Joe's 60 cube

Hi

Not much report. Really starting to enjoy the tank :m01: There has been some okay growth but most corals are showing some good colours.

I have backed down on the potassium dosing since the last post. However it almost seems that some of the green colours have faded. I will implement a 1 ml every second day and see if things colour up a bit better.

I was fortunate to have picked up a frag of this from @Premium Aquatics

There were some super nice pieces.

I think when this frag has grown a bit I will replace my green millepora with it :m01:

The following corals have been my favourite lately

Hi :m01:

No pictures today - just finished cleaning the tank and lights are off. Will post some pics at a later stage.

Just some general points

From undetectable PO4 and NO3 to What the.....?

For the last month or so my PO4 has been ranging from 0.159 ppm to 0.246 ppm and NO3 from 5 ppm to 20 ppm.

I have reduced the amino acid dosing for now - dosing 0.

I suspected that my cheato might have been rotting in the middle where it received no light. However, this was not the case. I did harvest a large amount from the middle as it was fairly disgusting. This did reduce the PO4 levels to 0.159 ppm.

Cheato growth has been ok but nothing impressive. Started dosing small amounts of iron to see if this will improve the cheato growth.

The next item on the agenda was the sump. Cleaned the sump today for the 1st time since starting the tank. Will see if this contributed to the spike.

The 2 last items I can think of are as follows:
  1. Feeding too much but I will not be able to reduce this. I will have to step up my husbandry and filtration to deal with this.
  2. My fish are getting too big for my tank :m24: Might have to swap some out for smaller ones.
I still have some room to increase the skimming - more wet skimming. I can still increase the photo period for the cheato and add another light.

I have spotted some patches of GHA due to this.

Divorce is not an option, murder is

Found my dominat female anthia dead Wednesday morning :m24: I suspect that she might started turning into a male.

I did pick up a small female and she is doing well :m01: eats super shrimp like a pig.

New additions

Also added some new coral this week. The 1st piece is a Australian Red Goniapora and the 2nd is an Orange Pavona Maldivensis.

Took me a few days to find a spot for the goni as my tank is geared for SPS. Since adding it to its spot, there has been some polyp extention.

I added the pavona today so its still very upset. Never had one of these before so not familiar with the reaction to dipping. As at the time of lights going off, it still had some white slime on it. I hope it looks better tomorrow morning.

Annual tasks

Replaced UV sterilizer bulb and 3 of the 4 T5's. Waiting for ATI stock to replace the final one.

Any chance you can share and updated fish stocking list please?

Back
Top Bottom