Substrate causing problem?

Thats if the NP actually work. Mine never did. It works for some and doesn't for others.

Hence i'm asking because ive seen people who have conflicting results with the NP Pellets.

OOooo, but then it also depends on what type of corals I had in my system. If you have mainly softies, I would go for the Phosphate removing media only.

I have the following.

Zoa's
Hammer Coral
Bubble Coral
Pincushion
Frogspawn
Mushrooms

So... what do you guys think?

To play it save keeping the corals you have in mind I would recommend ROWA Extract phos remover with a re-actor. The reason I say ROWA is because it's Iron based which does not cause the soft and LPS corals to close up.

You need a bit of nutrients for the type of corals you currently have..;)

my Pincushions died immediatly when I connected my phosphate remover. Not sure why. Maybe I did not rinse the po4 remover enough. Or whatever. Everything else in tank 100%. 2 separate pincushion died. One nice big one and the small one. Second day hermits started eating the remains.

Maybe I'm unlucky.

It was the cheaper R200 odd phospate remover. Maybe the R600 odd is better.

Anyway, still running PO4 remover. I mean, nothing else died, and its too late for the Pincushions anyway.

my Pincushions died immediatly when I connected my phosphate remover. Not sure why. Maybe I did not rinse the po4 remover enough. Or whatever. Everything else in tank 100%. 2 separate pincushion died. One nice big one and the small one. Second day hermits started eating the remains.

Maybe I'm unlucky.
Maybe the po4 remover you used was aluminium based. I have read it can cause problems with softies

To play it save keeping the corals you have in mind I would recommend ROWA Extract phos remover with a re-actor. The reason I say ROWA is because it's Iron based which does not cause the soft and LPS corals to close up.

Great i think i'm gonna do that!

Dewald will you send me a quote on the ROWA phos and reactor. Please note that i want a reactor that can do the work well and not cost me an arm and a leg. Something like Two Little Fishies Reactor etc.

Maybe I'm unlucky.

Ya and i just bought myself a stunning green tipped pincushion this weekend! Joy! Should be okay thou! :)

Maybe the po4 remover you used was aluminium based. I have read it can cause problems with softies

Hi Dewald

You said ROWA Extract Phos. Did you not mean Brightwell Extract Phos?

If you had a choice of the following which would you choose.

Rowa phos
Brightwell extraxphos
Seachem elimiphos

Thanks

heheheh sorry i got to this thread late here is my take:

I got GHA growing on a BB tank absolutly zero substrate with 3*12000Lph sun suns so nice hectic flow. I had very few fish and overfed a bit before. The GHA came with a bang i need to take some pics for u. I had Sechem seagel(mix of carbon and phos remover)and brightwells extraxx phos running passivly in the sump.

My skimmer is doing nothing because its too big for the current bioload i have.

I have GHA growing on the bottom bare glass like lawn hehheheh there goes the bare bottom idea out of the windo right?
wrong
What i did a week ago was put the Phos remover in a 2 in 1 from Marco and have all the water flowing through it. its not fluidised as the pellets are not moving but the flow through is great enough is make the algea start dying. the algea is becoming sparcer as the days are going along. and i am sure that in a few weeks it will all be gone

In my experience if u wash the Aluminium based remover properly as in i put it under a tap and open the tap full blast ensuring all the dust comes out u wont have any problems. In my old 1M tank i had softies and no issues. In this tank my xenia are doing great and i have a mushrrom thats coming to life after 6 months of being in a dark bucket.

There is no way to run a tank without phos remover and not get algae unless u are doing Huge regular WC's.

I also have a full tub of rowa but as i was having issues getting it fluidised have not used it as yet. But will add it on as well.

Try the pellets and see what it does for you but in the interim i would suggest a Phos remover

Best to use would be rowaphos but its crazy expensive and u really need a reactor to properly use it. I have it in a stocking and its just a waste of time in there.

Last edited:
Ziyaad, you got any before or after readings on N or P? Starting to get GHA and cyano after feeding frozen foods. So I think its time to get a reactor going

Nope no Tests as it was a fresh system that i had running for a few weeks and after i added the fish and fed the Frozen foods saw the explosion in GHA before that was was a little growing but it exploded once i got the lights on for 8 hours a day and feeding the fish frozen,

forgot to add i now only feeed flake as the emporer angel is eating the flakes. no frozen at all until my bioload is higher so that the skimmer can work

Thanks Ziyaad

I'm getting the 2 in 1 from Marco with the Phos and Carbon. So was just wondering which is the best to get. My tank is only 300L so i wouldnt need that much.

Would you recommend Marco's reactors?

Oh i am also using a massive skimmer. RO 100 Int - Rated for 700L

Last edited:
in my experience so far they do the job. Im sure that it would be able to fluidise Rowaphos but make sure you have a strong enough pump, the pump i have(small haleia) is too small so i could not fluidise it but its perfect for the seachem or brightwells Alumn based phos remover as it will not fluidise it and not break it, up the water just flows through.

Last edited:
in my experience so far they do the job. Im sure that it would be able to fluidise Rowaphos but make sure you have a strong enough pump, the pump i have(small haleia) is too small so i could not fluidise it but its perfect for the seachem or brightwells Alumn based phos remover as it will not fluidise it and not break it, up the water just flows through.

Awesome posted something to ask Marco what his thoughts are on a few things. Quoted you also hope you done mind.

No Problem man

Just on another note ur skimmer is not overated in that its properly sized to your tank(imo) the Octo skimmers with the OTP pumps are way overated.
The pump on the Skimmer that you have pulls about 500Lph of air and its rated at 700L.

The pump on my Xp2000 bubble blaster pulls a Minimum of 1000Lph of air and is rated at 600L

No Problem man

Just on another note ur skimmer is not overated in that its properly sized to your tank(imo) the Octo skimmers with the OTP pumps are way overated.
The pump on the Skimmer that you have pulls about 500Lph of air and its rated at 700L.

The pump on my Xp2000 bubble blaster pulls a Minimum of 1000Lph of air and is rated at 600L

I'm very happy with the skimmer. yesterday i could see some SERIOUSLY awesome skimmate coming up the neck and the skimmer kicked in for the first time in 3 days. I by mistake skimmed a little wet the first time but works nicely now.

yup they are great skimmers designed really well, its perfectly sized to your tank. I would add that if u add some enkamat(get from idol marine) it would make a big difference to ur bubble production.

BTW i had the orca 135 external(rated 900L) on my 360L tank and it was running great skimming all the time.

Hi Dewald

You said ROWA Extract Phos. Did you not mean Brightwell Extract Phos?

If you had a choice of the following which would you choose.

Rowa phos
Brightwell extraxphos
Seachem elimiphos

Thanks

I would recommend ROWA Phos. It's Iron based, so does not cause the softies to close up like Brightwell.;)

Let me know if you are interested?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom