impatient nuub :D

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

well, At this stage I have nothing except some spare cash in the bank (LIMITED).

I have a friend or two who know their way around and lots of forums to guide me.

This is the setup I am thinking about...
1500(l) x 800(w) x 600(h) (due to room requirements)

4ft sump (layout is still being investigated so feel free...)

Lighting (thinking of MH and T5 combo, but are struggling to get a place to buy this from)

Skimmer, pump(still to be determined)

"powerhead" Polario dual outlet 22000L/H - overkill?what did I forget?

well, that's the starting point - lets c how far we get :D

tnx and nice reading you all :D

Niel

Hey Neil, welcome to masa its great to have you here :)

that a nice planned tank youve got in your head, especially like the width 800 is great for aquascaping and increases the water vollume nicely over a tank of say 500, but are you sure you will have access to all parts of the tank. Its amazingly frustrating to have a coral get toppled over and not be able to reach the back corner. So plan the position carefully (perhaps you can acccess from the back as well, I dont know).

for the sump i would simply go with a three chamber set up with skimmer, dsb and return being in each chamber. Seems the simpliest and works well :) Shout if you need a more detailed explanation:)

Have you thought about the stand much? Are you planning to DIY this build or get it made up for you. As a note to stand height, i have one that is a good 900 off the floor which is great as i can get in a large skimmer and still have height above the sump to remove the cup, and i dont have to bend to view into the tank. But then I stand to view my tank mainly, if you plan to view from a couch its fine to go with a lower stand.

Basically you need to plan every aspect of your tank before going anywhere with a wallet, that way you save yourself alot of cash in the long run.

welcome to masa and happy postings:)

Welcome both to masa:wave2:

yip you dont want your number on the forum man...youll get some funny guys and girls calling:p...

Nsteyn...the polaria wont be a overkill....far from it.

drop me a pm if you need any info regarding equipment ect:)

Enjoy yoursaty...and feel free to join your local reef club:thumbup:

Hi all.

Thank you for all the warm welcomes.
Crispin - tnx for advise on the stand - I have 2 left thumbs, so I will be getting someone to do it for me.. in the process off obtaining quotes.

Lanzo.. expect a PM from me soon.

Keep it coming guys, and thanx!

Niel

Welcome to MASA.

Welcome to MASA.

As Lanzo said the Polario wont be an overkill I ran mine in my old 1,5 mtr and it really worked lekka.

Unfortunately the first shipment of polario's had lots of issues......havent heard any new complaints though (or did people stop buying them :whistling:)

Welcome to MASA!!

oooh - any comments on the polario's or any other ideas on that topic?

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined.

You still need a good reverse osmosis unit to make the water safe as tap water is out :nono:
You would also need the salt and good quality test kits to test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, kH, pH and calcium.
You can get phosphates and magnesium later on.
You will need a refractometer or a hydrometer to measure the salinity of the water.

then there is the live rock, substrate, auto RO top up unit or you can manually top up evapourated water with RO water ONLY.
You will need plumbing and a heater or 2, etc

Still a lot to get, and you'll still add as you go - but those I mentioned on top of your list is a must to have a successfull tank ;)

Good luck :wave2:

masahello

everyone has mentioned what u need, but most of important i will say again is patience :)

but looks like u have a nice setup planned

Well then, a quick update from me.
I went the lazy route (since I am NOT good at DIY) and asked Ernst from Die Visdam to build my my 1.5m tank with sump and canopy! Cant wait for it to arrive....

My sump is [FONT=&quot]1,200 x 450 x 400. [/FONT]

I have opted for the T5 lighting option (8 x 80w) instead of the MH for the canopy.

Since my finances is a bit limited, I will get the equipment in drips and drags, and will only start when I have all the bits and pieces.

Thinking of getting 2x SEIO Prop 1500 powerheads for movement at this stage, and will add as needed, and a Reef Octopus XTreme Skimmer 160 (1500l).

What do you guys think?

8 x 80 W t5? shees thats massive. You will have heating issues and you defeinatley need those in individual reflectors but under that you could keep any sps, clam or nennie once water parameters are good enough. (NOTE: good enough water parameters for nennies is a mature system of around 6-9 months so dont get excited ok :))

Tnx all.
Another quick question - How important is RO water in the beginning? Should I fill my tank with RO from the start or just the top ups and water replacements?
I dont have money at this stage to buy an RO unit, so have to get it from my lFS...

And another thing - is RO just hype or are there real benefits to it? (just to get some reaction :p )

Back
Top Bottom