Baz Design 1.5m Reef

Baz

Reaction score
Hi MASA,

Been busy with a new tank for the past two years or so. While I enjoyed some success in reefing with my very first tank, the second tank had some challenges and lots of headaches. This prompted me to take the plunge and build a 5 foot reef tank and going back to what worked for me. Took me about 6 months to plan everything and get a setup that suits my taste and design before the build began. I am happy with the outcome and proud to say I designed and built everything myself from scratch. The build has taken me about 18 months so far, so hopefully I can get it wet soon...
Dimensions:
Tank 12mm glass 1500mm(L) x 700mm(W) x 450mm(H)
Sump 8mm glass 1200mm(L) x 450(W) x 450mm(H)

This tank will be SPS dominant, bare bottom and have tons of flow. For light I bought a 2nd hand Giesemann 8x 54W Matrix T5 fixture. Might incorporate some leds later on, but the T5's will be the main source of light for this tank. Flow wise in the tank I will be using 4x Jebao OW40 pumps. Return side will be 2x DC3000 pumps each running a separate return into the tank. Skimmer is a H&H body with a DC5000 pump upgrade. For control I will be using a Reef Angel for ATU, Timers, PH and Temp reading.

At this stage the tank is about 90% finished. Still need to sort out the power and control side of things and do the rock work.

Big Shout out to all the Vaalies and my reef buddies for listening to my boring plans for so long and all their input in the design stages. :bigthumbup:

@Vleis Visagie Hiers hy nou... :lookhere:

Will be posting pics of the build as I get time, but here is a sneak peak of the sump.

The stand was probably the one thing that had to be different for me. I wanted the frame to be visible, so I ended up building the cabinet into the frame. For that to give the correct look I was after, I ended up using nice and beefy 75mm square tubing.
Stand Build

More to follow...

The base of the tank was built using a solid 10mm panel and three separate panels on top of that. I wanted it to be black so I first used silicone and rubbed it on the smaller panels and then set them onto the already applied silicone of the solid panel.

The tank has a 10mm overflow panel with the holes for the returns and overflow cnc'd so no drilling was needed. The back panel of the tank has holes corresponding with the overflow panel. Worked out great with the plumbing and return nozzles.

Here it is in place

I battled to get a laser bed big enough to cut this size plexiglass sheet in one go. Luckily I got a place and the two piece overflow panel was avoided... Here it is in place.

Return nozzles fitted

More to come...

wow...

I'm speechless...

Other than the missus that could have lost it seeing the dinning table abused, I'm really impressed.

I'm speechless...

Other than the missus that could have lost it seeing the dinning table abused, I'm really impressed.
LOL yes she was patient in the beginning. Gave me space to do what was needed luckily. At least the tank is built now so shes got the dining room back. Now all the tank hardware all over just needs to also disappear. :m28:

The sump build was quite involved. Built the sump, cleaned and leak tested it before all the rest could go on.

And a quick test fit to see where it was at in the stand

Next step was to cut the plexiglass for the front of the sump.
Test fit

Then it was time to finish the sump by wrapping the whole sump in vinyl and adding my personal touches.

More to Follow...

Skimmer and the light got some much needed TLC...

Light Before (Thanks @Atilla for this beast of a T5)

Then I saw a Giesemann with black and white and thought.... Might actually work with the tank theme so I went ahead and changed it to suit the tank.

The Skimmer body was also beat up and less a silencer. (Thanks @leslie hempel) So I took some Novus polish, 1200grid sanding paper and some elbow grease.

Before

After

Also built a DIY silencer for the skimmer. Seems like silencers are made on mars because no one can supply them..

and on the skimmer

And lastly a side by side....

More to follow...

Awesome job on the setup! It's going to be a stunning setup! Definitely heading in the right direction:m16:

Reactions: Baz
I added the filter sock holder last. Used two 5mm plexiglass pieces each cut with a different diameter hole to get that lip I was after to seat the sock correctly. Could have used a 10mm piece and cnc it, but thats crazy expensive. So I just glued them together instead. Works perfect. I'ts resting on two 6mm pieces of glass siliconed in place then finished off on top with a black den braven bead.

For plumbing I decided to go the route where I can remove everything if need be. You never know what happens down the line..

I used tank fittings and unions to basically plumb everything in the sump to the union separately and the same for the back of the tank.
The shopping list was rather big for this to work... :m85: But I am glad I did it this way.

Drilled the wood and test fitted the unions

Then it was time to plumb everything.

And the Sump

I still have to change the color of those valve handles. Red single union valves are scarce :m51:

Very nice tank... And a really like the red PVC, didn't think you could get that here in SA

Edit: let me rephrase I was told you couldn't get that in SA and that you can only get white

Last edited:
Very nice tank... And a really like the red PVC, didn't think you could get that here in SA

Edit: let me rephrase I was told you couldn't get that in SA and that you can only get white
Thanks

The white pvc pipes are actually meant for low pressure applications like drains and offcourse electrical trunking. The high pressure (shedule 80 I think) pvc pipes in SA are usually a light blue color. Most hardware and irrigation stores stock them. I ordered these from petstop a while back. You can allways vinyl wrap them any color you want though. That is way cheaper and the color options are endless :m06:

I wouldve done it diff. Meh
Jy sali... :m13:
Jokes aside...

Super Gorgeous build so far dude...

Some might not notice, but the stand doesnt have a vertical support infront of the sump, which gives you alot of work space.... Also why its so beefy
Thanks choppa.

The middle support would have spoiled the end result for me so its a two birds one stone thing. Real easy access to the sump now yes. Makes it effortless to add and remove the skimmer which is a job in itself being so large. Down the line cleaning the sump should also be a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom