The Reeftek Clan

Hey guys, another question here.

I have been doing some research and I have decided that my tank is being over skimmed. I want to put the skimmer on a timer, (TS2) for about half the day. That way the corals have time to eat from the water column (my 160L shallow reef tank has basically no fish)

So the question, will the impellor or pump take damage from switching on/off daily?

Last edited:
@Andre@ReefAquatics explained it once that I understood.
Its basically not good and our skimmer will not work properly as each time it switches on it first needs to settle in. Thats why usually when I switch skimmer on at same setting the bubbles come over the top of cup for a while and then go down

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply @Dian6430

Thats why usually when I switch skimmer on at same setting the bubbles come over the top of cup for a while and then go down

This problem I do not really have. I do not skim wet as it would strip my water of too many goodies. I have done some research and some systems that run the skimmer for half a day or at night, have much better coral growth.

Basically, its the OTP2000 pump, will too much strain be put on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol awesome. Look I know it has a potential of causing stress on the pump but if its not significant amounts of strain...it may just be worth it. Lets see what tomorrow brings.
It would be interesting as im running a 2500L skimmer on a 500L tank but have quite a bit of fish

Lol you barking up the wrong tree. Thats my tanksitter, mom, favorite fish now lol she is erg about her babies

I want to put the skimmer on a timer, (TS2) for about half the day.

NO

The impeller will break eventually. Those impellers have a small plastic ridge/groove that keep the blade part running with the magnet. The plastic part is a bit loose. Each time the pump switches on the plastic ridge have to take up the impact of the magnet starting to run and the fan part standing still. Eventually it strips and the fan part will not run anymore, although the magnet is spinning away.

Do not do that.

i love my TS2 and would never change it ... just saying :blush:

my TS2 sits in 265mm deep water.

not too low.
But with my depth, I do not need those donuts. No splashing as the outlet is just above the water.

mine sits deep enough so that the outlet sticks out the water by no more than 15mm

Is there some one that can help me looking for the little thing that put air in to the pump that screw on the front of the otp 1000 as I have chance the pump from king 2 to otp 1000 pump
Please

Is there some one that can help me looking for the little thing that put air in to the pump that screw on the front of the otp 1000 as I have chance the pump from king 2 to otp 1000 pump
Please
Call idol marine, its called a venturi fitting

Back
Top Bottom