Seahorse tank

Discussion in 'Other Livestock' started by Annoying, 22 Aug 2010.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey everyone

Well I have finally decided what I want to put in my 180 L tank... a SEAHORSE:yeahdude:! Now I know these guy are hard to keep and needs allot of attention ,so I want to know all the details to keep these little guys happy. I'm not sure what species to choose but was thinking of the dwarf horses. I can supply a steady supply of newly hatched brine for the dwarfs and would love to have them. If the dwarfs are to hard to keep, is there any other type possible that you would recommend. The tank is 85cm L, 45cm W, 45cm H. I'm thinking of 2 types of setup. One being the normal tank with sump and skimmer the other(the one I'm favouring more at the moment) is that almost the entire DT is covered with sea grass. Acting as biological filtration and anchor spots for the horses. Then I will also add a canister filter with activated carbon and antiphos. Any ideas and concerns welcome. I would really love to do this as perfect as possible.:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. timinnl

timinnl

The H. zosterae will be lost in such a big tank. They do best in a 40liter tank with a powerdriven sponge filter. Dry base rocks & panacured/fwd marcoalgae.

Your 180liter tank is a great tank for the H. erectus. Go with the sump & skimmer idea. Add a few ***covered*** powerheads to the tank for extra flow. Provide them with areas of low, med & high flow rate.

You can make a feeding dish for them to eat out of. It will help keep all the food in place & it will help you to make sure that they are eating. For the H. erectus.

What do you have in the tank now?

Tim

Last edited: 22 Aug 2010
  4. timinnl

timinnl

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of what it looks like. Very simple to make. I glued a birdseed bowl to a magnet. I put the mysis inside the green tubing to get the food down to the bowl. I just added a couple of holes to the tubing to allow the water inside the tube to flow in & out. (I got the hole idea from Dan U.) Before the holes were drilled into the tubing, the water inside was foul smelling.

[​IMG]

They will quickly train you when it is time to feed them. They will gather at the bowl waiting for their food.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That's a brilliant idea, they look too cute hanging on there and feeding. :thumbup1:

6. Anemone

Anemone

I agree with Tim. The 180 L is much too large, The 40 L is good. How many dwarves are you starting out with?

7. timinnl

timinnl

I got the idea from the org. You might have to train them to eat from the dish, but they soon realize it for themselves. Makes keeping the tank clean easier. You don't have to worry if there is uneaten food in your tank somewhere.

Tim

8. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks a million Timinl! I'll propably go with the H.erectus then!:thumbup:

What do you feed yours?

9. timinnl

timinnl

I feed them live mysis, frozen mysis, live ghost shrimp, enriched adult artemia & I culture grammarus for them.

If I have the live mysis, then it is once a day live (morning) & frozen once a day evening (night).

Frozen twice a day if I do not have any live mysis.

Live ghost shrimp a less twice a month in season.

Artemia once weekly as a treat. I enrich them first before I feed them to the H. reidi & H. comes.

The grammarus are more for a inbetween snack.

Tim

10. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Hey timinl what other seahorses do you think would also work in the tank? Just in case I can't get the H. erectus . Don't know of the availibility in SA. I can order at a pet shop but still waiting for reply of what horses they have.

11. timinnl

timinnl

It all depends what the LFS can get for you. From what I gather, you guys are only getting wild caught or pen raise seahorses for now? Am I correct?

If they are wc or pr, it is best to deworm them. It is a 9 week process with three different meds. How is it with getting meds for seahorses over there? Here in NL & within the EU it is very hard to get the meds usually seen recommend on the sites from the states.

Whatever you can get from the LFS, it is best that you qt them.

If they are wc, you need to make sure you are able to provide them with live mysis. Live adult artemia is a second choice, but not a good one long term. During that time, you need to slowly wean them onto frozen food.

H. reidi is another good choice if they are available.

Tim

12. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Tanks Timi:thumbup:! Will find out at the lfs what meds they have and if they recieve wild caught or tank-bred. What is pen raised seahorses?

13. timinnl

timinnl

Last edited: 23 Aug 2010
  14. Anemone

Anemone

Captive bred seahorses that are trained to eat frozen will be arriving in South Africa soon. However, I don’t know if any will be available for purchase immediately or if they will be used solely for breeding and for sale at a later date. I would stay tuned…patience is the key!

I agree with having meds on hand. I would also familiarize yourself with the problems/disease associated with seahorses.

Pen raised fish are fish that are raised in the ocean in some sort of cage/pen/mesh. They are exposed to everything that a wild caught fish has been exposed to, and should be treated/medicated as a wild caught fish.

15. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I agree with both Brenda & Tim. Be patient as the captive bred seahorses may arrive in the next few months & still need to be bred so do lots of homework to prepare yourself. It will be worth wait.

16. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Well, the tank is starting it's journey. Cleaned it up yesterday and filled with RO and added salt and a few Kg's of live rock. Also added one or two macro algae I discovered in my sump:whistling:(not in the best condition). The tank has a 3000L/h return pump supplying the filtration and the flow in the main tank. I have a Jebbo skimmer(totally modified and working like a charm), a 100 Watt heater and live rock in the sump. In the main tank there is also a small patch of live rock that is only used for decor purposes. Next time I'm visiting the ocean I'll bring with me a crate filled with sea-grass:thumbup:, to serve as hitching post and giving the correct natural environment. The lighting for the grass is two 85 watt daylight energy savers, unfortunately I misplaced the second light and is still searching for it:p . I had them on my 700 liter tank and they were awesome at growing macro. I have decided to go with the H. erectus species as they are the easiest it seems for beginners and my tank size is perfect for them.

The tank filling up( still have to finish the cupboard )
    [​IMG]

The tank filled and everything(accept cupboard:razz:)

[​IMG]

The tank with the pile of live rock:
    [​IMG]

The sump: [​IMG]

Please any comments? Especially bad because this is the time where I have to make changes...

Last edited: 1 Sep 2010
  17. Anemone

Anemone

Erectus is a good choice! ;) How many do you plan to keep in this tank? Sea grass is nice, but it may not be a good hitching post for the Erectus. You may want to find some additional hitches.

As far as the heater...you may not need this. The temp. should be under 74 degrees F. Sorry, too late for me to do the temp. conversion. You'll have to do that. ;)

What do you plan to use as a cleanup crew?

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

74f = 23c

19. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Only going to keep a pare for now.. I would want to keep a max of 4 in the tank. But just going to start of with a male and female.The heater could work as the just in case. Temp here can swing from 30's to 10'c in a day. I would like to have more plants in the tank then artificial hitching posts, could you please give me a good macro that would work as hitching post. Is sea grass to weak or to thin for the erectus?

Clean up crew- firstly I'm thinking of running the tank for almost 5 months( only getting seahorses in December), I'm not gonna clean of any algae witch is going to create the perfect breeding ground for pods. All these pods could work as cleanup crew and extra natural food supply for the seahorses. Will also have the normal algae snail to help with detritus.

20. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks viper:thumbup:

21. timinnl

timinnl

If you have such a high & low of the temp range, you might want to consider a heater/chiller combo.

If you want the look of eel grass, consider this: caulerpa prolifera - Google Search It grows well & has a nice effect in the tank.

You can also add some nice branch live rock or the mangrove resin roots for them to hitch on.

Any ideas of what fishes you want in there with them?

Good choices for CUC are, mini brittle stars, mini sea star, stomtella snail & nas snail.

Tim

Recent Posts