow.
49464eb660b66d41e.jpg

The vortech MP40ES. There is 4X built in. 2 On the one side and two on the other side of the tank. Sorry the pics are not so visible, but it difficult to get proper photos of the back of the tank. Tank close to the wall.
49464eb6614681953.jpg

Sorry Guys.Gals.... If you press enter twice.... mistake!

Continued....
49464eb6614681953.jpg

The ProfiluxIII, plugbar and DB-box. All neatly built into a cupboard that I can close. No wires are visible going to the DB Box. Another of Adriaans obsessions.... Wires hidden in neat trunking. The obsolete built-in braai doubles as a nice space for the backup power. 2X deepcycle batteries with an inverter. At this stage, only the return pump (Eheim)is running off that.

49464eb660b69ba83.jpg

Automatic Top up tank underneath the "obsolete braai". (Controlled by the Profilux). I only fill this tank manually every 7 days.
49464eb660b694544.jpg

Tucked away neatly behind the tank is the chiller. The valve that is seen is seen on the photo is the drainage valve. I hook a hose onto this valve and drain the water when I do a waterchange.

49464eb660b68b4bf.jpg

NP Pellet reactor, chiller and Refugium all run off 1 Eheim pump. Valves regulate the amount of water going to the NP pellets, the chiller and up to the Refugium and from there a natural overflow back into the sump.
49464eb668ee49a97.jpg

The skimmer and Calcium reactor.

49464eb660b681c72.jpg

View from the sump side. Three chambers in the sump. Small chamber for the skimmer. Main chamber for the liverock and third for the uptake chamber.

49464eb668ee5fde7.jpg

3X 300W Titanium heaters controlled by the Profilux

49464eb668ee580e5.jpg

49464eb668ee50fc8.jpg

49464eb66b1a106eb.jpg

What I really appreciate of the build, is that no wiring is visible. All the wires and cables are hidden in trunking. Makes for a streamline and neat look. And is also a great safety plus!

49464eb6614689deb.jpg

Outside I have a small wendyhouse that houses my RO system with a 250 liter RO tank. Next to the RO tank is a 500 liter saltwater tank. The system works great. When the RO tank is full it automatically tops up the salwater tank until it is full. I add salt as needed. Waterchanges is the only manual labour I have to do. I hook a hose onto the 500 liter tanks outlet and pump the water to the DT.
There you go! My tank!

Moby looks wonderful, and the blenny popping it's head over the coral shroom rock is a favorite of mine.

Your photography skills are solid. Just a brilliant setup. What is going to happen when this tank matures. Think you can put it back into the sea when you are finished with it.

Thanks Seabass:lol:
Blenny (Called Homer Simpson! for obvious reasons) is my favourite as well. First fish I ever bought. Character like no other fish!
Can you just imagine how wonderful it would be if mankind can add their creations back into the sea. Instead of always taking from the sea!:(

At least 17cm in length! I think the name Moby Dick would suffice! He is gi-normous! Well thats what the other inhabitants think. And yet, they all get along just fine! Wonder why?

Wow!! He does look happy, know you gonna take good care of him. I think everybody knows the king has arrived therefor the good behavior lol
Your setup is something to marvel at....one day when I'm big :thumbup:

Wow!! He does look happy, know you gonna take good care of him. I think everybody knows the king has arrived therefor the good behavior lol
Your setup is something to marvel at....one day when I'm big :thumbup:

Thanks Greg, He has really settled in perfectly. He cruises around as if he has been in the tank for ages. Even big mates with the pair "Laurel and Hardy". The purple tang and his mate the Fox. And his eating like a pig :thumbup:

Thanks Greg, He has really settled in perfectly. He cruises around as if he has been in the tank for ages. Even big mates with the pair "Laurel and Hardy". The purple tang and his mate the Fox. And his eating like a pig :thumbup:

:)

Helga

Really impressed with your setup, dedication and patience.
Would love to pop around sometime and have a look.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Ciao!

Niel

Thanks Nsteyn,
I'm really enjoying my tank and its inhabitants. Really so welcome to pop in. Would love to share advice and ideas! And advice always welcome. Let me know when your available for a visit.

Last edited:
SOME NEW PICS!!!!
Christmas came early.... A new camera that I still have no idea how to use to its full potential! Hubby surprized me with a Nikon D3100. It came with 2 lenses. A 18X55mm, a 55X300mm and bought a macro lense 105 F2.8 extra. It is the entry level Nikon but I am so chuffed. Up to now used a Olympus "mik en druk". Now to learn how to use it :biggrin:

Here's some pics taken on Auto:
49464ecbb9805f4f4.jpg

49464ecbb838bcf7f.jpg

49464ecbb838e963b.jpg

49464ecbb838f1b09.jpg

49464ecbb7be9cecb.jpg

49464ecbb7becc4a1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom