Lighty's New 110g Tank

Update time!

Hi all, thought I should update this a bit.

I've just filled 1 of my 1000L flo bins with NSW (for water changes), I still need to connect the other flo bin to the tanks and get the plumbing sorted out, this will then increase my volume to 1600lts.

I'm wanting to replace my TS2 skimmer for something a bit more powerfull, was thinking of the Bubble Blaster 5000-INT or the OCTX-250-EXT.

Are there any other recommendations on skimmers?

Mmmmm Getting us all excited when we see the word "update" - Only to open up the thread and find NO PICS! .... Well the OCTX External s supposed to outrun the internal and I'm extremely pleased with my internal so I can recommend that - the only drawback is you will be topping up more often but coz this beast can whip out nasaties like the end of the world is near - I take out like about 25-30ltrs per week and you must remember to check salinity more often ... in fact you might end up topping up with salt water only (which shouldn't be a problem for you) But on the plus side if I overfeed and my 6 foot gets all cloudy I have like crystal clear water in like an hour or so..... I also looked at the other skimmer and cant see a problem with either ... I'm sure you'll be more than covered with either ... All the best in your decision....

hey dude wicked setup , i need to visit you and andrees soon
have you completed the outside filtration setup ? can you post sum pics of this

Quick update

Hi All

Thought I would post a quick update.

So what new...... Installed a Bubble Blaster 5000 skimmer about 2 months back, started running filter cloth on the overflow outlets and recently aquired a AM quad doser unit.

I'm amamazed as to how much this skimmer can pull out, this thing pulls out in 1 day as much skimate as my TS2 would remove in 4-6 days! but I've also noticed my SG has been dropping slowly, so need to keep and eye on this....

Since the addition of the filter cloth I've notice my water has become very clear, removing all those large particles, I will eventually install a 100micron filter back, but for now the cloth is fine, washing it every 2 days.

I'm now going to dose all my suplements with the help of the AM quad doser, Alk, Ca, Vodka and either Mg or MicroBacter7, not too sure. hooked the first 3 up last night so will monitor usage and adjust acordingly.

Also been thinking of down grading my lights from 2x 400W to 2x 250W, mainly to save on electricity, but doesn't look like its going to happen as the cost of the new gear is not cheap.

Also thinking of installing 4x 54w T5 on a dimable circuit, to create sunrise and sunset, but this is still in the planning/development stage, along with my DIY lightning unit.

Current parameter (at 20h00 3/08/10 - For my record;))

pH : 8.2
Alk : 11.2 dKh
Ca : 425 ppm

your alk is super high bud. should look at lowering it. Nice to know the idea to go down from 400w and share some electricity with the neighbours has finally arrived :p i'd say put Mg on the last pump. How about some pics?

The alk did climb a bit more than expected, but this was from before I added the dosing pump, will drop it down to about 8.5-9dKh, which will be ballanced with the Ca, Or should I rather increase the Ca to 440ppm?

Hi guys

So its been a while, not much happed as I've been quite tied up with work.

I'm still seriously considering down grading my lights, will hopefully be sorting this out over the next month or so.

Parameters have been stable, just with a problem with NO3, now sitting around 50 ppm, Been dosing Microbactor7, which has really made the coral colour up nicely, but hasn't done much for my NO3 :(, I will be starting with Vodka again, and wanting to test out a bottle of Microbe-lift.

I actually spent some time on the tank last night tidying up cables, pipes etc. and managed to get the cabinet around the tank again, 1st time in over 2 year. :blush:

I'm also thinking of making a new sump and eventually connecting the flow bin up, but I won't go into that just yet, baby steps :lol:

I will take some pics once all I'm finished with the re-arranging.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom