dosing help pls

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by roderigo, 6 Oct 2012.

1. roderigo

roderigo

Hi guys found out that my kh is 5.7 so I added some buffer and got it back up to 7.3 witch is ok my calcium is 380 to 390 would like it to be 400 I've got some kalkwasser and gane make the drip now just how to maintain this values safely any help and tips to get me started

Last edited: 6 Oct 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sammy

Sammy

don't for get also to ensure you Mg is ok, to maintain their stabilty all 3 should be at the desired levels else you will battle.

Here's some handy info I find extemely usefull in understanding the chemistry: http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

4. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Yep did read that bud but don't have a mag test kit yet all my par were in cheak then all of a sudden bang The boom hit all my sps in the tank is taking a beating due to this my mont cap is RTN badly it happened so fast did not see this coming

5. Pete

Pete

Please remember that when lifting you ALK,MAG,Cal that this should be done slowly and not all at once.

6. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Thank noted will do

7. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Hi guys I'm still a bit mixed up with this hole thing my calcium is at 370 my alk is at 8.3 what is a good balance for calcium would 420 be ok iv got a 500ml cock bottle that I made a drip system out of how muck kullkvasser must I mix in it I used. 1 tea spoon let it sit for 7hrs and dripped over night did not see much chang total system volume is +- 300 liters please help i

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You cant rely on kalk to keep KH and calcium at the desired level. One parameter will get depleted faster than the other. Get a calcium additive to raise your ca to the desired levels.

9. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Yes I do know that just don't know how much kalkvasser to mix in my drip bottle to get it from 370 to 420 safely ? Any guide line or tips in this area will help then ill work on the maintains does after I get my level up,I'm happy with my alk at 8.3 its just the calcium level I need help with ,my alk buffer I put into my ATO system witch worked well for me

Last edited: 12 Oct 2012
  10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Roderige - the alkalinity in the tank, is to ensure that the pH swings in the tank, does not have too much of an effect on the lifestock.

Calcium on the other hand - feeds the corals, and corraline algae.

I have always used kalkwasser to dose my tank. But - keeping calcium stable is only really achieved with a calcium reactor.

You will still have some calcium level swings - up and down. But - believe me - your corals actually adapt over time (very slowly) to YOUR tank and YOUR feeding regime!

11. 459b

KALK has a very low solubility in water, so it doesnt matter how much you add only so much of it will dissolve. You generally add about two teaspoons to 2litres of water and only drip the clear liquid and not the precipitate (unless you doing slurry method).
    Overdosing on KALK will have more efffect on your KH than upping your calcium. Rather use a calcium supplement to raise the levels and KALK to maintain them BUT you will need to occasionally add additives to keep ca in check.

roderigo likes this.
  12. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Ok will use the guidline and see how it gos and will keep an eye on my alk

13. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

How many times would you recommend using the left over white stuff in the bottle after the first does ? Or must I throw it away and make a new batch ?

14. 459b

Most guys throw it away.

15. jacquesb

The "white stuff" Roderigo, is a compound of calcium carbonate. Calcium, reacts with carbon-dioxide in the water, which frees the creates the complex compound calcium-carbonate. This is not the same calcium-carbonate used to buffer the tank with, as it is insoluble.

You can use it as "substrate" if you want - and when this gets to the lower regions of a DSB, it would most likely be broken down again.

16. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Oh I did not know that bud will throw it away then

17. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Should I do it at 1 drip per second or slower ? System volume is 300 liters

18. 459b

choose a drip rate and monitor parameters closely for a few days then adjust the drip rate as needed. Drip rate will depend on what you have in your tank.

19. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Yes I understand but I don't want to maintain at this point I want to increase from 370 to 420 then maintain can I do this in an 24hr period or must it be like 2 day eg

20. 459b

If your kh is fine and you only want to increase calcium, then use a calcium supplement. Increasing kalk will increase KH and calcium so wont really solve the problem.
    The amount of kalk youll have to dose to raise calcium by 50 will have shocking effects on kh and pH.

21. jacquesb

Just to add to this:
    Adding kalk to your tank does increase your pH! Just be careful that you don't push your pH up too much....

Recent Posts