Oceanarium/ Public Aquarium

Hi Viper, the Moorish basically graze constantly on algae but also love the fragments of hake that are scattered by the seaturtles when we feed them. Generally they spread out over the whole tank but school together when we feed.
Crispin, see you for coffee next time you are down, we focus on the influence of the World on the Bay and the Bay on the world, unfortunately the mangrove display is going to be delayed by about four weeks due to a shortage of acrylic at present, we do have the specimens already.
Warr the ocky is slightly smaller than a water polo ball, ockies are extremely intelligent and we provide toys, etc. for enrichment. Usually baby toys, but they must not be able to scratch the acrylic. I will be purchasing new toys soon if anyone has any practical ideas, please let me have them.
I managed to get a large cuttlefish yesterday for the display, interestingly we saw about 9 or 10 butterflies that have recently come in to Swartkops, About 5 aurigas, 3 lunulas a vaggie and an unidentified b/fly. Rogan caught one auriga and one lunula.

Stephan, reading through some of the recent threads on the M oorish in here i really would like to congratulate u on being able to keep them so well. they are a eye catching piece:)

Found this while searching for "Surge Devices" Very impressive surge pool:

Wait for the pics to open on the page:

Maui Ocean Center

Maui_Ocean_Center_12_octopus.jpg
192 Ma'alaea Road,
Ma'alaea
South Maui
808-270-7000

The ocean has sustained the bodies and spirits of the Hawaiian people for hundreds of years. At the Maui Ocean Center you can experience the grandeur of the sea, where thousands of marine species can be viewed up close, in living coral reefs. Enjoy self-paced, interactive exhibits at the largest aquarium in Hawaii.​
More than 60 exhibits emulate the animal's habitat in the natural ocean, including the Underwater Journey where you can experience a tunnel that offers a 240-degree view of marine life in a 750,000-gallon open ocean tank.
Maui_Ocean_Center_18_jellyfish.jpg
Maui_Ocean_Center_20_underwater_walkway.jpg
Learn about the life of the humpback whales through interactive displays at the Whale Discovery Center. Turtle Lagoon allows you to see green sea turtles above and below water. There is an activity and educational experience for everyone!​
Useful Information:
  • Open Daily, 9am - 5pm
  • Admission: Adults, $18.50; Children, $12.50
  • Audio cassette players available in several languages can be rented for $2 each. Tune the player to the display number at each tank to hear about the type of fish and their environment in that specific tank.
Maui_Ocean_Center2.jpg
Maui_Ocean_Center3.jpg
Useful Information cont.:
  • Restrooms, gift shop, snacks, and meals available
  • Plenty of FREE parking
  • For Additional Information, GO TO: www.mauioceancenter.com
DIRECTIONS:
Take Highway 30 from West Maui toward South Maui. Past the Ma'alaea Harbor, turn right on Ma'alaea Road. The Maui Ocean Aquarium is on the left hand side.
Maui_Ocean_Center5.jpg
Maui_Ocean_Center8.jpg
Picture of a shark swiming across the bottom Picture of the Surge Pool
Maui_Ocean_Center_2_surge_pool_2.jpg

Last edited:
Jacques, I did not read all, but what I can remember (hopefully I could remember right) is that they use surge pumps, but will have to go search again to make sure

Thanks Sean... BTW: I LOVE the tank in the previous post (before the Maui one). The tropical tank in the Georgia aquarium, is UNBELIEVABLY BEAUTIFUL and REALISTIC!
AWESOME, MAN!

Thought I'd revive this thread.

We went to the 2Oceans aquarium this weekend. Some pics.

This monster is about the size of two fists next to each other. It's the biggest Hermit I've ever seen. If you fall in this tank my money is on the Hermit.

8354c43f1f749d90.jpg

The clown tank FTS. That's the Hermit on top of the left hand rock structure.
8354c43f2641838f.jpg

I think we all know where these come from. :)

8354c43f2d8a53cb.jpg

The Shark tank. I'm not sure what the school of silver fish are, but they really are a beautiful sight and compliments the tank really well.

8354c43f346dd1d8.jpg

Many thanks for sharing, JD! I had 2 of those exact same type of hermits in my tank - needless to say, that they were evacuated, as soon as they started taking pieces of "meat" from my leather corals! And I target fed them!

No problem JB! I also had one. GREAT substrate cleaner and a hard worker, but most definitely not Reef safe. They get huge though. I eventually gave mine away to a LFS.

Back
Top Bottom