Neil's 3ft Frag Tank Adventure

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have been toying with setting up a frag tank for some time now, and over the last year or so when i saw a good deal i bought bits and bobs for this setup.

I would love some comments on my design outlined below

equipment consists of
2x3ft tanks, one on a stand
2x54w T5's
1 x 150Wmh
2x150w heaters
2 x M620 (i think) seio's..
TS1
configured as such.....
91149dc6ec31ccf4.jpg

I have cut the bottom tank in half with a glass partition for one side or at least 1 third of the tank to act as an RO resiviour ..... i dont want lots of additional equip spilling over into the office... i.e. no space for an additional RO tank. Also the return pump will not sit on the DSB, but a few cm above this.

the right half will initially be used for softies propogation..... I urgently need to frag my sinulara and massive pincusion. partitioned off will be the left hand side, which i am toying with making a small nennie propogation area ...... no crispin it will not be with my GBTA, but thinking about trying to prop RBTA as has been done very successfully in the States in particular.

So guys .... please let me know your comments on this ... esp possible problems !!

looking awesome!!!
cant see any issues, except when u starting? :)

one addition, maybe a homemade carbon reactor, there will be loads of chemicals from softie and nemmie fragging

The only thing I would be concerned about would be propagating anemone's and corals in the same system. When you propagate these guys they release huge amounts of slime and chemicals and I would imagine that would affect one or the other. If you are going to do it this way then I would run a lot of carbon and also consider ozone, in fact ozone is almost a necessity in a propagation setup.

All cutting must be done outside of the tank and all specimens must be left outside for a few minutes to slime up after being cut, then rinsed in a separate bucket of tank water to remove as much slime as possible(which must then be thrown away), then placed back into the system.

Sorry, forgot to mention i would be putting in a carbon reactor of some sort, also a 50w halogen lamp for the chaeto.

Well emptying the FW tank prob this evening ..... then going to call on someone to help me drill it:whistling: :) then i need to get the plumming and return pump and set the thing up !!!

where is best for plumming goodies? builders WH?

thanks Viper, will look into the ozone option before i prop the nennies

no, i have a GBTA, crispins old one..... would only consider doing this once the frag tank is mature enough to handle it ..... know of somewhere where i can get a good one?

no, i have a GBTA, crispins old one..... would only consider doing this once the frag tank is mature enough to handle it ..... know of somewhere where i can get a good one?
No I don't, they seem to be terribly unavailable in SA for some unknown reason.

You should also line the tank with astro turf, this makes it a lot easier to remove the anemone's for propagating.

No I don't, they seem to be terribly unavailable in SA for some unknown reason.

You should also line the tank with astro turf, this makes it a lot easier to remove the anemone's for propagating.

hence my desire to prop them.....

i was thinking of lining the tank with egg crate, although i dont know if this will work as well as the astro turf.... i have already found a place where i can get astro will see how things develop

Moolis gets loads. I have seen at least 10 different Rose, Red, Pinks etc. in the last 3/4 months.

hence my desire to prop them.....

i was thinking of lining the tank with egg crate, although i dont know if this will work as well as the astro turf.... i have already found a place where i can get astro will see how things develop
Not so sure about the eggcrate, I think they will stick to that like glue. Rather try some astro turf, it's a tried and tested method.

Good luck and keep us posted as you go along. If you do find an anemone to propagate (Crispin's GBTA would be a prime specimen to slice up :p) please condition it religiously, feed it 3 times a week for 2 months minimum and keep it in good quality water. The more you condition it the more chance you have of a successful cutting and having both halves survive.

Thanks guys,

Warr i have seen some of the moolis ones and they look great, so will prob get from them when i do go for it.

Viper, thanks for the advice.... I have red up on RBTA's for months now, and would do this by the book with a mature tank, great lighting and water parameters, the correct flow etc etc .... i am a firm believer in feeding nennies regularly, and would of course condition the nennie before cutting it....... i think if crispin heard you say such things about his old nennie he would ...... um lets just say that the GBTA is safe for a LONG time !!

I have red up on RBTA's for months now
Great to hear :thumbup:

Don't worry about Crispin, I'll deal with him, he's only a couple of hours away from me :razz: Slice that thing :yeahdude:

Steady one there !! :)

Astore in edenvale, they have all the plumbing u need and best prices

according to your drawing i have all the plumbing parts at home :) along with those drill bits, all u need is a piece of 50mm pipe, from builders and some 20mm pipe from fab engineering in oxford road ferndale. R10 a meter

I must admit I have found Astore a bit on the expensive side, compaired to other suppliers.
they are a little but their service and quality for pvc etc is the top in SA

Jeeze thanks Dallas, Will call you and we can sort out a time to wek on the tank !!

Back
Top Bottom