Mark's Nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Kunhardt, 27 Mar 2014.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Its been approx. a year and a half since I last had a marine tank...actually thought it would be longer...but I have decided to get back into things again.

I have been looking at starting up something small for the last 3 months and have scrutinised all my options in the all in one tank department. Originally was going to go with a new Boyu TL-550, but then Innovative Marine hit the SA shores! They are tanks I have admired overseas since they came out over there so it was a no brainer to go with one of these.

Taken me a month now to decide between the Nuvo 16 and the 24, but in the end thought I would go for something slightly larger and have gone with the Nuvo 24.

[​IMG]

More specs can be seen here for those that are interested...

Innovative Marine

Lighting will be by eShine Aquabeauty 35w LED unit which I think should be more than ample for this little system.

Skimmer will be a Tunze 9002 as this is definitely the best skimmer in my opinion on the market in its size to fit in the back compartment of this tank.

I am hoping to go the Orca Bio Cube route...once I can find someone to supply to East London as they are not readily available over this side of the country.

As I am looking to keep predominantly soft corals and LPS with just 2 or 3 SPS pieces I am going to skip on any extra flow power for now and just add the IM Spin Stream Nozzles for a more random flow. May look at a MP10 at a later stage if things change. :p

Innovative Marine

Going to probably go with 3 islands for the scaping...whats nice with these tanks is, although they are narrow, they make up for it in length so I think something similar to the pic below will work best in this setup...

[​IMG]

Going to focus mainly on zoas, mushrooms, rics in the soft coral department, but going to be very selective about all corals with such a small tank and I want to focus only on corals with colours that stand out even if it means having to wait a while for the right pieces.

Some nice show piece LPS will finish things off... I have always loved my Cynarinas, scolymias, chalices, blasto's and Acans so these are definitely pieces I will be looking at again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SPS would just be some platings, maybe a birdsnest and some digi's...the lest demanding stuff basically :D

Want to do something different with this tank and focus a lot on Inverts and try and get a nice collection of different nano shrimps and crabs as well as a nice assortment of clams.

One Item I am really keen to get my hands on is a Pink Carpet Anemone...but never seen one in this country before...

[​IMG]

As this is a fish keeping hobby I will need one or 2 fish in the mix...Bluespot Jawfish will be my centre piece fish...3rd time lucky :O ...with some gobies and hopefully a tank bred mandarin in the mix.

That's it for now...hopefully tank will arrive sooner than later and we can begin this journey all over again...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Nice Mark. Cant wait to see how you turn this one into a masterpiece

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

hes back! told ya!!!

5. Seabass

Seabass

Welcome back Mark. Looking forward to following your progress. Are you going NSW?

6. RynoParsons

RynoParsons

Cool I also like those tanks nicely designed and awesome build quality. They have a cool little reactor that fits in the back also.

Looks like you have it pretty well planned in advance.
    Gona be a cool tank

7. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Welcome back! That system looks like it's gonna be awesome :thumbup:

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks guys! :)

Ya they are very nice looking tanks from what I have read and seen on the net. May look at the reactor for phosphate/carbon at a later stage...nice that the option is available if its needed.

I'm not sure yet...been thinking long and hard about that one myself...with such a small tank I may go salt mix, but not decided yet.

Hope you have started killing bulls for me! ;)

:biggrin:

9. Submariner

Submariner

Welcome to the Innovative Marine club

Hi Kunhardt

Welcome to the Innovative Marine Club :)

The nuvo has some great options and upgrades available to you.

Maganafuge .

Great gadget and awesome add on for your Nuvo, can do two things for you

A Allow for a nice refugium at the rear of the display

B Allow for a reverse light cycle to help your PH stability.

Hydrofill

Great gadget for looking after your water level and keep your salinity nice and stable.

It offers a first in the industry a comes with dual magnet mounted graphite electrodes that are not affected by snails crabs etc has they have no moving parts.

Hydrofill pump system

Pair your auto top off with the industry's first low voltage air lift pump specifically designed for ATO controllers. The HydroFill ATO Pump System eliminates the guess work, and comes complete with a lift pump, return pipe and acrylic mounting bracket, 10 feet of silicone tubing, 3 hose clamps, and an optional hanging mount.

Engineered for high performance, this external positive displacement diaphragm pump, outputs up to 15 gallons per hour and max 5 feet of head. This self-priming pump is equipped with a built-in check valve to safeguard against back siphoning.

Custom Caddy

Customize your mechanical, chemical, and biological filter media or convert to a living refugium with our larger and more robust CustomCaddy media baskets. Choose between your favorite filter pads, activated carbon, ion exchange resins, or synthetic polymers to target specific toxins and pollutants.

You also have the option to add skimmer and Innovatives award winning biopellet reactor :)

Last edited: 28 Mar 2014
  10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Thanks Nathan, and thanks for all the extra info! Love the IM Hydrofill...wasn't actually aware you were stocking these as well...an item I will definitely be getting from you in the next couple of months. :thumbup:

For those that haven't seen this ATO in action here is a video from Youtube...

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Nov 2015
  11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I've seen these tanks yesterday. Rather neat. Very impressive.

12. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Looking forward to seeing one in action myself! :biggrin:

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Only one thing that I do not like, the base or stand it is on. Looks very cool and nice. But it will be a place that will be dirty for me. My hand does not fit in, and most men hands would not either. So I cannot clean that area with a towel. Need a special contraption to be able to get into that spot. I will set it up without using the stand. But that is just my own opinion. Rest of the tank looks nice.

14. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Nothing a duster cant fix ;)

15. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Yes a duster...or a maid with small hands! :whistling:

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My maid do not come close to the tank.

Maybe your wife or girlfriend. Will make part of the tank maintenance her responsibility. :thumbup: Getting her involved.

17. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Pffft...not likely to happen...she doesn't maintain anything around the house as it is! :lol:

18. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

My Bio Cubes arrived today!

[​IMG]

Thanks @bryan ...that's some seriously speedy service mate! Super impressed!

[​IMG]
    Traded my sister my old 40L Jebo for a stand for my new tank...needs some cleaing up and to be repainted which I will do this weekend hopefully.

[​IMG]

Got a new Refractometer today as well...thank goodness my account is still open at the LFS! :D
    Thanks @jclaas for the heads up that they had one in stock.

[​IMG]
    Got about 2kg's of aragonite out of my old Jebo that I will use to seed the new system...

[​IMG]
    ..as well as a couple kilo's of liverock. Worried there may still be some Aiptasia in this rock somewhere...haven't seen any on it lately, but they were there a year ago...hoping the 1.035 salinity has killed it off in the Jebo. :p

[​IMG]
    Will be getting this extra liverock on Wednesday from @brentch!

So things are moving along.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. jclaas

jclaas

You welcome :).

20. brentch

brentch

Looking good! Be certain that the aptasia is gone on the other rock, cause you're getting virgin quality stuff from me:p

21. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

haha will do! :lol:

Recent Posts