The Red Sea Skimmer Clan

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
It works but i dont think there are enough bubbles but its looks good coz the bubbles/foam was at the neck... I will check if I have any skimmate when i get home.
Skimmers can take 3 or 4 days to start producing skimmate, give it a couple of days to see what it does.

Reaction score
Ok so tested it with the 2900lph pump and it just push the water out the airtube...quiet strong...
Keep in mind that the outlet of the Berlins MUST be free-flowing - in other words, the exit water must flow downhill directly from the skimmer's outlet. Any bit of tubing going even slightly uphill, or with any restrictions (i.e. smaller diameter pipes) will create back-pressure on the skimmer, and that will force water up into the two "vent tubes"

Hennie

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, I just started my skimmer in a container full of water just to see how it works. As I am new to all of the equipment I am looking for any advice to help me make it perform at its best.
Just a stupid question, so a 1600L/H pump is to weak for this skimmer?
And if so, what pumps would you suggest?

Reaction score
As I am new to all of the equipment I am looking for any advice to help me make it perform at its best.

Well, following the advice in this thread is a good start...

so a 1600L/H pump is to weak for this skimmer?

Yes. Also, it is not just about flow, it is to a large extent also about the pressure (head) of the pump.

what pumps would you suggest?

The one it was designed to work with: Eheim 1060/1260

Expensive, but it will outlast 2-3 other pumps (my oldest one is about 13 years old, and has been working non-stop since day one...

Hennie

Reaction score
So what kind of pressure am I aiming for?

At least 3m - It's been very long since I checked the Eheim's specs, but I think they are rated somewhere between 3.0m and 4.0m. As I said previously, the Berlin skimmers were originally designed to be used with the Eheim 1060 (since replaced by the 1260), so it's bound to work well.

Whatever pump you decide to use, keep it connected very close to the pump (direct coupled would be the best), as you will lose pressure/flow through friction in the pipes.

Hennie

Reaction score
Here is the link for the manual for the Berlin XL :
http://www.marinedepot.com/Red_Sea_...ons-Red_Sea-RS1115-FIPSISVSOT-vi.html#Manuals

I run this exact one on 600L system, modded a little since i didn't have manual (only found it yesterday)...I run mine with 2800l/h pump head pressure 3m in sump

Excellent skimmer in my opinion for the price you probably won't get a more reliable one...
Goodluck, will upload pics later of mine in action.:thumbup:

Reaction score
My future system will be about 820 liters.
Thanks for the manual Landu, much appreciated.
I am sure it will help me.

Waiting for those pictures.

Henk

Reaction score
I read somewhere that these skimmers does not need a pump with a pin-wheel impeller as it already has a venturi.
Any thoughts on that?
Will it be big enough for my system?

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
The venturi systems that use pressure are a little outdated, the pin wheels produce more bubbles using less electricity so are far more effecient. Would i trust this this skimmer on a fully stocked 820L Reef tank....no, personally i think there are far more effecient skimmers out there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi I have the same skimmer set up externally to my sump. I have problems with it overskimming, I have connected a ball valve in series from the pump to restrict the flow slightly however it is very difficult to get the flow set up correctly. I dont have a pinweel but just a normal 2500 kg/hr pump and use the venturi as standard. Can anyone assist with getting this sorted?

Reaction score
Hey Petethefeet1, did you sort out that skimmer about two years ago?

Top Bottom