SHOCKING discovery..help guys

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by 4age, 8 Nov 2013.

1. 4age

4age

ok..so I got home from work yesterday and noticed that one of my wm3 pumps had shifted. put my hand in tank to move it and as I did the controller kicked in and I shocked me in my glory...and after that the worker tells me that the power tripped twice earlier the day (face palm moment)

anyway..i put everything back on and its fine for few hours..then trips again. I assumed that it was either the wavemaker or the additional t5 unit I added over tank a month ago. I was hesitant to unplug the wavemakers coz I know the sps need the flow and would take a knock..i unplug the t5 unit and everything is ok for another few hrs until I had to feed tank

now as I was cautious, I added some water to a jar and soaked food in it, but when I poured it into tank (without putting hand or jar in water, or spilling any water), power goes off. I tried it again this morning and it happened again.

So I figure it isn't the t5 unit and plugged it in again. I unplugged the specific wavemaker that I worked with at the time I got shocked, but there are still 3 other wm3s running and 2 sun sun pumps..so far it been ok but im still worried that I might end up shocking myself Vrek. Will it help if I ground the tank?

Something tells me that its the wavemakers...are the boyu wm3 pumps problematic in that way? is there any place in cape town that I can have the pumps checked out? I don't want to spend unnecessary money on new pumps if I can find the definite source of the problem and remove it (if it is one of the wavemakers)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. KeeganP

KeeganP

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Nov 2013
  4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Easiest way to test for stray voltage...
    Get a voltage tester (you can get a cheapy if you dont have one already.)

Put one lead into the aquarium water, & push the other into the earth hole of one of your plugs & make sure it makes contact with the contact metal.

Unplug all your equipment, & slowly plug them back one at a time (remove the plug after every test)
    As soon as you detect a reading on the voltage meter, you know which one has the problem...

From personal experience, ive found the sunsun pumps to be a big culprit in stray voltage.

I once had a major stray voltage problem. (almost shocked myself vrek twice)
    Then did the test, & found my sunsun pump leaked a full 230v straight into the water. (tested in same method as described above...)

Removed both my sunsun pumps, & problem gone forever...

Only other thing ive found that shocked me was a via-aqua return pump.
    Ive since replaced almost all my pumps (return & wavemakers) with DC pumps. (Greatest invention ever!!!)

Last edited: 8 Nov 2013
  5. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

everyone should take care to avoid 'stray voltages'... the effects can be catastrophic!!
    just look at 'mistaorange's' pic!!

6. 4age

4age Thread Starter

@Visser..what does a voltage tester go for?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. KeeganP

KeeganP

Turn off everything, put your finger in the tank, then turn on equipment 1 at a time :tt2:

8. Express Reef

Express Reef

:iagree::stupid::iagree:

9. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

You can get the basic digital ones at +-R100 from any hardware stores.
    Got mine for R150, (a bit fancier with battery testing functions & resistance testing).

Good thing is, you can always use them afterwards for that DIY LED build etc. lol

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The WM pumps wires harden over time. I doubt if they are really marine proof.

They harden and then crack open on the point where they enter the pump housing. Normally you will find this after you cleaned or moved the pumps and the wire position moved. Basically cracking the wire open due to the movement.

Replace the pump. It will only get worse. And will trip power more frequently.

Also not too sure if the plastic used on the WM pumps can handle vinegar. Did you perhaps cleaned the pumps recently in a tub with some vinegar to remove all the growth? Maybe I'm wrong there. Maybe it was just the handling when I removed the pumps to clean them.

And sorry for the next bit of bad news. The other WM pumps will also do this in the near future. Sorry. But at least you do know now and can plan their replacements.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got 2 or 3 of those pumps with the wire cracked open in my garage.

Checked yours, the fault will be on the wire at the point where it enters the pump body.

12. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I would still ground your tank to be safe that way you won't get a nasty surprise

13. KeeganP

KeeganP

14. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Definitly did I just frefer to be safe... I've never had an issue with loosing LS so ja everyone to their own hey...

15. 4age

4age Thread Starter

@RiaanP..I will check it when I get home.the wife wont be happy coz I already blew my budget at the start of the month and now I need more equipment.lol

but hey..atleast im forced to keep my hands out of the tank for the day or face certain electrocution.lol

im most likely going to have to spend the cash to get the wp40..im finding it hard to believe that just one will be enough for sps in my tank...will have to see.

I called our electrician to come around later..figured he can check everything out on the tank for me.

16. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I've had that, I actually saw the wires sparking under the water :eek:, nearly soiled my pants when I saw that.

I agree with the use of a grounding probe, I use one, just add to your monthly maintenance schedule to test your water once a month with a multimeter.

17. KeeganP

KeeganP

Alrighty, I just thought the grounding thing was a big no no... :whistling:

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It's one of those Marmite things I guess, some people swear by it, some people adamantly denounce it. I've been using one for a couple of years with no negative effects whatsoever. But I do take it out now and again and test the water for current, if it's high and if it's necessary then I'll investigate and repair or replace the equipment that's causing it. But for things like stray electricity from fluorescent tubes, it's a godsend. :)

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got a grounding probe. Believe me, its better to have the tank trip the house power, than you doing it. also a lot better. Any kids in the house, or coming visiting? If yes, then ground probe is a must.

20. KeeganP

KeeganP

Aww ok I see,
    Thanks for elaborating :)

21. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

You can add a grounding probe to your system, just switch it on when you are going to work in your tank and when you are done switch it off. That way you get the best of both worlds, your safety and the safety of your tank.

Recent Posts