Reaction score
greetings to all. I'm new to the whole experience. I want to learn what i can then try my hand at one once i think i'm ready.

Hi ManicManta! A very WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great to have you on board!
Congrats in deciding to start a GREAT hobby! Do you know Lindsay Pollard perhaps? He is also from Plet? He is also on MASA..... He has gone through the whole newbie thing already.

The 3 big things of keeping marines, are the following:
1) PATIENCE
2) Reading a LOT - a HUGE amount of reading and learning is required
3) at least SOME dispensable cash per month is required...

The biggest is PATIENCE....

Also - please do NOT just accept what any LFS has to say. Please double check EVERYTHING that your LFS says, with us......
You have here a bunch of people "who have been there, done that, and got ALL the T-shirts".... so, most folks here on MASA have made the mistakes, and know what the best, cheapest, best value for money, and most correct way of doing things are.....

Please read the "New Users" threads..... There's a LOT of questions answered in there.

Please tell us:
1) do you have a tank already? if so, tell us about it - show us pics
2) if you don't have a tank, tell us what you were thinking of getting?
There are many things to think of w.r.t to a tank:
- buy 2nd hand
- buy new
- get custom built
- get pre-manufactured/brand name
- DIY, build-it-yourself
3) think of the following:
- filtration: skimmer, DSB (deep sand bed), algae scrubber, life rock, sump, chemical filtration
- lighting: T5 flourescents, Metal halides, white light coloration, actinic/blue lighting, etc
- life-stock: what life-stock: compatibilty, suitability, requirements, etc
- test-kits
- biological de-nitrification cycle

This list is NOT concisive - as there are MANY more things to consider.... but at least it is a start....

Good luck on your journey.... Remember - we are here to assist you....

Hi ManicManta! A very WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great to have you on board!
Congrats in deciding to start a GREAT hobby! Do you know Lindsay Pollard perhaps? He is also from Plet? He is also on MASA..... He has gone through the whole newbie thing already.

The 3 big things of keeping marines, are the following:
1) PATIENCE
2) Reading a LOT - a HUGE amount of reading and learning is required
3) at least SOME dispensable cash per month is required...

The biggest is PATIENCE....

Also - please do NOT just accept what any LFS has to say. Please double check EVERYTHING that your LFS says, with us......
You have here a bunch of people "who have been there, done that, and got ALL the T-shirts".... so, most folks here on MASA have made the mistakes, and know what the best, cheapest, best value for money, and most correct way of doing things are.....

Please read the "New Users" threads..... There's a LOT of questions answered in there.

Please tell us:
1) do you have a tank already? if so, tell us about it - show us pics
2) if you don't have a tank, tell us what you were thinking of getting?
There are many things to think of w.r.t to a tank:
- buy 2nd hand
- buy new
- get custom built
- get pre-manufactured/brand name
- DIY, build-it-yourself
3) think of the following:
- filtration: skimmer, DSB (deep sand bed), algae scrubber, life rock, sump, chemical filtration
- lighting: T5 flourescents, Metal halides, white light coloration, actinic/blue lighting, etc
- life-stock: what life-stock: compatibilty, suitability, requirements, etc
- test-kits
- biological de-nitrification cycle

This list is NOT concisive - as there are MANY more things to consider.... but at least it is a start....

Good luck on your journey.... Remember - we are here to assist you....

I wanted to say exactly what Jacques said....:lol::whistling: Btw, Welcome to the Forum

yes jacquesb i know lindsay. he told me about masa. thanks for all the info.

i do not have a tank.

and i do not know what is the best way to go. I see that most of you prefer something in a more square shape for working space.

ManicManta - the more width (front to back) your tank has, the better you can aqua-scape the tank.... The higher the tank glass (top to bottom) the more impressive it looks, BUT, the stronger the lighting (more expensive, more heat generated, etc) have to be....

Great to have you along, warning this hobby is very addictive.....:thumbup:

hi there manicmanta

a warm welcome to you...

be assured the guyz at MASA are well equiped in experience and knowledge in the fields of aquamarine yet everyday you learn something new, ive learned a lot from the guyz and continue to do so, the most important tool is equiping yourself with knowledge so read and question as much as you can ;)

Welcome to MASA!!

welcome manicmanta glad to see u on the site,now u dont just have to take my word on marines,these gurus are WOW what can i say simply the best.

Hey dude, welcome to MASA.
bigger is better, ha! BIGGER is the only way to go! Get the biggest tank you can afford! haha. People here know everything! its awesome to be part of it.

Back
Top Bottom