My not-so-pico Reef

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by SApicoreef, 26 Jul 2014.

1. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

So for my 1,000th post I thought I would start my new build thread, SOOO here it goes!

Being inspired by many wide, shallow tanks like @carlosdeandrade and @dallasg ’s tank to name two that stand out in my mind, my new main tank will be a 1200x900x500 rimless star fire tank. Unfortunately during the transportation of this tank the front panel was cracked and will be repaired as soon as my house is finished being renovated.

The second display, one of the frag tanks, is a 800x800x650 cube. These two tanks will share a common sump in a separate room designated for everything aquarium! I’m considering making this a purely anemone + clown tank. Quite keen on collecting as many variants of bubble-tips as possible. The second frag tank doesn’t know what it wants to house yet…

Skimmer is a Reef Octopus XP5000 cone internal skimmer, looking at adding the new DC pumps onto this but that will happen down the road…

Return will be a sicce 4000l for each displays, but looking at a DC12000 for the entire system.`

Top up will be my Tunze Osomolator from my old cube.

Heating is 2 300w heater on the Tunze temp controller.

Will be running biocubes on the system with their new reactors that will hopefully be coming out soon. Think I will run 2 litres of the normal and 1 litre of the titanium but will see what new products @KillerWhale releases.

Flow is 2xTunze 6095 and 1x6105 for now and will probably end up adding another 6105 once things start to grow in. These pumps will be on a 7096 controller. For the Frag tanks I will probably end up using the new Jeabo RW series as soon as the sponsors start bringing them in.

Lighting has been quite a toughie for this tank, considering the width and the coral I want to keep. I ended up going T5, with a 8x39w ATI dimmable unit. I will probably end up retrofitting another 4 t5's on either side but I will just check at the spread the the light has when everything is filled and running.

Otherwise there aren't many pics but will post as the tank is setup and running

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    carlosdeandrade likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Sounds like an awesome build! Very similar size to my previous tank ,1.2x800x500 rimless starfire with 10 x 54w t5's. Going to be following this closely. :)

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Can't wait to see some pictures. I think you will be very happy with the flow you get out of the 3 pumps. But it's always nice having that 4th pump

Last edited: 28 Jul 2014
  5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

sounds like its going to be awesome...
    great size tank

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

7. SApicoreef

SApicoreef Thread Starter

unfortunately I'm going to put the tank up for sale soon... hasn't even been setup yet so everything is ready to go.

please pm me if you're interested in any of the equipment/tanks

Thanks

Recent Posts