Nitrate & Phosphate help needed

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Zandy, 20 Oct 2012.

1. Zandy

Zandy

Ok so here was my parameters after testing.
    Temp - 25.4
    Salinity - 1.022
    Ph - 8.5
    Calcium - 480
    Amonia - 0
    Nitrate - 0
    Nitrate03 - 50
    Phosphate - 5.0
    KH - 10DKH

Ok so i know that my nitrate03 and phosphate is too high. I have now put those "pads" in in order to try and reduce it.
    Any other advise of what would be usefull?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Marine007

Marine007

I use Phosguard in my Boyu's. It will probably help with the phosphate. Special Blend should help with the nitrate.

Do you have fish in the tank, or still cycling?

4. Carcharias

Carcharias

Biocubes will sort it out.

5. roderigo

roderigo

:nono::nono:
    tell us more about your tank how long its running for filtration ,and live stock ,and maintains

6. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I had a look at your photos in your album. I see you have got a Boyu. looks like a tl550. To start off with,I will move the powerhead down a little so you can create a bit more flow in your tank. If you turn your spray bar towards the surface it will do the job that your powerhead is doing at the moment for you and you will have more flow in your tank. My guess is that you have a lot of detritus settlement. That will create high nitrates and phosphates. What have you still got in your rear chambers. If its standard,how often do you rinse that spunge? If you can tell us what you have in the rear chambers,your livestock and how often you feed and do waterchanges it will help. One last thing,you have got a bubble tip nennie in your tank,a nennie needs stable and good water parameters. Ask someone to keep it for you or maybe try sell it. You can also add some chemical filtration like purigen,phosguard. That combo has worked great for me :)

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Why not, you can use bio cubes from the begining?

8. roderigo

roderigo

I'm sure that it could help but that is just a quick fix and there might be something wrong with his set up that we could help him with that might cause major issues down the line
    I don't think that is the write approach at this point we need to know why its so high to begin with

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

10. roderigo

roderigo

Then I would say bio cubs is the way to go but until we know I can't say anything lol

11. Zandy

Zandy Thread Starter

Hi guys, ok...i am a SHE ...lol...now with that out the way. I have the standard Boyo TL550 tank, have upgraded some led lights but all seem to have been fine. I however the normal filtration system which also contains the phosphate sponge and those i clean out weekly. I do 25% water changes every two weeks. I have recently added a seastar (the sand sifting one) and perhaps with him moving around he is now stirring up the phosphate which never happened before...the substrate at the bottom of the tank is ugly and i can clearrly see that it's a trap for debris.We are cycling our secondhand red sea 130 tank at the moment with about 15kg of live rock in there.Those water parameters are all 100%. Also added some of that liquid bacteria to just give it a kick start. So at some point i would ideally like to change the substrate from the Boyo tank to also some caribbean sea ones like i have in the red sea instead of that crushed coral. But have to let things settle for now. The nennie is happy now again although it has moved. But all looks well in the tank for now.

12. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

It sounds like you must be feeing waaaay too much. You could do a 90% water change and cut down the feeding and then watch carefully what happens to your tanks conditions.

With a little tank like this where overfeeding is often a problem and a decent skimmer is often hard to attach, I often recomend a 50% wc every two weeks.

But watch the feeding!!:p

Recent Posts