Shaped and unshaped ADSL

Discussion in 'Internet' started by gaboon, 11 Jan 2011.

1. gaboon

gaboon

I've upgraded my line to 4mb/s with mweb, costing me just over 1k per month. (including line from telkom). Now it will cost me an extra 1k per month to go unshaped which I will not, 1k a month is ridiculous already.

Is shaped and unshaped bandwidth blatant robbery? Are there justifiable reasons for the extra cost?

My mate in Israel pays R400 per month which includes cable tv, telephone and internet (he can download a movie in under 30 minutes)

They go after bread manufacturers for price fixing yet cellphone networks and ISP's go untouched.

I'm ranting but this irritates the hell out of me.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jhavenga

Jhavenga

I agree that we are being ripped off. But I think the Cell C offer on their 3G is a good one at the moment. But then you are limited to either 2 gig (@ 7mb/s) or 5 gig (@ 21mb/s). So it depends how much you want to use per month.

To get back to your question - I don't think the 1k or 2k per month is worth it. I wouldn't pay it. I paid R1,500.00 for the 7mb/s Cell C speedstick and 24GB for the year (2GB/month). It works out to less than R150/month.

That's my 2c worth.

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

@gaboon I have a 4mb/s line through mweb. With a few calls and some choice words I got upgraded to a 10mb/s line for free. I am paying R899/month for it (uncapped). If you change your ports you can make you line unshaped by yourself. Mweb has caught me doing this twice in 4 years. All they do is limit my speed to 512Kb/s. A quick phone call and I am back to 10Mb/s unshapped.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

That is a good deal. I'm starting to play PS3 online as well as stream movies from my computer hardrive in my office so I need uncapped unfortunately.

Manic, you've made my day. How do I go about doing this?

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

Go on speedtest.net and do a quick test and tell me the results. Some people got the 10Mb/s line for free, others had to scream at the call center a bit. About doing the other thing I'll try find the post on how to do it. If you want to stream/download movies your best bet is to use a news server. This is how I do it. With a news server it fools mweb into thinking you are downloading emails/news but it is actually movies/software so they don't shape you because emails are the only thing that never gets shaped no matter what package you are on.

7. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

I heard in areas like sunninghill, the were automatically upgraded to 10mb/s.

Heres the speed test
    3.46 Mb/s download
    0.42 Mb/s upload
    16ms ping

8. Manic

Manic Moderator

You can check here if your exchange support 10Mb/s ADSL. If it does and you are not getting over 6Mb/s on speedtest.net then phone mweb and ask them to upgrade you for free. Might take a while but eventually you will get a person at the support center that just does it without asking questions:

DSL 10Mbps Availability Checker

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

It is a bit slow tonight but I am getting this:

7.04 Mb/s Download
    0.46 Mb/s Upload
    18ms Ping

10. Manic

Manic Moderator

If I log in to my router by typing 192.168.2.1 on internet explorer it says I am synced at 9980Kb/s downstream and 640kb/s upstream.

11. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Not available yet:(, but to be honest, I'm more interested in unshaped. I'm downloading a torrent now @ 30kb/s:eek:

12. lIghty

lIghty

I agree with you Gaboon, we are getting ripped off here in SA, a friend on mine in Holland pays about R600 p/m for ADSL and TV, and has a line speed of 120Mps, yes 120Mbps! we could only dream of that here in SA.

WRT the shapped or unshapped question, well that depends on what you are doing with it? I have shaped 4mbps with Mweb, and last month (December) I done 402GB and 195GB so far for this month. Do you need any more?

3G is nice and very fast (Cell C 21Mbps) but with 2 or 5Gb cap, it's 10minutes and its finished???? waste of time if you ask me.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2011
  13. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

People were expecting so much when that undersea cable was done last year. I knew straight away that instead of making the extra bandwidth available, they'd rather market it as a better service and slowly make more available to the customer at an crazy premium.

F this. I'm going to bed.

14. lIghty

lIghty

Sent you a PM?

15. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Replied. Haven't gone to bed yet:p

16. durleo

durleo

i have the cell C 21mbps speed stick and it only get up to 6mbps for short periods - Is it dependant on the websites and the speed of their servers?

17. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

i have the 5GB cell c pre paid thingy, the 'new network' will only start working early feb. (soonest, will most likely be a longer wait) so it is currently connecting via EDGE, that = 60kbps. It is torture coming from a 5mb unshaped line. My n8 connecting to mtn 3.5g is awesome though.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2011
  18. lIghty

lIghty

5Mb line?

19. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

the previous service provider i used, not cell c
    Posted via Mobile Device

20. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Got any more details? :whistling:

21. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I have the CellC 5gb thing. Very happy with it. I don't need to download movies/series at home and 5gb is fine for browsing, software updates, youtube and usually have abt 1.5gb left at the end of the month and I don't know what to do with it.
    My work has a direct connection into IS (same building) so basically "copy" stuff off the news servers more than download so no need for lots of gigs at home.

[​IMG]

I just noticed the JHB speedtest server is hosted by cellc, so clearly they have the bandwidth for it too :p

Recent Posts