Nadeems cube

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by NADEEM, 11 Dec 2012.

1. NADEEM

NADEEM

Hi, upgrading from the BOYU TL550, awesome tank, really going to miss it. will be up for sale soon.
    new tank currently being built, well still waiting for the glass.

DT : 650 x 650 x 500 - 12mm glass, black silicone, rimless
    Sump : 600 x 450 - 3 compartment
    Stand : 650 x 650 x 1000h

Lighting will be a 54W Cree LED unit
    Skimmer : reef octo 160xs
    Heater : jager 300W

my plan:
    Sump - first compartment will have a filter sock, skimmer and a uplift pump around 1500ltr/hr, second chamber some live rock and deciding whether or not to put some chaeto and some other algae, third chamber return pump only around 2500lt/hr

reason for 2 x return pumps is to create flow in DT, sort of a spaza CLS.lol. i do not want to have unsightly flow pumps in the display tank, what do you guys think of the idea and can you guys perhaps recommend some uplift pumps that i could use. i will split the return from each pump into 2, so will have 4 nozzles in tank to create flow.
    i will have 2 x 50mm overflow so will be bale to handle the extra water being pumped around

the cube will be standing in a corner, so 2 sides will be black, these black panels will hide the oveflow and return plumbing.

the thing that concerns me most with this is my idea for flow, so please guys, comment and let me know if the ltr/h rate is ok, if you feel it should be stronger or weaker pumps, and also what pumps to use. i have seen ATMAN pumps, they are very reasonably priced, how are these pumps.

will upload pics soon as tank is complete

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Falcon

Falcon

I also hate the idea of unsightly pumps in the tank and they are also a hazard to anemones so have a look at my magnifica cube thread to see how i handled it.

As for your idea i tried it on an earlier tank and it worked great i used two 2500lph atman pumps in my sump to supply two 25mm outlet pipes(one for each) in a 200lt tank and the flow was more than enough,the only slight issue i encountered was that i couldn't keep much in the fuge since the flow going through my narrow sump was quite a bit,I had a dsb in there and it worked great but no macros or cheato.

4. Falcon

Falcon

What cree 54w light you using btw?

5. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Shot for the advice Falcon, am going to give this idea a go with the 2 x return pumps, if it does not work well, then start saving for vortech.
    just checked out your thread and you did some aquascaping with rods, what rods did you use? i like the idea as i would want a high scape in the middle of the cube, leaving swimming space around it.

cant wait for this tank to arrive already

6. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

LED unit is from a non sposnor here in cpt so i dont think i can mention name, very nice sleek smart unit though, will post pics of it, and it is very reasonably priced compared to other LED units

7. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

Hey bra, I would reconsider the heater size coz 300watt jagger is long and I dnt see it fitting in ur sump .... Everything else seems perfect, you gna have fun with this tank....keep us posted, specially with pics, I would recommend 2xmp10s for this tank, u cnt go wrong .......

8. STC-1000

Problem you will find with the knock off CLS :lol: is that I still hav2 add directional endcaps,which is unsightly as pumps itself,else u gna just have a return function and not a proper flow like a powerhead will provide,even look into the tunze nanostreams, the ones without controler is much cheaper and they tiny so u can hide them in an around rockwork .....but for an almost invisible look, specially with the bvlack background, 2 x MP10s ..... U heard and saw mine in action... Ur opinion, were they noisy as most say they are?...and hw was the flow paterns??

9. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

awe bra, i already have a 300watt Jagger so thats why im hoping it will fit, will try make a plan, otherwise will get smaller ones. i checked their website and the say max glass thickness for MP10 is 9.5mm , this cube is going to be 12mm glass, so doubt magnets will work.

im going to give this return pump idea a try and see what happens, @gambit is s top notch plumber and will be helping me with my plumbing so hopefully we can get something done that works and is not too much of an eyesore

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

with out a doubt, your mp10 is quiet and the flow is awesome, BUT, they are very pricey and the glass thickness worries me.

knock off CLS......Lokl

11. STC-1000

Sorry bra, missed the 12mm part....so the 1x Mp40 on reefcrest and u A for a way lol .... But yeah they pricey so I would also opt then for the cls return mode, but then both pumps has 2 be in last chamber as u dnt wana extract water before its run properly thru skimmer ..... See by sams for the directional fittings that u use to control directions etc so u have flow in all areas to mimic the variable wide flow a stream pump puts out

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Sounds awesome!
    Good equipment selection and looking forward to seeing this progress

13. Falcon

Falcon

Yeah since you planning to have the first return pump in the first chamber it could work,I just don't think 1500lph will be enough to split into two and still give you enough flow in tank especially since you pumping from the sump up so pump pushes out less water due to the height and its less efficient since theres no real need for the water to go down and come up without any processing,cant you somehow have it in another chamber or something in your tank design?Maybe a box with overflow in the corner?

I used carbon fiber rods they are light,very strong and inert.Generally you get them from hunting/gun shops,get carbon fiber arrows and cut them to size,just be sure to soak them in saltwater first for a day as they have dye on in it which comes of in saltwater.If theres anything written on it just scrape it off with a blade.

Cool send me a pm with details please ;) Just want to see if it will be enough light for you,what corals are you intending to stock?Any anemones?

Last edited: 13 Dec 2012
  14. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Your design sound great, Will be following your build. Always great seeing a tank put together from scratch and following progress.

15. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

i have ordered sump with no partition/baffles in, so will work out myself and do that.
    will post pics and get advice before i do it though.

my plan is to have a nice high scape in the centre of tank, a few sps at top but mainly lps and softies, and yes i do intend keeping an anemone eventually, i would love a bubble tip anemone but run must run for some time before i do that, have approx. 16kg live rock in my current tank which i will take over and trying to get a bit more, as well as some softies/lps and my 2 clown fish. still deciding whether im going to have substrate or not.

16. Falcon

Falcon

Ok that could work although closer to 100 watt would be more ideal IMO.

But give it a try with the easier to keep corals for now and see how it goes.

17. Dane G

Dane G

deal me in on that pm please

18. NADEEM

NADEEM Thread Starter

Yo Falcon, yeah i really dont have the money to upgrade lights now, so will stick with this unit and see how it goes. hoefully it works just fine with what i keep and then all is good.

have been having some serious trouble trying to lay out sump, STC1000 gave me some very nice designs but i want ti to be very easy and simple.

popped in by @irie ivan this weekend and decided on design while i was there, simple 2 compartment sump, 1st chamber filter sock and skimmer, 2nd chamber liver rock and return pump. will also try and get some bio cubes in there somewhere. thank ivan, was fantasic meeting you guys

picking up tank tomorrow night, will post pics soon.

another thing i need to know is aboutt he wood which the tank rests on, i have pine BUT i wil have to use to pieces of pine to cover base of tank, the stand has a support in the middle so will the 2 pieces if pine under tank be ok??? or is this not safe? and is pine a good wood to use for this?

Last edited: 18 Dec 2012
  19. Mogamatseraajregal

Mogamatseraajregal

tank of the month

Can I nominate you for tank of the month even though this tank isn't in existance yet......I think it will win it.......you've got good no pests and the glass is so clean.....really got that brand new look.....

20. Salie

Salie

:lol:doudt it will win maybe next year same time, as a tank of month has to be running for a year atleast.

Looking forwArd to see Tankers

21. Salie

Salie

Please post plenty of pics:thumbup:

Recent Posts