Huge Disappointment

Would like to have been there this year, sad to hear some were disappointed this year. Remember guys sometimes its the people that go that end up making the show a success or not. One definately can't have expectations for the exhibitors to carry livestock. Here we all are in a hobby trying to minimize as much stress as possible to our livestock, and now we want to treat them like cattle carting them backwards and forwards, come on guys, think about it.
I enjoyed last years one, found it very informative. Would be interested to know how many people attended this year compared to last. Don't know if thats a possible stat to give ?

Last edited:
About 80-90 people came to me for nametags between MASA/TASA, but there were plenty that didn't come for nametags also.

Just my dumb 2c
What really disappointed me was the stands that said they would be there and then weren't
Last year TSR was there with awesome tanks, this year I was hoping to have the same (his name was on the net) as I went to the show expecting to buy a tank at a good show price.
Then it has taken me a while to warm up to the Bio Cubes but I finally decide I am going to give them A try, I look at the internet and what you Know Orca is going to be there, a good chance to meet the creator and buy some cubes from him, what you know he was not there like he said. So for that reason alone I will not buy the cubes as it seems like mission impossible to get me hands on them.
I doubt very much that this was the organisers fault, so to the organisers I say well done on the hard work and trying really hard, to the people who let the organisers down I say shame on you!

HI @Reefhead ... there are lfs in the westrand that stock the cubes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Only from this year expo's have been/are merging reptiles and "fish" ... which has also been a risk for both organiser and exhibitor ... an all time reptile expo could now have just 3 "fish tank" exhibitors ana the fish geeks could find it a disappointing expo,but the reptile guys wont stop ranting and raving... i know as ive done a good few of them... just like everything else we do ,we are still "young" with alot of things compared to overseas and most of it for now will be trial and error... ok,then price.... with some expo,the organisers make money just off the stands and the guys they piggy back gets the entrance fees...other expo give good rates on stands as it is only them organising and they make money off the door...so yeah there aint no set way or soloution besides trial and error ... and each situation is different...might sound easy to say rather do this rather do that..but in reality only the guys organising know it aint so easy....

But perhaps not a bad idea to combine reptile, fish, cat and dog into one big expo...
That way all pet lovers can gather under one roof and walk around to see everything that is there.

I personally don't like the idea of combining fish with a home expo as I'm not interested in buying anything at the home expo. (have enough persian carpets...)

My wife's sister and her mom breed with maine coon cats and always exhibit at the expo and they get loads of cross sales from reptile guys and visa versa.

I think that making the fish expo part of a general theme would serve a greater purpose than trying to add it as an ad-hoc to a home expo.

@Quintin yeah thats gonna happen in october at the dome..well,thats the plan...to combine all..

HI @Reefhead ... there are lfs in the westrand that stock the cubes...
Tell me via PM please
everyone says Jungle Aquatics, great but that's not really near me and my point is also that if I can only find one shop near me and he decides not to stock anymore then its not really a viable option as I will be stuck with a filtration system I can not upgrade or keep up.

@Quintin yeah thats gonna happen in october at the dome..well,thats the plan...to combine all..

Cool.
Will def go to that and come and look at your stand. :thumbup:
So we having another fish section there as well in October?

Tell me via PM please
everyone says Jungle Aquatics, great but that's not really near me and my point is also that if I can only find one shop near me and he decides not to stock anymore then its not really a viable option as I will be stuck with a filtration system I can not upgrade or keep up.
cool,will do...then atleast you get your hands on some and see how good it is ;)

Cool.
Will def go to that and come and look at your stand. :thumbup:
So we having another fish section there as well in October?
im doing one in september... maaaaaaybe mainly some reptile/spider stuff but lets see...october yeah they planning on having a few fishy stands...

Tell me via PM please
i will PM you shortly

You know I am so over the negativity, really peeps, if you have nothing good to say then don't. There was alot of effort put in to this expo. Yes some were not there, do you know the reasons. Don't judge before knowing the facts.

Just my dumb 2c
What really disappointed me was the stands that said they would be there and then weren't
Last year TSR was there with awesome tanks, this year I was hoping to have the same (his name was on the net) as I went to the show expecting to buy a tank at a good show price.
Then it has taken me a while to warm up to the Bio Cubes but I finally decide I am going to give them A try, I look at the internet and what you Know Orca is going to be there, a good chance to meet the creator and buy some cubes from him, what you know he was not there like he said. So for that reason alone I will not buy the cubes as it seems like mission impossible to get me hands on them.
I doubt very much that this was the organisers fault, so to the organisers I say well done on the hard work and trying really hard, to the people who let the organisers down I say shame on you!

You know I am so over the negativity, really peeps, if you have nothing good to say then don't. There was alot of effort put in to this expo. Yes some were not there, do you know the reasons. Don't judge before knowing the facts.
I presume you talking about me so I will answer
Like I said in my post, CONGRATS TO THE ORGANISERS FOR THE HARD WORK.
Now I don't know why the people I wanted to see there weren't there but the fact remains I was disappointed they weren't.
I have been waiting say a month now to go to the show to A. buy a new tank and B. buy some cubes for that tank and existing tanks. So its not negative its the truth maybe I am just the unlucky one in the sense that both reasons I went for weren't there but the truth remains personally I was disappointed.
At the same time having said all that I made it quite clear that I take nothing away from the hard work put in by the organisers.

I presume you talking about me so I will answer
Like I said in my post, CONGRATS TO THE ORGANISERS FOR THE HARD WORK.
Now I don't know why the people I wanted to see there weren't there but the fact remains I was disappointed they weren't.
I have been waiting say a month now to go to the show to A. buy a new tank and B. buy some cubes for that tank and existing tanks. So its not negative its the truth maybe I am just the unlucky one in the sense that both reasons I went for weren't there but the truth remains personally I was disappointed.
At the same time having said all that I made it quite clear that I take nothing away from the hard work put in by the organisers.

no it was aimed generally :)

but i would like more reefers involved to share, arent you a chemist or chemical engineer?? wouldnt you like to have a talk or share info at the next? hey i will even sponsor a DIY stand for those reefers wanting to show

At the same time having said all that I made it quite clear that I take nothing away from the hard work put in by the organisers
Thank you for the support.

I was disappointed they weren't.
This is what we want to know. What would you like to see in the future.
Ask they guys who where not at the expo why they didnt come and tell them how dissapointed you are that you didnt see them there. get them to contact us for the next one :thumbup:

For those that are disappointed about the show i have the following to tell you:

Setting up a stand at the expo to sell fresh water or marine livestock is very difficult and we do not have allot of time doing this.
Buying livestock from a expo is going to be a very risky thing for you as client as those fish will be under allot of stress and our filters wont be able to run a massive bio loads due to the short time we have to set up the expo.( the tanks are only there for 3 days...think about that). We do not want to put livestock at risk just for a show.

Rather come to our shop or the other gusy shops to get fish.

The show is about showing the hobbyist new products and technology, getting new guys in the hobby. The more hobbyists we have in the hobby...the more products will come to S.A and the cheaper the stuff will become.

IF the guys would have sold fish to the public and the fish died before you got home or perhaps later that day in your tank...then the show would have been a big disappointment too in the public eye....(because why would we sell fish to you that are stressed up and was placed in a system that the bacteria maybe died of in transport ect ect)

Another thing that you can ask yourself...why did only a few guys exhibit at the show:
- perhaps due to the criticism from last year
- floor space might have been more expensive
- only the guys that would like to grow the markert wanted to go
- ect ect

Back
Top Bottom