Seachem ULNS/LNS

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Mewik, 3 Jan 2012.

1. Mewik

Mewik

Does SeaChem offer a ULNS system? I was thinking that if you combined Seachem Stability with the Aquavitro Fuel then you should land up with something similar shouldnt you?

I am wondering if I implemented the whole Aquavitro regime would the end result be a ULNS system? I see the salt mix goes on about it being for lns systems etc, yet they dont offer any LNS products like zeolith etc.

Im thinking if Stability is cheap and it: "contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.", then surely this could be viable if I added a carbon source?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Well you will end up with a monoculture of bacteria. As i explained in a few other threads most bacterial products on the shelves contain only bacillus spp and perhaps some nitrobacters. The reason for this is that its a very stable bacteria and will forms cists if it dries out so it doesnt die.

4. FransSny

FransSny

I agree with Henk , if you want to add bacteria to the system , look for a product which provides as wide a variety of sp as possible and which is self selective.

There are a few threads on MASA regarding bacteria dosing...I suggest read them before just jumping in as not all products are equal ;)

5. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Ah ok thanks, so its a bad idea lol?? I found one article online of a zeo system where the owner switched to dosing stability and vodka?? Seems he packed it in so no result there really, unless he killed himself, that is also a result I guess.

I wouldn't bother I my tank as my levels are always sat on 0, but if you did this on a new tank will the tank pretty much crash once you stop dosing the stability? In theory one should be able to maintain undetectable levels without liverock, dsbs etc as long as they can remove the bacteria that is doing the lowering and feed aa etc

6. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Yeah thanks guys, don't worry I'm just doing some research lol. Not gonna rush out and fry my tank just yet ;)

I've been doing a lot of reading on lns systems and am finding a lot of info that contradicts the last and next articles I read. Anyone have a bible of sorts that can be stuck to?

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Has the whole monoiculture theory been proven? Seachem does offer products to reach ulns, although not advertised as a ulns "package"

Stability as a bacterial culture,
    Matrix and de-nitrate as a bacterial real estate
    Matrix carbon for DOM adsorbtion
    Phosguard for po4 removal.
    Aquavitro Fuel as a carbon source, which also add amino acids vitamins and trace elements.
    Once ulns is obtainedn parameter tweaking can commence with iodine, strontium, iron, etc. They have relatively acceptable test kits for those.

Hope that answers your question.
    Due to concerns with phosguard, you are welcome to exchange it with a iron based product.

8. Mewik

Mewik Thread Starter

Ok that makes sense, I am pretty much on that setup at the moment besides the Matrix & Stability. I will look into the products further and maybe add them in. Thanks Ivan

Recent Posts