Solutions to load shedding

You can still use your large inverter & just try find a smaller true sine inverter for your pumps only.

Will lights & heaters not work with the modified inverter?

thanks Mark

Lights on electronic ballasts should work, heaters won't be a problem and will work, however lights and heaters are probably not the most critical items to keep running.

my pumps are like 15W each max lets say it's 100W at the most for all pumps - I just need a cheap ass pure sine wave or UPS to do the job - make sure the UPS is in line. how much are power conditioners? I know Home theatre one's cost a bomb!!

my pumps are like 15W each max lets say it's 100W at the most for all pumps - I just need a cheap ass pure sine wave or UPS to do the job - make sure the UPS is in line. how much are power conditioners? I know Home theatre one's cost a bomb!!

Then I would just get a Pure sine for the pumps.

Most UPSs are Modified sine and therefore will be useless, unless you get the high end units, which are a couple thousand anyway.

Power conditioners are also out, the won't help, even UPS with AVR.

If there was a easier way, I would've done it already, only way is a Genset or a Pure sine inverter, Sorry

Just got a quote on a pure sine wave inverter. 300W - R1700. The small inverters dont have built in chargers so you need to get a charger as well.

3 Stage Charger capable of charging batteries between 80 and 200aH - R967.

102aH deep cycle battery - R1000 a pop. I need 2

Will run my 145W return pump for just over 6 hours on 2 batteries. So in future when I replace the return pump I will go for the reef octopus HY5000. Uses only 60W and would give me 15hours.

If you don't mind me asking why run the return pump??

I am going to buy a sunsun 5000Lt pump & just run that in the display & if it last 2 years on my modified UPS I will be happy they are cheap enough to replace

Vatso - you want to keep the whole biological filtration system going. A tank can survive fine, if you only have the biological filtration system running during a power outage. If your bacteria starts to die off, in either the tank or the sump, then your whole biological filtration system will, crash, which, in turn, will kill all your fish and corals......

Therefor, keeping the return pump going. During a power outage, it's not specifically about just water circulation inside the tank. It's about supplying enough oxygen in the water, and enough gas exchange, that the fish, corals, and bacteria, all stay alive.......

I am lucky enough to have a Generator that runs everything in my place - it's that time when I am not there to start the generator that worries me.

My UPS can run my tank as it has enough power 2400Watt just it's not a Pure sine wave version.

would running an air stone in both the sump & Main Tank work?

Just asking as I know lots of peeps can't afford R2K - R3K for a pure sine wave inverter.

I am lucky enough to have a Generator that runs everything in my place - it's that time when I am not there to start the generator that worries me.

My UPS can run my tank as it has enough power 2400Watt just it's not a Pure sine wave version.

would running an air stone in both the sump & Main Tank work?

Just asking as I know lots of peeps can't afford R2K - R3K for a pure sine wave inverter.

I know the worry, I lost all my fish due to power out and being away when the power went, so couldnt start the genny

Why not get a 12v bilge pump, and run that off the UPS with a switch in place to pich up when the power goes?

Just running the return is fine. This will keep the complete system oxygenated. But a bio pellet reactor could become solid if the pellets start sticking to each other.

Last edited:
But a bio pellet reactor could become solid if the pellets start sticking to each other.
I am not running bio pellets. i got ats, dbs, skimmer, and gfo running.
I was thinking of gettting the tunze 1073.05 it auto switches to a 12v battery and will get a deep cycle battery for it :)

Ok so laodshedding shedules for Ekhurhuleni areas doing the rounds.

3.5 hours at a time.

Will running my return on battery back up be enough?
3.5 hours won't be a problem. My tank has run on only the return pump for close to 12 hours on a couple of occasions with no ill affects. This will obviously also depend on the water volume/size, no of llivestock and your return pump in your setup. I must admit that my bigger corals tend to sulk a bit due to the minimal flow in the display tank so definately add one in there if you can;)

Last edited:
anyone know where i can get a pure sinewave inverter and batteries. im looking for one which will automatically kick in the moment the electricity goes out.it must also charge the batteries.
forgot to mention i need a place in jhb that sells these type of inverters and batteries

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom