How to connect my skimmer correctly

dogstar

Chromis
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought a second hand reef octopus skimmer DNW-150.

I would like to know how to connect this up to my system so that i can plan the plumbing etc.

I will plan to provide water to the skimmer from the tanks overflow and them pump to my sump.

I have no idea where what goes (and forgot to ask properly when i collected it :( ).

Here is a pic of the said skimmer.

120248eb30895a7a7.jpg

lanzo

Clarion Angel
Reaction score
don't use the overflow to feed it, get a 1000l/h feed pump and rather feed it with that from the sump

lanzo

Clarion Angel
Reaction score
that water will get skimmed if you place the feed pump in the 1ste chamber...imo surface skimming and skimming is the same to me, water will eventually pass true the skimmer

dogstar

Chromis
Reaction score
thanks for the input lanzo.

so what is "in" on the skimmer and what is "out"? i am not sure what goes where on it.

If i connect it as you suggest, is this the sequence of flow:

1. water from the tank goes into chamber 1 of the sump.
2. from chamber 1 of the sump, water is fed to the skimmer
3. from the skimmer, the water goes to chamber 2 (DSB) of the sump
4. DSB flows into chamber 3 of the sump
5. Chamber 3 feeds the water back up to the display tank

lanzo

Clarion Angel
Reaction score
yip you got it( skimmer water can return in first chamber too, but 2nd will be better)

do you see the little pipe sticking out on the left just above the one pump...that is the inlet, the outlet is the pipe on the right with the ball valve, water will exit in the middle of that pipe and not the top;)

dogstar

Chromis
Reaction score
thanks. I thought most guys supplied the skimmer straight from the overflow. Will hook it up as described. Have to get another pump though.

With the water returning to the DSB from the skimmer, is that not gonna stir up the sand and what about bubbles in the water??

Mathewis

Damsel
Reaction score
I would run the overflow directly into the skimmer. You can just control the flow with a ball valve.

bushwacker_69

Shrimp
Reaction score
hmmmm u guys are giving me ideas now to do the same...what would you say in the long run better to supply from sump?? or overflow??

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score

dogstar

Chromis
Reaction score
yup it does.

My concern with the return from the skimmer going directly to the DSB. Are bubbles not entering this chamber and secondly the water would stir the sand in the DSB??

scubaninja

Achilles Tang
Reaction score
what you could do is get a plastic bag and tie it to the return from the skimmer with a cable tie, or many. then get a razor and slice a few slits in the bag below the water level, then make a few smaller slits in the top of the bag so the air can escape. problem solved. also helps to reduce noise and salt creep:)

bushwacker_69

Shrimp
Reaction score
so essentially in this method a reef tnak wouldnt need an overflow...hence no drilling or conversions

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Good Idea, but does not work, too much fluctuation in water level, and you battle to set the skimmer properly.
I have my DNW-200 running exactly like this without any problems and it runs externally, so i have more space for DSB :)

dogstar

Chromis
Reaction score
so essentially in this method a reef tnak wouldnt need an overflow...hence no drilling or conversions
I think you still need the overflow:whistling:. You pumping from the sump to the skimmer. Without an overflow (hang-on box or in-tank chamber) how would the water get from the tank to the sump? A pump in the display tank to the sump?

Or have i misunderstood the question?

(ps, i am a beginner, i might be wrong above)