issues with DC uplift pumps

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by 4age, 30 May 2014.

1. 4age

4age

Hi guys

im busy doing some research on pumps for return and to run one or two reactors...anyone running dc pumps long term? how have you found them in terms of power consumption, noise levels and reliability? im considering getting a 6000lph return to also feed np pellet reactor

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Had mine for about nine months and had no issues.

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

No long term use for me just yet, only a few weeks. But here is my opinion of one so far. I am running the Jeboa 12000LPH through 2 return which is 32mm. Piping is relatively simple with 1 T piece and 3 90 bends in total. Inlet height is 1.6m. So if you take the general consensus of adding 1ft per 90 degree bend to head height I have total head height of 2.8m.

According to the graph below I should be getting around 5500- 6000LPH of actual flow and I think it is very close to that.
    [​IMG]

Power consumption is very low in my opinion for what this pump delivers. At it lowest setting I still get flow into the tank and it only consumes 28Watts. At full tilt it goes up to 100Watts. Remember that this includes the power supply so their claim of 85W is believable if you take the power supply usage out of the equation.

Noise is also not bad. It is not dead silent as others claim. Currently it is in a plastic tub which I am using as a temporary sump so the noise level could potentially be worse because of this. It has a hum / whine to it and loudness can be compared to a normal PC fan (not the expensive silent ones) running full blast. I currently don't have a cabinet around the tank so I am sure it will be almost dead silent once a cabinet is put into place.

The noise level of course drops as you drop the power levels.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

im looking at getting 2 x dc6000, 1 for closed loop and 1 for return.. hey definatley seem to be the answer regarding good delivery for wattage used..

6. Aurora

Aurora

Have been running one for couple of month now, and runs like a dream. low noise great power consumption.

Very happy all round.

7. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Of the numerous units we have sold we have been getting extremely good feedback from our customers.
    The TOA have slowly stated deploying them on their systems and are very happy with them.

The DC10000 consumes 80W at full throttle, efficient indeed.

To date we only had a single returned unit.

8. Blue Reefer

Blue Reefer MASA Contributor

Been running mine for a year now also running a reactor off it with no issues absolutely silent.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I like mine
    And I do use the feed mode. Get a lot less settlement in the sump if you do use that function. Just shows you how much food gets wasted.

Had a power supply pack up on me. But it was replaced under warranty. Just one more thing that can go wrong.

Power consumption is good. Actually better than physically similar size pumps. These pumps are smaller than the same rating AC pumps.

Just note that they do not like back pressure. It's a "feature", if you restrict the outlet they consume less power. So they will be OK for using on a NP-pellet reactor with a resticting ball valve to set the flow as well as the settings on the controller.

10. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Sold equal amounts of the DC pumps and a similer pump of a competitor brand and only had 1 power supply been missing out the box ( Riaan must have got that one :p.
    The other brand has had 3 motor block replacements sent as warren-tee repairs in the last 2 months.

I like the DC pumps.
    D

11. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

Been using DC pumps for the last couple of months @Perky pets and @Andre@ReefAquatics, awesome little beasts. Perfect for reactor feeding as you can just turn it down if it's too much flow.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Using a DC9000 for 3months now, running to 2 returns and a pellet reactor, super silent and extremely efficient IMO..

13. Verndog

Verndog

Using a DC-6000 and I'm very impressed with it... Jeboa make excellent equipment and for the price you can't go wrong.

Mine has been running for 8 months now.

14. leslie hempel

guys not to open a can of worms here but what is the updated general consensious regarding these pumps?

i see there are 4 on the market

waveline
    diablo
    jeboa
    red devil

which are the better ones if any difference at all?

can someone compare cost vs capacity delivere for us?

15. JS

JS

They look the same apart from color...probably made in same factory...havnt heard anything bad of any of them...

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

AFAIK the Waveline and the Jeboa is manufactured in the same factory.

Power consumption is excellent, compared to other similar in delivery AC pumps.
    I like the feed mode option on the pumps. Wish the feed mode had an extra port out to stop and start the skimmer pump, in setups where the skimmer flood if return is switched off.

17. 459b

Mine packed up after just over a year

18. Verndog

Verndog

For that capability you should look at aquarium controllers. Most of them can do that relatively easily.

19. leslie hempel

Ive heard reports of waveline packing up prematurely.. hence my quiery

20. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

A Happy customer :)

Guys - I upgraded my pump from a Sicce psk model to one of the DC3000s skimmer pumps. Not only is it dead silent, and by silent I mean, NO NOISE at all, it skims so much more than the sicce. It took me 5 min to mod the Aquaria skimmer to fit the pump and it works so well. Another great thing is the fact I can switch my pump off with the touch of a button , when I dose bacteria, food etc and itll just switch back on after a few min. Thanks Andre( Reef Junky SA )for the great service and excellent pump. BTW - I also upgraded my Tunze silent return pump to the DC3000 return pump and you cant hear the pump, it works great and is excellent value for money. Sometimes I have to check my tank to make sure the pumps are actually running. I am also saving big time on electricity now all my pumps are DC pumps. So I can highly recommend these pumps. !!

21. 459b

I've lost two dc pumps. Recent jeboa was outside warranty so there's nothing I can do about it. Diablo pump got replaced

Recent Posts