Featured System for June 2009 - Tony

Belated congrats on your achivement Tony!!! :thumbup: Nice to see your tank looking so healthy. BTW, when are we seeing that Cube of yours?

Hi Tony,
Inspiration tank man, well done.
Please can you explain or any one else how lanthanum chloride reduces phosphates?
Also how does a uv filter or potassium permangeanate reduce the DOC load in the tank?
As I said before well done great looking tank.
cheers

Well deserved - very neat and eye pleasing setup you have there Tony.

Hi Tony,
Inspiration tank man, well done.
Please can you explain or any one else how lanthanum chloride reduces phosphates?
Also how does a uv filter or potassium permangeanate reduce the DOC load in the tank?
As I said before well done great looking tank.
cheers

Thanks for the compliment

I'm not too clued on the very technical aspect but the lanthanum binds with the phosphates which is removed by the skimmer. The best way to do it is to blast your rocks, kick up your substrate and add the stuff. The water goes slightly cloudy but your skimmer works like mad for a day. Alternatively you can add the stuff if you don't have a skimmer a few hours before doing a water change. Keep an eye on your alkalinity as it tends to drop a bit. I use a quarter teaspoon on a 700-800 litre system so bigger systems more and smaller less.

As for potassium permangeanate a lot of guys find this a bit controversial but I have been using it for ages with no ill effects. One would kick the substrate up and blast the rocks and add a tiny amount depending on your system. I use the amount similar to the tiny spoons you get with the TM calcium tests and add it to my sump where it has time to mix with the water before entering the DT. PP is an oxidiser similar to ozone which will oxidise the DOC's and the skimmer will remove them and it does. I do this once a week only. My xenia sulks a bit but all my LPS's and SPS's don't seem bothered. The trick is small amounts

Congrats excellent,excellent looking tank

Congrats on an amazing system!!!!

Conrgrats!!!!Tony very very nice!

congratulations tony a truly worthy totm :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply Tony,

Pleasure

congrats tony;)

well done man...you have a very very healthy system running:thumbup:

Hey Tony, well done mate, lovely tank and good colours too.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

Thanks Tridan.

Sorry Jaco about the nano. I'm putting that on hold as we're buying a house, so my priorities have changed a bit.

Back
Top Bottom