Who is breeding what and where?

I have that
Are we talking about the same stuff
I am taking about selcon from the usa

I was talking about Selco, but Selcon should be more or less the same.
What´s wrong with brightwells stuff?

Brines are easy to cultivate and found there is in breeding fresh water species. Because they occure in almost no salinity up to a very high salinity, they are used for marine aquaculture as well. Brine shrimps are used as a shell, just like rotifers, to transfer high value nutrition via the brine/rotifer into the larvae.
The nutrition value of a brine shrimp is similar like the nutrition value of the brines food. Except directly after hatching.
Brines are not dangerous, if frozen adult brines are rinsed well before feeding and if live brine naupli are rinsed as well before feeding. There was a time without flakes and pellets, frozen and dried prey only.

When you wrote, long term problems in our reefs, you probably meant the tank at home. No, if rinsed well! Rather feed frozen mysis than frozen brines, as the nutriton value is much better.

Hope this answers your questions.
Brine shrimp are like Bunny chows, the bread is just gutloaded with yummy curry or like a Katkop with chips and tomatoe sauce
:lol:

Thanks Dane. It´s a very good read.

The achievement in this experiment was a total of 10 juveniles through Metamorphosis in 13 trials with 2.170 fertile eggs, with the use of wild caught plankton as first feed.

That is my point since post #17! Raise brines before you start with angels!

Thanks Dane. It´s a very good read.

The achievement in this experiment was a total of 10 juveniles through Metamorphosis in 13 trials with 2.170 fertile eggs, with the use of wild caught plankton as first feed.

That is my point since post #17! Raise brines before you start with angels!

Unfortunately for most people collecting wild caught plankton is very labour intensive.
I should point out, raising brine shrimp is not that difficult but what Marcel means is raising good brine shrimp is and even healthy brine shrimp are only as good as what they are gut loaded with, except for the first stages.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for most people collecting wild caught plankton is very labour intensive.
I should point out, raising brine shrimp is not that difficult but what Marcel means is raising good brine shrimp is and even healthy brine shrimp are only as good as what they are gut loaded with, except for the first stages.

Steve, what I want to say is, they used wild caught plankton, because that was the only first feed that worked out. At this stage it is impossible to raise angels without having wild caught plankton.
And I say it again, 90% of all reefer will fail with raising brine shrimps in good numbers.
And that makes it difficult!

Last edited:
good advice, but i have raised brine shrimps for years.
i have tiger pods etc breeding as well, as for my choice of fish, i am not interested in clowns, but will try cardinals, neon gobies and pygmy angels for several reasons. A: i like the species, and B i have the facilities.
but having all that means nothing if i cant get them to spawn first.

but having all that means nothing if i cant get them to spawn first.

That is the point, Dallas. No spawn, nothing to play with.
Worldwide the clownfish breeders experienced, that out of 10 mated pairs only 2 to 4 pairs will finally spawn. It is still hard to believe for me.

Hi Marcel, we agree, at the moment we are using the opportunity to work out a practical tumbling method.
Have you tried peppermints again?

Hi
I have a pair of ocellaris clowns that are cleaning a spot next to their anemone.
I have brine shrimp but need green-water and rotifers.
Can you help?
Rossco, Randburg

I would see if someone closer has some, possibly do a separate thread asking for phyto and rotifer in your area. Search on the forum for rotifer, greenwater and phytoplankton and you may find someone. If you have no luck then ask me again, but Rogan has just had clown eggs laid and must build up his rotifer numbers. I know DV8 has sent some up to people.

Hi
I have a pair of ocellaris clowns that are cleaning a spot next to their anemone.
I have brine shrimp but need green-water and rotifers.
Can you help?
Rossco, Randburg

The first few spawns usually don´t hatch, because the parents eat the eggs or the eggs just disappear. If you don´t have time and space, but you don´t want to waste the eggs, I will buy the pair from you and replaced it with their offspring within 6 months. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Any updates on who is breeding what and where; we (Rogan and I) have dwarf seahorses breeding, don't currently have a mated pair of Banggais, so that is taking a back seat at present.
We are hoping to breed H. trimaculatus and H. erectus in the future, but it looks like the three H. trimaculatus are all females which is a setback.

Back
Top Bottom