Different Scaping Ideas

DSC06836.jpg

DSC06834.jpg

Dallas mentioned the first one's not looking like the reefs. What would you guys say one would want to achieve with scaping. Do the fish / coral prefer slopes, dropoffs, caves, arches etc etc etc? What does it look like in the ocean then?

I would want to achieve the most natural look available...

well there is all sorts in the oceans, arches caves everything. so nothings not natural. i think it must just look good, be functional and give good space for growth of corals, but i recently moved a flat rock in my tank up a bit and ended up makin a drop off sort of thing and the fish frequently park off under it so i definitly think an overhang of sorts is a must
Posted via Mobile Device

Okey, so the drop off with a ledge is good to have... i also think depending on fish species, you need to work around that ie regal tang needs plenty swimming space right? Whereas clowns stay close to home (whatever they have chosen for that purpose)

I personally like the arch look!!!

i'ff you dive on 9mile at sodwana you will see that the most fish hang around the drop off and overhangs.

yeah open space is a must with any set up imo. but i'm not really a big fan of arches. ren did a good job on that one but for a reef scene what corals will grow under the arch upside down? its like wasted space imo. but great if you want to go for a smaller sized arch where you don't lose as much space or for a fo
Posted via Mobile Device

I lay in bed last night and was pondering on a nice scaping design like an arch or something unique and beautiful. So today I check Ren's arch, it seem I'm never going to find that unique design. Dang everyone and there imaginations.
Some really awesome scaping ideas being dreamt up here though.

When scaping a tank do you lie the rock on the bottom of the tank or ontop of the sand?

Do you add sand later?

I would just like to know what this affects and also if this is maybe not good for the bottom of the tank.

Wow some nice scaping ideas on this thread. Has anyone seen SIMS tank? that must be my fav scaped tank, wish i could do something like his.

When scaping a tank do you lie the rock on the bottom of the tank or ontop of the sand?

Do you add sand later?

I would just like to know what this affects and also if this is maybe not good for the bottom of the tank.

This really only comes into play should you want to keep digging fish like Blue cheek Goby's... They dig under rockwork, and thus your whole scaping can come tumbling down (obviously not good!!!)

So if you plan to keep such fish, rather place your rockwork on the bare glass, then it cant have anything removed below it. Otherwise, top / bottom, doesn't matter... ;)

Back
Top Bottom