Who is breeding what and where?

Marcel - how big, and what does an adult brineshrimp look like? Sorry - I would just love to know myself?

Jacques, I am aware of the fact, that my post might cause some trouble, but I think it is enough now and the day dreamers have to wake up.

Raising brine shrimp in quantity to adulthood is very difficult. Raising clowns is much easier. My first attempt to raise clowns was succesful with 70 percent survival, but it took me many attempts to raise brines.

Brines grow up to almost 2cm in length and it takes roughly two weeks to grow them out. Trev knows what adult brines look like, because I gave him a jar full of brines in all sizes.

If you can´t raise peppermint shrimps, damsels or mandarins, forget about raising angels, tangs and triggers. Yes, I also would like to raise dwarf angels and I ordered today a pair flames and a pair potters as well as two pairs of harlequin shrimps.
In a couple of weeks, I am going to drop my job and do the breeding in fulltime.
To get as much experiences as possible, I am going to keep all these different species. When I got the time in between clowns, I will see how far I can get with other species.

Guys, please be realistic. Breeding marines is important and wish everybody all the best to succeed. But if you put to much money into an already dead born baby, that doesn´t help anybody. It is frustrating to loose one batch after the other and no sight of a bit success.

25074c165aa72a302.jpg

No problems, Marcel. I am just really interested in the brines. Do you think that the brines would also reach +-2cm in 2 weeks' time, in nature?
Yes, they have to. The environment changes very quick were they live. So time is survival.

Ah ok - many thanks then. The little critters that I have in my sump tank, could then not be brineshrimp (even though I dropped a huge amount of brineshrimp eggs in the tank, about 3-4 weeks ago....)

Ah ok - many thanks then. The little critters that I have in my sump tank, could then not be brineshrimp (even though I dropped a huge amount of brineshrimp eggs in the tank, about 3-4 weeks ago....)

What? You dropped brine shrimp eggs into your tank? By accident I guess or?

LOL - Yes, and no, Marcel.

Yes, I did indeed put brineshrimp eggs into one of my sump tanks, and no - it was an experiment. Deliberate.... Not by accident....

Very stupid idea, my friend. The main reason why breeders decapsule brine shrimp eggs is, the eggs are contaminated with many diseases. That does not mean, they will break out, but they can. As an example, if you would feed lots of frozen brine shrimp to your display tank over a long period of time, without rinsing the brines, the fish in your tank will be more or less okay. There might be a loss here and there, but you don´t know why the fish died. Any new introduced fish will die! That is a fact and this fact is very expensive. I paid that bill already. When I started with marines, I was just lazy and kept the frozen brine shrimp cube in front of a powerhead for feeding.
Deadly mistake!
So don´t do such stupid experiments in the future.
BTW, brines are not living in the ocean, so you can´t expect them to survive under these conditions.

WOW..... OK.... Thanks for letting me know. I had No idea! To tell the truth - these eggs were lying in my "stuff" now, in a tube container, for the past 3 years..... I did not even think that they would work anymore.....

aw c'mon marcel! Raising brineshrimp isnt that hard!! I kept some on my desk in my honours lab last year in a tiny little tank (like maybe 1L) and they did fine with almost no attention whatsoever! (just topped up evap from the tap!) Theres a culture on the roof of the uct biology labs that has been going for decades - completely unattended! its just an old asbestos rain container that is completely left alone. They breed and have been going for yonks!

I think I am to blame for this as I suggested it ... But forgive me as I did not know ... Ok I should say fortunately for JB and myself we haven't had ill effects and this was awwhile ago ... or should we still be worried? Mind you all ... I did ask before doing so in my thread and didn't get any warnings ... but then again before I get reminded by Dean ... He can't employ someone to be at my beck and call 24/7!

on a side note... marcel you're going to breed harlequins!!! Thats amazing! :-D And how about some sexy shrimp! You never see them for sale here in sa?

aw c'mon marcel! Raising brineshrimp isnt that hard!! I kept some on my desk in my honours lab last year in a tiny little tank (like maybe 1L) and they did fine with almost no attention whatsoever! (just topped up evap from the tap!) Theres a culture on the roof of the uct biology labs that has been going for decades - completely unattended! its just an old asbestos rain container that is completely left alone. They breed and have been going for yonks!

Dane, maybe not for you or for UCT or for mother nature itself.
We should have a competition. You will be surprised how many will fail. 90% at least!
Raising brines is easy for me, just as clowns. That does not mean everybody can raise brines to adulthood.

I think I am to blame for this as I suggested it ... But forgive me as I did not know ... Ok I should say fortunately for JB and myself we haven't had ill effects and this was awwhile ago ... or should we still be worried? Mind you all ... I did ask before doing so in my thread and didn't get any warnings ... but then again before I get reminded by Dean ... He can't employ someone to be at my beck and call 24/7!

Chika, we all doing or we did so many stupid things, because we are humans and on top of the food chain. And we know it all.
I learnt my lesson why to rinse brines before feeding.
As long as we learn from our mistakes and not causing to much damage, then it´s fine.

i think it is good to learn the hard way
And that is how you learn the best

There is a lot of info today i have found a paper on how to bring up blue mauritius angels with every thing in it even water temps
I have not down loaded it it cost 30$
The info is out there you just haave to look

on a side note... marcel you're going to breed harlequins!!! Thats amazing! :-D And how about some sexy shrimp! You never see them for sale here in sa?

Dane, I ordered harlequins. Does not mean I am going to breed them. I will try, yes.
Maintarget is to raise and wean them of seastars. If it works, good business. If not, good experience and move on to something else.

Sexy shrimp? I get them, I think in July and I am going to raise them. Different story, because I can raise them. Just like I said about clowns. And I did it.

There are things, I can do, because I know it. (clowns and sexy´s)
There are things, I can do, because I got the feeling and I still have to prove it. (peppermints, fire shrimps, damsels, mandarins and lionfish)
There are things, I can do, but I might give up, because it is to labour and cost intense. (cleaner shrimps and dwarf angels)

In five years from now, I will know what I did in the past and what I am not able to do in the future.;)

Hahaha marcel I am certainly not trying to compete! Your breeding skills and success rates are literally a world first! As you said only a few made it to adulthood, but they were able to keep the population going so I guess its all good - but certainly not what you're after for commercial raising! Also - it was my understanding that the cysts of the artemia are undigestable - thus the reason they are harmful for your fish, didnt know they carry diseases! Do you have a source or article re. this? Very interesting!

Jacque - brine shrimp are not marine creatures, they are inhabitants of ephemeral pools. Usually temporary puddles that occur during rains, and only last a short while. These puddles often have higher salinity than the ocean (typically - brine shrimp are pretty tolerant and adaptable little buggers! well, within the conditions they are adapted for) so the chances of them hatching out in our tanks is pretty low. They like really nasty water :p In nature anyway. I have read of populations existing for a while in sumps etc.

i think it is good to learn the hard way
And that is how you learn the best

There is a lot of info today i have found a paper on how to bring up blue mauritius angels with every thing in it even water temps

Do you have a link for me?

There is no hard way to learn, if you can´t learn, because you can´t make progress. ;)
If you never raised clowns and damsels, you will never get angels right. Do you really think Frank Baensch started with dwarf angels?

Yuri, give me the article title, authors and journal and I'd be happy to see if I can get institutional access through uct. Would only take me a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom