Seahorse tank

Hi Andre
When we were trying to raise the peppermint shrimp larvae, we used decapsulated bbs, we had no problems with hydroids. I also remember reading about peppermint shrimp larvae eating hydroids from somewhere on the internet with reference to a co-culture growout of peppermints and either scarlet cleaners or blood shrimp and I think also peppermints and fish larvae. Unfortunately I cannot remember where, but likely on MOFIB although it could have been in a paper somewhere. I remember it being an advantage because of the elimination of hydroids, which had been a problem prior to the addition of the peppermint larvae. The shrimp co-cultures did not prove to be completely successful as cannibalism became a problem with the shrimp co-cultures, but not with the shrimp/fish combo if I remember right.
From reading through seahorse.org I think the main problem Timinnl had was the peppermints eating mysids too efficiently. So true they ate all of the mysis. I didn't have a problem with them in with the dwarf or the fry. But I removed them because I rather have the mysis in with the dwarf. The H. rubra (Red Lava Shrimp) or the Thor amboinensis (Sexy shrimp) are better suited in a dwarf tank. ***Remember my level of risk might not be the same as your level of risk.***

I also think the main problem he may have had with the divided tank was the seahorses going over the divider, which could be resolved with some design changes and flow control, which would be easy to set up in a two tank off one pump in a sump system. The advantage for me of the divided system is I could easily collect egg laden shrimp (for you also when needed) and put them in the separated section to allow the shrimps larvae to feed the dwarfs. My problem was that I didn't glue it correctly and I would find some of the dwarfs on the other side. But this was years ago.

I am looking for direct links to his referred Calfo seahorse system. Do you have it? I will take pic one of these days. The tank was 110liter divided lengthwise with a piece of glass. My mistake was that I had the flow going from the front into the back. There was enough (lift) to draw the dwarf over. When the power is off, both size have the same amount of water level to the divider. When the pump is on, the water level in the front rises enough to overflow into the back part. The water level in the back drop about 1/2 an inch.

Last edited:
Hi Tim

I will try and get the species names of the mysids I tried, I have tried three types.

The amphipods may be a problem with dwarf's, I have had them with Knysna seahorses (H. capensis), common pipefish and Belly barred pipefish with no problems, including seahorse fry. Some of the fry growing in the tank with the adults and amphipods, but if there is the risk with the dwarf's it will not be worth it. These were all at work and not at home (before others start flaming me). I doubt if separation with a mesh would suffice as separation as they would likely climb over if they could not climb through.

The not having success with mysids is why I think the Peppermints would be a good idea, along with other shrimps, I am not sure how available the Sexy shrimp and Red Lava shrimp are in SA, but from looking through a lot of stuff on the forums I do not think they breed as readily. I would want the fry as supplemental food. Has anyone tried harlequin shrimp with dwarfs, frequent water changes would be necessary anyway if providing pincushion stars is an issue, a big plus is pincushion stars are excellent as a clean up crew and reproduce readily when plenty of food is available.

Hi Steve,

I will try and get the species names of the mysids I tried, I have tried three types. How did you try to raise them?

The amphipods may be a problem with dwarf's, I have had them with Knysna seahorses (H. capensis), common pipefish and Belly barred pipefish with no problems, including seahorse fry. Some of the fry growing in the tank with the adults and amphipods, but if there is the risk with the dwarf's it will not be worth it. These were all at work and not at home (before others start flaming me). I doubt if separation with a mesh would suffice as separation as they would likely climb over if they could not climb through. For your larger seahorses they are a great treat. But in a H. zosterae they might go after the fry. In my case I suffered losses due to having them in my tank.

The not having success with mysids is why I think the Peppermints would be a good idea, along with other shrimps, I am not sure how available the Sexy shrimp and Red Lava shrimp are in SA, but from looking through a lot of stuff on the forums I do not think they breed as readily. I would want the fry as supplemental food. Has anyone tried harlequin shrimp with dwarfs, frequent water changes would be necessary anyway if providing pincushion stars is an issue, a big plus is pincushion stars are excellent as a clean up crew and reproduce readily when plenty of food is available. The Red Lava & Sexy shrimp I use as part of my CUC. Peppermint, cleaner and/or ghost shrimp are good choices for breeding purposes. But like you said, it is more as a supplement than their main diet.

Can you get hold of A. tonsa or Monia salina there? These copepods are very easy to raise & depending on the tank size; will provide you with 1 up to 7 feedings per week.

Tim

Hi Steve,

I will try and get the species names of the mysids I tried, I have tried three types. How did you try to raise them?
I tried several ways including BB and SSB with flow through and with an airstone at work.
I also tried in one my sumps at home over a DSB with caulerpa and chaeto.

The amphipods may be a problem with dwarf's, I have had them with Knysna seahorses (H. capensis), common pipefish and Belly barred pipefish with no problems, including seahorse fry. Some of the fry growing in the tank with the adults and amphipods, but if there is the risk with the dwarf's it will not be worth it. These were all at work and not at home (before others start flaming me). I doubt if separation with a mesh would suffice as separation as they would likely climb over if they could not climb through. For your larger seahorses they are a great treat. But in a H. zosterae they might go after the fry. In my case I suffered losses due to having them in my tank.
I won't take the chance after your experience as even if I could separate them with a suitable mesh they could climb over.

The not having success with mysids is why I think the Peppermints would be a good idea, along with other shrimps, I am not sure how available the Sexy shrimp and Red Lava shrimp are in SA, but from looking through a lot of stuff on the forums I do not think they breed as readily. I would want the fry as supplemental food. Has anyone tried harlequin shrimp with dwarfs, frequent water changes would be necessary anyway if providing pincushion stars is an issue, a big plus is pincushion stars are excellent as a clean up crew and reproduce readily when plenty of food is available. The Red Lava & Sexy shrimp I use as part of my CUC. Peppermint, cleaner and/or ghost shrimp are good choices for breeding purposes. But like you said, it is more as a supplement than their main diet.
I can get ghost shrimp extremely easily and sort them to put carrying shrimp in until they release and then remove the adults to increase the supplementation.
Do you know of anyone that has tried with harlequin shrimp?

Can you get hold of A. tonsa or Monia salina there? These copepods are very easy to raise & depending on the tank size; will provide you with 1 up to 7 feedings per week.
I will ask around with other aquariums and aquaculture places. Also with a friend of mine that imports aquarium supplies and livestock who had copepods on his list once before. I did once have a very small colony of some type of copepod but they disappeared when the tank was used to hold banggais. I am checking to see if they restart as the banggais have been moved.
I can also try and isolate copepods from collecting from the wild, but that may be risky as I may not be able to identify them.

Tim

Regards Steve

Hi Steve,

I started this thread: http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=7654 in regards to Tigriopus califoricus AKA Tiggerpods from Reed Nutrition. Randy Reed corrected me by stating that it is a Trademark name for his company. Me Bad!

Like the gammarus, there are mixed reports on their use with H. zosterae. I reported problems with them before and I tend to listen to what Dan U said about them. I also received a reply from Dr. Rhodes on the link.

I think it is the Genus Tigriopus and the species Tigriopus califoricus & Tigriopus japonicus that you will run across in the trade.

Tim

Hi, after your reply I checked the link and various other references on Reef Frontiers, they actually look like they are quite good and acceptable to Dwarfs, the other smaller copepods on the essential live foods section look excellent.

Hi, after your reply I checked the link and various other references on Reef Frontiers, they actually look like they are quite good and acceptable to Dwarfs, the other smaller copepods on the essential live foods section look excellent.

As long as you have all the info on them, then you are making an informed choice. Let me know how you like using them?

As you see on that thread. The copepods were sent back by customs. Lucky for me, I am able to order from Angi what I cannot find locally.

Tim

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Do you want me to answer on the org also or only here? Also indroduce yourself on the org and tell us a little about yourself? It looks like you have an interesting job and the go to person on this site.

Tim

Hi Tim, which section do they do intro's on. I'm not much of a go to person on seahorses, especially not on dwarfs, which I have no experience with.
I have experience with Knysna, Giraffe, Kuda? and Tigertail seahorses, Longsnout and recently Belly barred Pipefish. I have only successfuly raised Knysna seahorses and been unsuccessful with raising Tigertail seahorses.

Hi Tim, which section do they do intro's on. I'm not much of a go to person on seahorses, especially not on dwarfs, which I have no experience with.
I have experience with Knysna, Giraffe, Kuda? and Tigertail seahorses, Longsnout and recently Belly barred Pipefish. I have only successfuly raised Knysna seahorses and been unsuccessful with raising Tigertail seahorses.

Hi Steve,

Usually in the General Discussion or Seahorsekeeping. There is a good thread about H. comes right now.

By (go to guy), I meant that you seen to know where to source things and what is available to hobbyist in SA. I am basing it on post #68 & #69 on this thread.

Tim

Hi, I better introduce myself then, all the info is out there, if you do the research. It is the experience that needs to be gathered that is more important.

Hi, I better introduce myself then, all the info is out there, if you do the research. It is the experience that needs to be gathered that is more important.

Word of warning, when you mentioned Knysna; be prepare for lots of questions about them.:) I think they are on a lot of people's wish list including me. Looking forward to welcoming you.

Tim

In the early 90's we kept the H. capensis In our pet store & I would agree with warren they are easy to keep & maintain. around that time we were able to buy & sell the H. capensis. I would really like to keep them again someday as they are really awesome creatures.

That is also what I meant about being the go to guy. It was something about your job. May I ask what you do?

Tim

I am the aquarist in charge of the aquariums at Bayworld, an Oceanarium in Port Elizabeth, I also am involved with sea turtle rehab and to a far lesser extent involved with assisting the marine mammal and sebird sections.

In the early 90's we kept the H. capensis In our pet store & I would agree with warren they are easy to keep & maintain. around that time we were able to buy & sell the H. capensis. I would really like to keep them again someday as they are really awesome creatures.
Also probably the easist to keep and raise (even I can do it).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom