Huge Disappointment

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by Dre, 4 Aug 2013.

1. Dre

Dre

Went to the Expo this morning and what a disappointment. I really never expected that little. I expected a wide range of livestock and equipment. Also some rare items and specials but nothing. Won't be attending this again. Sorry but I had to be honest.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Thank you for your input, our apologies that it didn't satisfy you. Did you listen to any of the talks?

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

This also is an expo, not a livestock bazaar, while we all want livestock none of sponsors or lfs brough stock, that however is up to us to ask our fav petshop why they weren't there

But since this is the second one we can only improve

5. yster

yster

The expo was a disappointment for me, especially if you had to drive 100s of km to get there. No need for a livestock bazaar but it would be nice to see some more variety of equipment etc that's available and things that's still to come, isn't that what a expo is for? As for the talks, well maybe its just me but I couldn't find any time of some indication as to when who's going to speak? Was there early Friday morning as we were really exited, spend maybe 45 min there and did not see the use of waiting for a talk when that could be the afternoon or even Saturday. But then again that's just me. Did see some good looking tanks on display though!:p

6. Mc

Mc

I also thought it went backward a bit since last year, it was definitely smaller.
    Still enjoyed it.

7. dallasg

When everyone says more equipment etc, we import, if there are no new lines how do they get them? What we have learnt is that we need to have the expo at the same time as the overseas companies release their new lines, so next year we can take that into account

8. Mc

Mc

The stands that were there were nice, but what happened to all the other petshops and guys
    in the business.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2013
  9. dallasg

Good question, they chose not to participate

10. ScottK

ScottK

I visited today and must say that the stands that were there were an improvement on last years, there was a lot more on display and a lot of things in action instead of being in a box. I was a little disappointed at the size, even the home expo was substantially smaller than last year.

I managed to catch the end of @dallasg speech, unfortunately I couldn't sit down as my 3 year old was more interested in the snakes and spiders :D There was a decent crowd sitting listening so it's good to see there is interest from people wanting to learn more about the hobby.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Goby

Goby

Sad to say, but the expo was indeed an epic fail. I was very disappointed. To be honest i wasn't expecting a lot, but goodness it was a lot worse than last year. But i still went to support the cause, because that is what we need to do to keep it alive.

@dallasg, this is not a personal attack, but why would you always mention it is not a livestock bazaar. Maybe it is just what we need to get the people there. What would be better than to walk into a expo where we can expect shallow tanks full of coral and fish. I think that the sponsors will benefit greatly from this, at least they can try and make some money to cover the expo expenses.

The way i see it. We aren't the US of A. We don't have the guys to put out all the best equipment in the market on display. All of the big shots distributors are there. They can put the hardware on the floor and run them in systems ect. Our guys can't do that unless they get promotional goods from the big shots.

What is it going to help to do the expo the same time overseas companies launch their new lines. You should know that we always get new lines like months after they are released. And the next question, who is going to bring in those lines?

Well done for all the sponsors that decided to setup a booth. We appreciate all your efforts to try and make the expo a success.

just my 7c :p

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. VicZA

VicZA

I drove almost 400ks to get there (and another 400 back, that same day) and while it would have been nice to see more stuff, I think the days of people getting the "world exclusive" and "only here today" at these kind of shows are done and dusted. I wasn't dissapointed because (to me) it was all new. I saw a few things, chatted to a few people (good to meet Dallas) and then went to Wild on Pets, Idol and Jungle Aquatics before heading home ... oh, and also before the expo helped a friend collect his tank at TSR (nice to meet Nathan) and picked up my "missing" 900 Illumilux for cheap-cheap :thumbup: ... so all-in-all a good day ... out the door by 6:00am, back home (boring the wife with fish stories :lol:) by 7:00pm !!

13. VicZA

VicZA

... oh ... and even if you all think the show was "crappy" or "dissapointing" it still takes lots of people's hard work and their best efforts to ensure that there was something to see ... so thamks everyone that did make the effort ! Our company is also preparing to put up their own show later this month (at the same venue as it turns out) and it's a helluva job ... (I am sure some people will be disappointed with our efforts :p) ... that's life !

