my LPS, Pipe organ coral
53704f37dd1233654.jpg

Button polyps
53704f37dd123e644.jpg

and the thread title
53704f37deaac163b.jpg

Now, to find fellow aquarists (reefers) in Potch

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish my tank looked like that! Beautiful!

Mine's full of cyano and GHA :blush:

congrats on the tank!

nice looking tank love the softies. they will look great once grown out in a while

Eish... To find the patience to wait....;)

Looks Great
I wish my tank looked like that! Beautiful!
congrats on the tank!

Thank you, It was a loooong wait..

turn the couch around will ya, way better for your neck
Yes, It might be better for the neck from that side, however, I did ALMOST tip the couch twice getting WAAAAAYYYYY too excited about all the nice things I saw in there.

The up-side is that the tank is between the sitting area and my study table. Thus I have more time to view while studying... (Probably will slow the studies down a bit though...)

Difficult to juggle time between studies, drooling over the tank, and surfing MASA.

Tsk, tsk....

Glad you are happy.
now to keep your eyes on your study material.

Clowns and frags.... We have to talk.

Just need a small piece of rock to tie down that pipe organ coral.

@RiaanP What is there to talk about?

Frags and Clowns in my tank... ergo it is mine... end of discussion.

Happy now that we "talked" ?

But I will say this... BIG Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Just a bit more info.

The "engine room"

53704f37f6e23f3b9.jpg

Just Some background on the system...

The LR was cycled for more than a year, coming from @RiaanP system. Basically all life comes out of an already running and healthy system.

The pincushion frags came from a specimen in Riaan's tank that just love to frag itself, no human intervention needed!

Live stock.

2 Ocellaris Clowns (Supposedly Riaan's until I can find my own, but this might lead to a debate. They are already named, and spawned twice in my tank... Think they should stay...

The frags on the plugs are still his, but that will lead to another discussion alltogether...

There are 4 different colours of zoa's.
Two different colours of button polyps
4 / 5 different coloured mushrooms.

1 orange and 2 green Ricordia

1 smallish brittle seastar (locally collected)

5 Nerita snails (Might take some out, trying to find balance between nr of snails and algae growth)

3 Yellow ring cowries

4 Yellow tip hermits

2 Red rock anemones

1 HUGE stomatella snail

1 Pipe-organ coral

Loads of small feather worms

Pod population is growing.

Small brittle stars

Bristle worms

Spaghetti worms

Red Bubble algae. (Should I keep them? It does look rather nice):blush:

My wishlist:
More softies, but prefereably on plugs, or VERY small LR
1 clam (the one that is suitable for rock - Distance from light is approx 10 cm. Will still investigate feasibility...)
2 Cleaner shrimp
1 Yellow Midas Blenny
1 Blue yellowtail damsel

Either one of the following:
Pigmy Dusky angel
Six-line wrasse or Fairy wrasse
Smith's blennie
Lemon coral goby
Fire goby
Bangai Cardinal might be considered...

No tangs will be tortured, tried, or considered... I know my limitations!

Substrate is aragonite.

Total LR amounts to 13kg.(This includes the LR pieces in the 1st chamber)

Engine room:

1st chamber contains LR pieces and a 50W heater. On top of LR pieces is a piece of filter mat. This is to catch big detritus coming from overflow. The mat is replaced every 2 -3 weeks.

2nd chamber contains (from bottom up) Left-over bioballs, ceramic rings, and the skimmer fitted on top of that.

3rd chamber contains a via-aqua 1100 L/h return pump with filter floss.The filter floss was placed over the pump due to the skimmer releasing microbubbles thst return pump sucks in, blowing it into the display area. This is now limited, by the floss.

Riaan removed the plastic from the back panel, and the engine room is now visible from all sides. You can actually see if there are any excess settlement on and under the bioballs / ceramic rings. So far so good...

The only foreseeable problem is aiptasia... Once there were 4... now there is 3... Tomorrow will be 2... Using Vineagar...

Tank is looking terrific, your off to a great start.

Thanks @butcherman. It does pay off to read and read, and then read and then some...

Also of course it is VERY beneficial to know the right people!!! Especially since I am a bit clueless with DIY!

As long as you are happy Gesiggie

The male clown is tank bred. And he does not host at all. The female is wild caught and used to host in my big pin cushion. Then she stopped. For some reason she does not host any more and joins the male in the open areas. Although sticking around to a common spot. I doubt if she will revert back to hosting as the pin cushion gets bigger. They did spawn 3 times in this tank before I delivered it, so they are happy.

Back
Top Bottom