Herbivore for Nano Tanks

Reaction score
Hey Guys and girls

I have a nano tank 45cm cube.

Any opinions on what would be a good herbivore for this tank size?
guy at the pet shop recommended a regal Tang, after some research i found that this fish will be far to big for my tank the pet shop guy said it wont grow bigger than the ideal size for my tank, is this true? and if it is true is this not bad for the fish?

tanks a mill

Hey Guys and girls

I have a nano tank 45cm cube.

Any opinions on what would be a good herbivore for this tank size?
guy at the pet shop recommended a regal Tang, after some research i found that this fish will be far to big for my tank the pet shop guy said it wont grow bigger than the ideal size for my tank, is this true? and if it is true is this not bad for the fish?

tanks a mill

If he recommended a regal for your tank, I would not go back to that shop, he was just looking for a sale.

Any specific reason your looking for a herbivore, do you have algae issues.

I would look at a Sailfin/Algae Blenny (Salarias fasciatus), not the best eaters though, so he won't consume that much algae

If the regal was tiny like 3cm how many of them comes in lately then ill go for it. Anything bigger than 5cm will he cruel. If you do find one thats very tiny be prepared to catch and sell him again in few months time. I had a tang in my 40cm cube that was tiny and later sold him when he was close to 8cm.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
must be honest that normally that fish store is really good, but does show you that research and asking a question here is far better then just listening to one person. THANKS GUYS!
i do have some algae had and out break of more red type of algae but now starting to get a fair amount of long green hair like algae on my rocks.
ccf847d472a963b4ee3bf8d559187e35.jpg

must be honest that normally that fish store is really good, but does show you that research and asking a question here is far better then just listening to one person. THANKS GUYS!
i do have some algae had and out break of more red type of algae but now starting to get a fair amount of long green hair like algae on my rocks.

Rather than investing in livestock too fix the algae problem, fix your water parameters and maintenance schedule.

What level is your NO3 and PO.

Running GFO for a while will should get rid of all the algae

went to another fish store later one that i really like and had my water tested i normally get my water tested at least every second week. If my levels are off i then move to testing every week till they stable.

N03 is at 0.1
P0 is a 0.1
@3dd what is GFO? if you mind me asking?

went to another fish store later one that i really like and had my water tested i normally get my water tested at least every second week. If my levels are off i then move to testing every week till they stable.

N03 is at 0.1
P0 is a 0.1
@3dd what is GFO? if you mind me asking?

GFO - Granulated Ferric Oxide

You put a small amount into a reactor and slowly run water through, it will remove the PO from the water. Although not very high 0.1 is a bit high, and the PO the water would be consumed by the algae thus not reflecting the true value of PO in the system

i was thinking that it would not have a true reflection, i dont have a reactor as i dont have much space to work with being my tank is a nano with a small sump, can i run it through the filter sock?

You can run it in bag inside your filter sock its just not as effective, but will work

You will also have to massage the bag probably daily. Think Seachem Phosguard might work better cause of it shape allowing water to easily pass through it than what GFO would

i Saw Seachem does a bag so i just place the posguard or GFO in the bag and place that in my filter sock and then move it around every night?

You can run it in bag inside your filter sock its just not as effective, but will work

You will also have to massage the bag probably daily. Think Seachem Phosguard might work better cause of it shape allowing water to easily pass through it than what GFO would

Seems like Phosgaurd might be a better alternative when using media bags than GFO

thanks @3dd and @Toolboysa much appreciated.

@3dd i like the skimmer you are running in your tank i got a dymax one that looks like its dying, what is the make and model of your skimmer if you mind me asking

must be really good with the price tag is has.

Skimmer is a very crucial component for a reef tank, so not really something where one should be saving money. But this one was cheap compared to my previous tanks skimmer, nano tanks are just so easier on the pocket :biggrin:

yeah this is my first tank and s much as people say it is expensive you dont actually realise how expensive it is

Back
Top Bottom