14. Goby

Goby

Well i believe its all about the cost involved, Chatted to a few peeps and from what i have heard i can tell you that those stand don't come cheap. In fact its kinda ridiculous to be honest. So i understand why sponsors are not prepared to spend that kind of money.

Forget about Emperors, get a new venue, make it affordable to sponsors and i can guarantee you we can expect something huge.

15. Goby

Goby

please, do you want us to lie and say yo the expo was great. no point in doing that. How do you expect improvement? We all know that such an event is a lot of work, and it takes hard work and many man hours, but that is business. i am proud of the guys that took the time to support the event. It's not their fault that it was disappointing.

16. Quintin

Quintin

Coca-Cola Dome by Northgate for the next one... :thumbup:

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

That is a post that made my day. You made the best of it. For me, it was mostly to meet fellow reefers, hear some great talks. Glad you had a good time.

18. VicZA

VicZA

I tend to agree with this statement ... must be big overheads to cover. In the same breath I wonder how many people that were coming to the home expo now stumbled across the Aquarium Expo and may just have a new hobby in mind :whistling:

I think that an exclusive "fish-keeping" show only may also prove to be a waste of time for sponsors as the majority of the serious reefers would probably have the "ag, I can get that at my LFS" attitude. I am a serious photographer and when I lived in Joburg and the Camera Expo was on at The Dome ... not one of the other serious guys that I know EVER bought anything at that show ... but there was cool stuff to see.

So maybe a "WOW" type of show ?? ... forget about the cool, cheap deals or the "world exclusives" .... inspirational talks? impressive tanks? what's coming technology? .... hey maybe even a dude doing some DIY demo's ... very "american style" :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: (I see chainsaws and angle grinders and wood shavings everywhere .... hahahaha :yeahdude::biggrin::eek:)

Sorry .... I too don't know the winning formula ... just adding my thoughts.

19. dallasg

Like I said this is the second expo and all these points will be used for the next, but even if it was R50 a stand would all the sponsors come? Well as mentioned by them it would take them away from their shops etc etc, so we as hobbyists need to get them there.

This expo is put together by hobbyists who give time to keep costs down so that stands are cheaper, maybe a new venue is needed and many other things will be changed.

So my suggestion is all those that think it could be better and have time and services to offer step up next year and offer, I hope to see you all adding to make it better...

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

There to the right of the talks area, at that table where you could get name tags if you wish, was 2 papers up with the times. On the table where the TV was on, another A4 paper with the speakers and times. Also in the pillar between the Talk table and the name tag table. Thanks Hails for putting that up everyday.

As for sponsors, seems the price of the stands is rather high. Can see that on the Home Expo side as well, last year the Home Expo filled to the brim the hall. The Aquarium Expo was in the room out the back, towards smokers section. This year, the Home Expo part was a lot smaller, and some strange exhibitors. Wine seller and Roasted nuts for example. Not what I would associate with an Expo focussing on your HOME. Anyway.

Regards having livestock at the Expo. At the moment, now that show is winding down on the Sunday night, who will bring the leftover fish and corals back home? It is a lot of work, and then to acclimatize them again tonight back at the shop holding systems. It is a lot of setup and breakdown work, to be able to provide acceptable accommodations for fish for 2 days at the Expo. Carting cured water into the place is already an exercise on its own. The exhibitors only get access to the hall the day before the show. Some shops had livestock there last year, but they learned their lesson.

21. mcjie

mcjie

YEA it was a huge disapointment, was expecting all the sponsor to show off their goodies at the expo for people who have never been to their store before. but i guess the sponsors didnt join the expo due to high rent cost. maybe next time choose a cheaper venue or auction items at the expo because all the items for sale there was kinda expensive. I guess it wasnt all that bad. i got to meet some people from Masa eg (@Butcherman)... thumbs up for Aquafin and there amazing price on salt. my corals and fishes loves these salt and its much cheaper than other salts

Recent Posts