Urgent help needed White spots

Reaction score
ok so was having a look @ my tank now 12am...

Noticed that my Lanvender Tang has a few white spots on him....tried to catch the little bugger but he keeps hiding from me....

WHAT DO I DO????? Is there ne1 near me in Durban that can help...im in the Overport / Morningside area.....

Hi Immo, might be a case of WS, just make sure he eats well to keep immune system going and get some Microbelift Herbtana wich is reefsafe and you thus dont need to put more stress on the fish by catching it out

How many fish do you have and if he is still eating then dont stress - My regal get the occasional whitespot but eats like a pig. I would fortify the food with Immunvit and Lipovit from tropic marin - it will boost there imune system and help fight the infections. If your tank has white spot the only way to rid it is to remove all fish into a quarantine tank and leave the display without fish for 3 or more weeks. While the fish are in QT you can treat them with Cuprazine or Hypo Salinity (lower Salt level)

please google "treating white spot" im on my phone so cant type lots.

i have to disagree with the info given as i had whitespot and it killed my flame angel and almost wiped out my tank. my friend lost 8 fish in a couple days to white spot.

my advice would be setup a QT and treat all fish and quarintine all new fish before adding them to display. will save u lots of heartache in the long run.

Thanks for advise....but woke up this morning and the spots are gone....Fish is still eating well..

Thanks for advise....but woke up this morning and the spots are gone....Fish is still eating well..
Keep in mind that just because the spots are gone doesn't mean you don't have whitespot in the tank anymore. Do a Google search for "Whitespot Cycle" or similar. The white spots we see on fish are merely the cysts of a parasite that lives in the gills of the fish, and is the only way we know about the infestation. I agree keep the fish well fed - look for the red, brown and green algae that's enriched with Garlic and feed it to them daily. You have to keep the fish as well fed as possible and as little stress as possible. Make sure they've got enough hiding spots and if needed shorten your lighting cycle. Ideal would be to quarantine all the fish though.

I'm with FransSny on this one. At the first sign of white spot use the Microbelift Herbtana. Feed well and leave everyone alone. Follow the directions on the product. It usually only takes one dose for me... I dose at the first sign of the first spot on the first fish.

i still maintain treat fish in a qt with a proper ws treatment. there is no miracle cure for ws that can be done in your tank.

Hi
don't know if this helps at all but i have used myxazin before to treat w/s in situ. If i remember correctly and don't take this as gospel as it is only from memory the active ingredients are methylene blue and rose anyline. it does not effect the spot on the fish, hence that is why they are still there but is is effective at killing the free swimming stage of the parasite. it also increases the fish’s mucus production and helps with preventing reinfection as it thickens the mucus coat.
it is removed by biodegradation and oxidation, hence the instructions to stop ozone and remove carbon.
I would expect that echinoderms (starfish and urchins) would be very susceptible to the treatment as they have very delicate cardio vascular systems. Also clams don't react well to it either.
the treatment can be completely removed with carbon or polyfilter. And turn of the blue lights and increase the temp with 2 dc and if possible drop salinity slightly. Ad a cleaner wrasse to your system they do that job in the wild open waters if possible and look for any cause of stress to the fish (other fish or maybe crab harassing it). ading garlic to the system or in their food also increase the immune system. by trying to cutch the fish you end up stressing it further and that could also stress the other tank inmates and your losses could be greater.
good luck I hope this helps and he recover

Howzit immo!
Tangs are renowned For being sensitive to w/s this is because of their thinner mucous layer. In nature they do not stay in one place the swim kilometers a day and this is natures way to protect it from parasites. I suggest herbtana but dose it in the evenings. In the morning dose it with artemis as a double up. Do this for ten days I have done it and worked well. I have studied ich extensively as you will see a thread I started and it has valuable info. Also keep the skimmer off. For the period. Also if you can get the fish in a separate tank make it hypo and implement the abovementioned procedure. If you need help give me a shout. I live in durbs and can come help you!

The Herbetana is the best! My man bought a clown fish with white spot, used it and kept thetreatment going for the full 10 days and my fish have never looked better!

Prevention is better than cure. With the Herbetana you can use it as a preventative measure.

Ok...Thanks for the advise guys....

Sad :( News is that i lost the fish...Found him belly up behind some rocks...

problem i have now is that there is a major brown algea build up starting...

Great advice

The old qt tank discussion and disagreement :p Immo, QT tanks have their place but with the technology available it is not the only cure, just think about how other things have changed in our hobby...so lets keep our minds open to new things

I personally (my OPINION not law) feel that taking a fish out of a tank and putting it into another is causing unnecessary stress on an already weakened immune system, thus risking a worse infection.

I thus prefer less invasive species

Ok...Thanks for the advise guys....

Sad :( News is that i lost the fish...Found him belly up behind some rocks...

problem i have now is that there is a major brown algea build up starting...

Sorry to hear Immo, please bear in mind that the parasite is still in your system and further infection is possible.

I would still suggest dosing some herbtana in order to support the remaining fish's immune systems and thus preventing further infections. (Its also cheap so wont break the bank)

Hi Frans

I agree with you but it severe cases it is the only thing that works. To reduce the stress and boost the immune system I use the Combo of Artemis and Herbtana.

It really helps the fish !

My 2c on the improved QT concept

Sorry for the loss..If I may ask....when did you start your aquarium...(how old is the setup?)

I bought the setup already running....i have it for 2 weeks now and the previous owner had it for 2yrs.

if you look under members tank pictures, you'll find my setup there.

Did you take it with the water or did you put new ???

If you did that is very hard on the fish as the tank is still Cycling and from the sound of things it sounds like it is ? RiaanP Correct me if I am wrong ? It sounds like the algae are Diatoms and that means your tank is cycling. Cycling = Stress on livestock.

Back
Top Bottom