snail help needed

Reaction score
Hi there

I just added 2 snails & 2 hermit crabs yesterday afternoon the one snail is happy on the glass of the tank eating as well as the hermits. the one snail is not moving much even when put next to the glass it is doing nothing? maybe it died?

Watch them at night and check if it is active. If it is dead, the hermit will take it's shell.( if it is a bigger one).

maybe it died?

If it is still holding on to the glass then it is not dead, if it is just lying there, take it out and smell it - if it stinks, it is dead.

snails are very sensitive to salinity changes, and can also be injured by pulling them off the rocks or glass (e.g. by the petshop or wholesale supplier). Unfortunately, they can take a few weeks to die, and the chances are about 60% - 70% (IME) that a snail would have been injured somewhere along the supply chain - us poor hobbyists then end up paying for snails, but they die in less than about two weeks... not a good return on investment.

Hennie

If it is still holding on to the glass then it is not dead, if it is just lying there, take it out and smell it - if it stinks, it is dead.

snails are very sensitive to salinity changes, and can also be injured by pulling them off the rocks or glass (e.g. by the petshop or wholesale supplier). Unfortunately, they can take a few weeks to die, and the chances are about 60% - 70% (IME) that a snail would have been injured somewhere along the supply chain - us poor hobbyists then end up paying for snails, but they die in less than about two weeks... not a good return on investment.

Hennie

Thanks again Hennie for great insight..

thanks guys - it started & got to the top of the tank & then dropped to the bottom & has not moved since & put it next to the glass & it just does nothing - it moves if it gets touched! can I just leave it even if it dies? good for food for the crabs?

also a little upsetting my first bit of live stock has already died!!

Hell :(

thanks guys - it started & got to the top of the tank & then dropped to the bottom & has not moved since & put it next to the glass & it just does nothing - it moves if it gets touched! can I just leave it even if it dies? good for food for the crabs?

also a little upsetting my first bit of live stock has already died!!

Hell :(

Can you put it upright on a piece or rock?

I just put it on some live rock - lets hope it makes it

what kind of snail is it?

If its a Astrea or similiar they cant get up by themselves and will die if you dont put them upright.

Hope he makes it

Brandon

Snails do not always move and eat. Sometimes they just sit and sleep. For hours or days. More than your patience waiting for it to move. ;)

Also what snail is it? Some cannot upright themselves and they wait for the next wave to help them. Which is not coming in your tank. So they wait and wait until they starve to death. Bloody stupid things, but that is how nature made them.

When your tank starts developing an algae film against the glass I can give you some local Nerita snail. Nice and extremely reef safe. Just PM me if interested.

Sorry about the bad quality - Cell Phones!!! any case I put him right side up on the rock

4704b4191a15a9d4.jpg

I know :( I will redo it with my proper camera tonight!! the Iphone camera really sucks!!

the question is if I leave him there & he is dead thats okay yes? food for the hermits?

I know :( I will redo it with my proper camera tonight!! the Iphone camera really sucks!!

the question is if I leave him there & he is dead thats okay yes? food for the hermits?

Leave it and see what happens.

Is that snail's shell white ? Looks almost like dead coralline ? If it is did you get the snail like that ?

Either way the dead coralline would indicate that this creature has had some hectic water parameter changes or it has been out of water for a prolonged period.

the snail shell is white both of the snails shells are white!

I got it like that? I will leave it & give feed back over the next few days

This is going to sound stupid - but it looks like a snail - it's not white white - but white...

hell if that makes any sense what so ever?

so the snail did die! he was being eaten by the crabs - oh well.

But thanks to RiaanP i now have a few more in the tank & they all doing just fine :)

Back
Top Bottom