Newbie From Canada - but not new!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I am from Ontario Canada...right now there is snow outside my window falling lightly... :)

However inside, I have a 280 gallon 8ft starfire full blown reef....
I love the hobby..have been in reef since 1989 but have been in aquariums
since 1975. Reef aquariums are the height of it for me for sure... They are
just gorgeous and represent the ocean which I love so much! I am sure I used
to be a sailor in my last life because I love boating too! I am irish! lololol

Here is a video of my reef...it has gone through some changes for sure and continues to evolve...this video is over a year old...so the sps in my tank have
multiplied including a red monti cap that grew from about 2 inch to about 15 inch
diameter and several levels which is not in the video....

IN any case this will give you an idea of my reef at it's worst! lololo (its better now!)

I am anxious to try bio cubes because I have extremely high bio load in my tank.

Enjoy!

Talk to you soon I hope!
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to MASA. Tank looks wonderful and love those tangs.

It is close to midnight here in SA but i am sure some of the bio cube late night owls will give plenty of input and advice.

great to have you join our community.

the anenome gone..had to sell him

That Magnifica anenome outgrew the 280 gallon! lolol he was about 1 1/2 feet in diameter when I sold him..hated to see him go..he was gorrrrgeous!

I am looking into bio cubes today...interesting..they are NOTTTT like bio beads
contrary to many people's beliefs!

I am liking the fact I dont have to TUMBLE the darn things!!!!! lololol

I am getting a bit confused because one guy has a video showing they did
bugger all for him...so...jury still a bit out for me but I am leaning towards
them as a friend of mine would not be using them if they did not work.

thanks everyone

Tim

9 tangs

I have 9 tangs and a trigger for bio load plus all the small fish lololol

blue tang
powder blue tang
sohal tang
horseshoe tang
clown tang
blonde naso
regular naso
2 yellow tang

enough bio load? Bio Cubes baby! cant wait to try them

I feed the above fish extremely well and often...

I need these Cubes!

I am hoping to be able to cut back a bit on water changes...and keep
levels fairly low.

Despite above ...my sps are growing like weeds as I use a few tricks for PO4
that I am anxious to do away with

Thks

Tim

Hello and Welcome

Nice tank.

The bio cubes take about 2 weeks to be active. Just follow the instructions and do soak them first.

welcome!

@sohal tang . Welcome to our forum. Really a nice looking tank, Love what the flow is doing to the lps corals...
Regarding the cubes, I would recommend you start with 3ml. What is your current NO3 and PO4 levels?

Welcome to masa, its great to have others with white powder falling on this forum! :)

what a delightful tank:) how do you produce flow like that, love the randomness of it and its obviously fairly strong in parts, good job.

i love the tang selection too, but of all of them that fat powder blue looks like the pic of the fish for me, although that clown pair is stunning too:)

ive also been sitting on the fence a little with regards to the cubes (which seeing as we use so much barbed wire in SA is starting to get sore!!!!!) , but recently put them in and the effect from such a small filtration (especially for biological filtration) footprint and the ease of use is astounding. If you are wondering if they work make sure you test propperly (good test kits well within expiry dates) and monitor readings rather than trying to 'read' effects in the tank. Some guys who've tried and not been that satisfied have almost always done something else thats been a contributing factor.

Thanks everyone! My bio Cubes arrive tommorow and I will be putting them in my system tommorow.
I am very excited to try them...but...I agree with all the advice I have had about going slow...so I am
only going to put 2ml per litre in for about 5 weeks and then I will increase to 3ml/litre is my plan...
I feed my fish very well so..these will be just a no brainer for me to use...Wow nice to talk to people on the other side of the big drink! lololol It is snowing outside my window right now but it is not a snow storm...just falling gently on a gorgeous winter day with fresh air and picturesque forest behind
our home...but..still...can't wait till summer! lololol
Thanks again for all your warm welcomes!
Tim

MASA as in BIG MOMBASSA??? lololoolol remember years ago there were hang on skimmers
called BIG MOMBASSA! MAN THEY WERE JUNK! lololo you had to buy 3 to get one that didnt leak! lololol

Thanks everyone!

Tim

Thanks everyone! My bio Cubes arrive tommorow and I will be putting them in my system tommorow.
I am very excited to try them...but...I agree with all the advice I have had about going slow...so I am
only going to put 2ml per litre in for about 5 weeks and then I will increase to 3ml/litre is my plan...
I feed my fish very well so..these will be just a no brainer for me to use...Wow nice to talk to people on the other side of the big drink! lololol It is snowing outside my window right now but it is not a snow storm...just falling gently on a gorgeous winter day with fresh air and picturesque forest behind
our home...but..still...can't wait till summer! lololol
Thanks again for all your warm welcomes!
Tim
sounds delightful, my house is in my avatre pic, share yours.....oh and a small warning....masa members use up all our pacients on our salt water tanks, so waiting for others to post updated pics of their tanks isnt a strong point with us. POST pics or face the consequences....especially an updated FTS and a pic of that blocked overflow with cubes in it:)

Yes I actually am not putting them in until Saturday at this point as I did not pick them up today at the post office...will snag them tommorow and soak them for 24 hours and put them in on Saturday...
Definitely I will soak them for 24 hours in RO..thanks. :)

Tim

Back
Top Bottom